Disposable water bottles being replaced?

marylovestotravel

Are disposable plastic water bottles being replaced yet? Has anyone seen the reusable replacements? It seems that the announcement of the change happened awhile ago but I haven't seen any comments from people using them. We are looking forward to using them. Otherwise, will bring our own. We try to reduce our use of plastic but it's amazing how much still slips in!

Mia

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Insignia is all heavy glass Vero Water wide mouth water bottles.  We always had at least two or three full in our cabin.  They are cleaned and refilled onboard.  They have plastic at the gangway when you go ashore.  I also discovered a small nondescript metal ice chest on the walking deck that was full of plastic bottles in ice.  I happened to see a deck attendant get a couple out and then looked inside and saw it was full of very cold plastic water bottles.  I kept that a secret while onboard.   

• Thanks 1

We were recently on the Marina.  The Vero bottles were on the tray with glasses. Ours were almost never refilled unless i specifically called housekeeping and asked someone to refill  it. Was odd because the room had been cleaned and made up.  When you leave the ship there are plenty of the regular water bottles to grab for the day.

One note about the Vero bottles in your room.   For me the bottles required two hands to grasp and pour.  I didn’t particularly like them  although I understand the need to cut down on plastic.  I was happy to have plastic bottles available when leaving the ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roccaforte said:

One note about the Vero bottles in your room.   For me the bottles required two hands to grasp and pour.  I didn’t particularly like them  although I understand the need to cut down on plastic.  I was happy to have plastic bottles available when leaving the ship.

I don't have strong hands but had no problem using one hand. We filled our reusable bottles from them and our cabin steward left us two.

5 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

We were recently on the Marina.  The Vero bottles were on the tray with glasses. Ours were almost never refilled unless i specifically called housekeeping and asked someone to refill  it. Was odd because the room had been cleaned and made up.  When you leave the ship there are plenty of the regular water bottles to grab for the day.

Your room attendant didn't do a very good job. 

I took my own bottle on our last cruise and refilled it each day.  Unfortunately I inadvertently left my bottle on the ship when we disembarked.   I used that bottle when playing tennis so I am a bit cross and will be reluctant to take one with me next time in case I forget it again.     I do think we should stop single use plastic bottles.  So how to resolve this dilemma???

I think the Vero bottles are too heavy but they were refilled each day without our having to ask.  

Edited by Jay23
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

Your room attendant didn't do a very good job. 

Definitely  not good. Our fridge was basically empty also. The few cans we drank were not replenished. And they weren't even ones we liked..  This was our 3rd Oceania cruise. Hopefully the care on  the next one will be better.

1 hour ago, Jay23 said:

I took my own bottle on our last cruise and refilled it each day.  Unfortunately I inadvertently left my bottle on the ship when we disembarked.   I used that bottle when playing tennis so I am a bit cross and will be reluctant to take one with me next time in case I forget it again.     I do think we should stop single use plastic bottles.  So how to resolve this dilemma???

I think the Vero bottles are too heavy but they were refilled each day without our having to ask.  

Providing plastic bottles  when you go ashore is defeating the whole idea.   Its ashore where the real trash stacks up.   I  bring my own canteen or camelback water pack and fill it from the room bottles...   People are up in arms about sea pollution... But having lived in Hawaii many years, the real problem is the discarded bottles. ashore. and yes many wash into the sea and rivers/lakes.

Just say NO  to the plastic disposable.... it is not that hard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

If this happens on our Sirena cruise I will politely ask the room attendant to refill when they clean the room.

If that doesn't happen then I will bring it to the attention of their boss (head of housekeeping?).

6 hours ago, Roccaforte said:

I find that my hands are not as strong as they use to be...😳😳 But I find if I use a thick rubber band, that it helps with lids and caps. I hate admitting that I need help and prefer to be as independent as possible. But sometimes, you just need to ask for help...

Mia

3 hours ago, Jay23 said:

I hate losing things when I travel! Especially favourite items that I have used many times. Unfortunately the only solution is not to bring them or bring a substitute.

I agree. The problems with world plastic trash is horrible and we all contribute to this. I try to reduce my use of plastics (bags, etc.), but we all sin even with the best intentions.

Mia

11 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Definitely  not good. Our fridge was basically empty also. The few cans we drank were not replenished. And they weren't even ones we liked..  This was our 3rd Oceania cruise. Hopefully the care on  the next one will be better.

We don't drink pop much, but in the past our room attendant has refilled what has been used. I remember asking him for some tonic water for our gin and he kept it replenished and added some lime/lemon as well.

Sometimes a tactful hint or request can work wonders.

Mia 

On 11/9/2019 at 9:05 AM, marylovestotravel said:

Are disposable plastic water bottles being replaced yet? Has anyone seen the reusable replacements? It seems that the announcement of the change happened awhile ago but I haven't seen any comments from people using them. We are looking forward to using them. Otherwise, will bring our own. We try to reduce our use of plastic but it's amazing how much still slips in!

Mia

Pictures of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch prompted us to start bringing our own water bottles like you anytime we leave the house. Especially for cruises. It's a small thing but makes me feel better about doing a good thing. 🙂

For anyone else looking for a great cruising water tote- this one is aluminum, 24 ounces, wide mouth and even has a handle- much easier to hold onto whenever, wherever. There's a 16 ounce size and larger ones too. Easy to pack because I stuff socks, underwear and odds and ends inside, or take with me on the plane. Amazon.

Happy cruising.

IMG_6085.JPG

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Pictures of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch prompted us to start bringing our own water bottles like you anytime we leave the house. Especially for cruises. It's a small thing but makes me feel better about doing a good thing. 🙂

For anyone else looking for a great cruising water tote- this one is aluminum, 24 ounces, wide mouth and even has a handle- much easier to hold onto whenever, wherever. There's a 16 ounce size and larger ones too. Easy to pack because I stuff socks, underwear and odds and ends inside, or take with me on the plane. Amazon.

Happy cruising.

It's a great idea I like the looks of it - very usable and durable. I like the larger loop that you can hold onto it with, especially as I am a little clumsy these days.

Mia

3 minutes ago, marylovestotravel said:

It's a great idea I like the looks of it - very usable and durable. I like the larger loop that you can hold onto it with, especially as I am a little clumsy these days.

Mia

Here are the ones we have from Costco.

Image result for contigo water bottle costco

1 hour ago, marylovestotravel said:

Mia

Yeah, and the little holder thingie on it is flexible so you can stride along and let your arms swing away. The wide mouth makes it easy to clean, and it's just the right size. Husband has blue and I have pink. 🙂

Best wishes to you Mia!!

Nancy

40 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Yeah, and the little holder thingie on it is flexible so you can stride along and let your arms swing away. The wide mouth makes it easy to clean, and it's just the right size. Husband has blue and I have pink. 🙂

Best wishes to you Mia!!

Nancy

You make me laugh! After all these years of not doing blue for boys and pink for girls as too gender defining for my kids, I'm now constantly doing blue for my husband and pink for myself! (think toothbrushes!!!)🤪🤪

Mia

20 hours ago, clo said:

Stop losing your bottle?

Quite right Clo     My bottle was on the tray with all the other water items and during packing up to leave, it got left behind.  It wasn't the end of the world but annoying.   I now have a metal bottle which has a striking design on it, maybe it won't be so easy to forget it.   Lets hope so.  J

10 hours ago, marylovestotravel said:

You make me laugh! After all these years of not doing blue for boys and pink for girls as too gender defining for my kids, I'm now constantly doing blue for my husband and pink for myself! (think toothbrushes!!!)🤪🤪

Me too. Life changes our ways. I do pink and blue now with phone cases and packing cubes. 😁

Nancy

Edited by Petoonya

3 hours ago, Jay23 said:

Quite right Clo     My bottle was on the tray with all the other water items and during packing up to leave, it got left behind.  It wasn't the end of the world but annoying.   I now have a metal bottle which has a striking design on it, maybe it won't be so easy to forget it.   Lets hope so.  J

I have such a dry mouth it's highly unlikely that I'd forget my so/but  I feel your pain.

On 1/10/2020 at 5:41 AM, Roccaforte said:

I too had to use two hands to pour the water..have suggested different shape..

Jancruz1