Free or Discounted Select Dining on Iona to begin with?

manonabike

I've heard on social media (from someone on board Arcadia) that they are planning on having discounted or even free select dining when Iona launches to try and stimulate some interest. Can anyone support this? Did this happen when Britania was launched? It sounds interesting however one of the nice things about the special dining venues was that is was much quieter.

They often discount for the first and possibly second night if advance bookings are a bit scarce. I don’t see why Iona should be any different and in all honesty, I don’t think they will need to discount. Free is almost certainly a non-starter. This didn’t feature on the Britannia maiden unless they kept it very quiet. 
To be a bit controversial, as select bookings do not give a choice of dining as they do on other ships (Iona is all freedom dining), offering those who book select a discounted meal in a speciality restaurant may be justified. Not really practical though.

1 hour ago, manonabike said:

I've heard on social media (from someone on board Arcadia) that they are planning on having discounted or even free select dining when Iona launches to try and stimulate some interest. Can anyone support this? Did this happen when Britania was launched? It sounds interesting however one of the nice things about the special dining venues was that is was much quieter.

Because Iona’s summer cruises are only 7 nights I cannot see any discounting as the “other” restaurants on short cruises fill up fairly quickly. We have just come off Ventura 2 x 7 night cruises and Sindhu looked very full most nights. With all freedom I suspect people will be more willing to try the other venues. However I would expect some discounting on the longer winter cruises.

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Because Iona’s summer cruises are only 7 nights I cannot see any discounting as the “other” restaurants on short cruises fill up fairly quickly. We have just come off Ventura 2 x 7 night cruises and Sindhu looked very full most nights. With all freedom I suspect people will be more willing to try the other venues. However I would expect some discounting on the longer winter cruises.

On our August Ventura 7 night cruise they offered a free bottle of wine first night in Epicurean if you dined before 6.30pm.

Sindu and Epicurean were fairly quiet all week but they would not entertain any discounts.

We enjoyed our meals in Epicurean.

Graham.

IMG_20190829_185420.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

On our August Ventura 7 night cruise they offered a free bottle of wine first night in Epicurean if you dined before 6.30pm.

Sindu and Epicurean were fairly quiet all week but they would not entertain any discounts.

We enjoyed our meals in Epicurean.

Graham.

IMG_20190829_185420.jpg

Graham, is that pink bread?

In the post I read about this, it did say that initially some of the select ventures would be free or heavily discounted in order to relieve pressure on the main freedom dining restaurants ( no club dining of course). This seems to make sense to me as there are so many alternative dining venues on Iona. I guess they would then gradually increase the prices.

1 hour ago, Spike11 said:

In the post I read about this, it did say that initially some of the select ventures would be free or heavily discounted in order to relieve pressure on the main freedom dining restaurants ( no club dining of course). This seems to make sense to me as there are so many alternative dining venues on Iona. I guess they would then gradually increase the prices.

Some of the alternative dining venues are free anyway. 

34 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

On a related note, I assume that although we will pay an additional cover charge to use, for example, Epicurean, if we have a drinks package the drinks would be included. So just the cover charge to pay?

Drinks would be included in the package but wine by the glass only - not bottles.