Oosterdam Dec San Diego

psxer989

I've been cruising on NCL for years, but making the switch to HAL.  Going on the Oosterdam in December out of San Diego.  I usually leave from Long Beach, so this is my first time at San Diego.  I'll be driving down from the Riverside area.  I already prepaid for parking at the Wydham so no worries there.

1. I plan on bringing my bags from the parking garage (3 or 4 bags) myself.  It looks like it is an easy short walk to the terminal.  Is it?

2. I usually would board NCL around 11:30am, but it looks like HAL is pretty strict with a 1pm boarding time.  Is this true or can i get on earlier?

3. If I get my car parked early, since I want to give myself plenty of time for traffic, is there anything within walking distance of the port to kill time?

I did search for San Diego port info but most is about hotels or older info so any advice is appreciated!

The Wyndam is right across the street from the cruise terminal.  Even with luggage, you should have little problem in walking to your destination.  There is a Maritime Museum close to the cruise terminal, and Little Italy is a three or four block walk from the Wyndam.  In short, there's a lot of stuff to do in this small area of San Diego.

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Within walking distance is the Midway.

I wouldn't bother paying the admission fee.  It takes several hours to really tour the Midway.  There's a Ralph's in downtown that you may want to stop at to pick up wine, water, or any last minute items.  When Seaport Village was still in SD, that was something to do before boarding the ship.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  Really, 10:30am?  It's about a 90 minute drive so getting there will be fairly easy.  Figure if they aren't letting anyone board I can go find an early lunch place.  I'll still be able to check my bags first though right?  I've never done that without boarding immediately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roz said:

I wouldn't bother paying the admission fee.  It takes several hours to really tour the Midway.  There's a Ralph's in downtown that you may want to stop at to pick up wine, water, or any last minute items.  When Seaport Village was still in SD, that was something to do before boarding the ship.

Seaport Village is still here! We take our coaster a couple of times a month from our home in Leucadia at the beach. There is a lot you can do. First your parking is right across from the Terminal. No worries. 2nd we are having a lot of construction with our new port side right next to terminal! It has been inthe works for a couple of years now with new restaurants etc. right along our waterfront right next to the Terminal is a outside bar/outdoor eating that is nice!! You can enjoy sitting there and the food is nice. Great people watcher area. Seaport Village 

is a nice place to go for a walk and a lot of shops and restaurants. We were having lunch at Harbor House and the staff said that a new developer is coming on and bull dosing it all and revamping the area with condos, rentals and a more Urban vibe to it! The area is over 30 pulse years old now. 
So in another 2 years new construction will happen.

Disregard the quote strict 1:00pm check in! We have never had a problem and please relax enjoy your time!! Will be down for our Rotterdam in March!

PS Midway watch from a distance! You can see the jets on the flight deck!! Too long of a tour!

PS again🙄 Ralph’s is down the street by 4 blocks! Our daughter has a Condo in the area. To me being your wine what you want from the car. Remember Relax and 
Have a great time!!

Denise😊

1 hour ago, psxer989 said:

Awesome!  Nothing I like better than getting on a ship early and relaxing!

We usually stay at the Wyndham because of the ease to walk across the street with our luggage.  If you’re paying for parking there,  you could probably leave your luggage with them and explore a bit of the area.  Lots of places to see and have lunch before getting on the ship.  

Have  you joined your roll call (if interested).  We are doing a back to back on the Oosterdam (late November) to Mexico and heading to San Diego a few days early-love it there.

Hope you enjoy your cruise! 

HAL normally starts boarding  between 11:30 and 12. And normally the cabins are ready. Check to see if the dining room on deck 2 is open for a nice relaxed lunch. Crew will probably tell you only the Lido is open but unless there is some sort of event, the MDR should be open from noon to 1:30. Enjoy your cruise on the Oesterdam.

• Like 1

To the OP: you will find San Diego's cruise ship experience superior to Long Beach. Alhtough the LB terminal is more modern, the San Diego cruise ship terminals are downtown, on the waterfront.  The area is very pedestrian friendly.  As someone else mentioned, you can walk across the  street to the pier from the Wyndam, check your bags at the terminal, and go exploring before you board. Or, board the ship, get a bite to eat, then go ashore and go walk around. It's that easy and convenient.

By the way, once the ship sails, it takes about an hour to clear the harbor. Stand on the port side and you'll see the aircraft carriers (if in port) lit up with white lights, at dusk.  Then you'll pass by Naval Base North Island (jets and helicopters).  On the starboard side, you'll see planes landing and taking off from San Diego's Lindbergh Field, then the San Diego Yacht Club (3x America's Cup winner), and the submarine base. Once you get to Cabrillo National Monument and the lighthouse, you're about to be in open water.  Have a great cruise !

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Good thread.  We are traveling out of SD in March 2020 and looking forward to it!

When in March '20 are you sailing? We're sailing to Mexico departing SD on 3/14.

We're also really looking forward to it! 🙂

The Wyndam would prefer that you take their shuttle across the street for safety reasons.

As far as "strict" check-in times.....not enforced at all yet.   It might happen in the future.

Boarding times are assigned at the pier.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

The Wyndam would prefer that you take their shuttle across the street for safety reasons.

As far as "strict" check-in times.....not enforced at all yet.   It might happen in the future.

Boarding times are assigned at the pier.

David

Seriously?  Perhaps if you have a lot of luggage. We’ve stayed at the Wyndham for years and it’s an easy walk right across the street.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

I see it every cruise. 

Perhaps they consider it a liability....or maybe a potential tip for the shuttle driver?

Who knows.

David

It’s  funny because for years we didn’t even know they had a shuttle until one day there was a huge rainstorm/wind that lasted for hours.  When we went to the lobby to “wait it out” discovered in fact they did have a shuttle to just go across the street.  

Living in San Diego, we don't stay at the Wyndham but usually park there. Wasn't aware that they 'preferred' we use their shuttle, and have never used or needed it.

It's such an easy  walk across the street from the hotel to the terminal. 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Seriously?  Perhaps if you have a lot of luggage. We’ve stayed at the Wyndham for years and it’s an easy walk right across the street.  

I agree! We live here and always come down the night before on our coaster and stay at Wyndham. It used to be Holiday Inn

before. That is one nice advantage staying there because the intersection traffic lights

are right there and your at the terminal.

I have seen a small van shuttle from hotel.

Either way a good hotel location for the cruise!! Since 2016 on our HAL cruises when they started the boarding times check in at terminals we have always gone around 10:30 and was on board by 11:30.

So far no restrictions.

Happy Cruising

Denise😊

• Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 6:52 PM, Boatdrill said:

As someone else mentioned, you can walk across the  street to the pier from the Wyndam, check your bags at the terminal, and go exploring before you board. Or, board the ship, get a bite to eat, then go ashore and go walk around. It's that easy and convenient.

Oh good, I am glad to hear you can board and then get off again before sailing. I live downtown, so it should only be a 5 minute uber to the pier but in case I forget something it won't be too late!

30 days to go!

• Like 1