Gratuities envelopes - first first time cruisers

Good morning. We’re going on the UAE cruise over Christmas on Jewel of the Seas and have been advised that we can pay our gratuities/tips at the end of the cruise in envelopes left in our cabin. We apparently have to tell the concierge when we board that that’s what we intend to do. Is this correct?  Apologies if this has already been covered and I’ve missed it. 

26 minutes ago, Familyofjust3 said:

Good morning. We’re going on the UAE cruise over Christmas on Jewel of the Seas and have been advised that we can pay our gratuities/tips at the end of the cruise in envelopes left in our cabin. We apparently have to tell the concierge when we board that that’s what we intend to do. Is this correct?  Apologies if this has already been covered and I’ve missed it. 

You have 3 options.

1-Pre-pay gratuities.

2-Auto-pay gratuities daily on sea pass card.

3-Stop autogratuities at Guest Services on board and tip individuals at your discretion.

Your passport is kept at check-in  at Dubai and returned near the end of your cruise.

This is normal in UAE.

If you take medication make sure it is legal in UAE.

Co-Codomol is 1 medication which is not allowed and possession can get you jailed.

We have done this itinerary 3 times and loved it.

If you can try and have a couple of nights in Dubai pre-cruise.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

If you do nothing and have not pre paid before you board the gratuities will be taken from your onboard account automatically each day. If for some reason you do not want this to happen you have to go to guest services to get it stopped.Just so you know if you give out envelopes with cash at the end of the cruise you will be missing some of the behind the scenes staff who would normally be included in the tip pool.

If you leave the automatic tips in place you can still give extra tips in the envelopes to anyone you feel has gone above and beyond.

Have a great cruise.

1 hour ago, Familyofjust3 said:

I have done this cruise many times - it is great - and what a way to avoid M&S food hall!

Personally I find it much easier to prepay the tips and then forget about it. as @kernow has said, if you pay cash at the end you may miss some people out who have served you earlier in the week, and you also penalise those behind the scenes who you never see but who are a very important cog in the wheel of making the service spectacular on board.

• Like 1

We decided on our recent cruise to reduce to daily amount as we felt that for a near 2 week cruise it was too much,we thought we had done that with a quick trip to CS but when we got home & checked the bill it had been removed completely,bit sad about that as it wasn't what we intended.

4 hours ago, Familyofjust3 said:

Just go down to guest services and they will remove your gratuities and give you envelopes.  Royal makes it very easy to tpi this way.  Royal will still be leaving you additional envelopes  in your cabin as  well for those who wish to tip even more,

3 hours ago, Familyofjust3 said:

Thank you for the advice, it’s much appreciated. I take co-codamol for back problems so would have definitely taken that with us! 

You are welcome.

They are very strict regarding medication and immediate prison sentence with Co-Codomol or codeine.

Do not kiss or drink in public areas either.

The shopping malls are fantastic in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

fortunately crime is near non existent and you will have a great time.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The shopping malls are fantastic in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

fortunately crime is near non existent and you will have a great time.

Graham.

Don't know if I would agree with that,I felt like I had been robbed when I was charged £11 for a pint of lager in a bar in Abu Dhabi airport last month!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, snaefell said:

We decided on our recent cruise to reduce to daily amount as we felt that for a near 2 week cruise it was too much,we thought we had done that with a quick trip to CS but when we got home & checked the bill it had been removed completely,bit sad about that as it wasn't what we intended.

Unfortunately, reducing the amount of the daily auto gratuities is not an option. All you can do is remove them. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, snaefell said:

So because you chose to book a longer cruise, you thought that the staff didn't work as hard? Didn't deserve their full expected gratuity? Wow. Just wow. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blackshirt said:

Unfortunately, reducing the amount of the daily auto gratuities is not an option. All you can do is remove them. 

Sadly that is not what we were told at the Customer Services desk,we were assured that reducing the amount was no problem.

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

Just love it when people twist your words!

You clearly stated that you reduced your gratuity because you thought it was too much for an almost two week cruise. 

How is this not the same as saying the crew didn't deserve their full gratuity? 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Familyofjust3 said:

Problem with envelopes is how to tip the 20 or 30 who help you everyday.  You will have waiters morning noon and night.  At Dining rooms, buffets, food service on the promenade.  Just leave your auto tips in place and everyone is taken care of. I doubt only a handful of people use envelopes anymore, I have not seen one in years. 

• Like 1

It is a cultural thing-  it is not socially acceptable to kiss in public. As a predominantly Muslim country, many do not drink alcohol.  They have alcohol for the tourists so you will mostly find bars and alcohol in hotels. We are on a similar trip in March.

3 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

Just wondering since I enjoy tipping, does anyone who reduces or removes their daily gratuities make it a point to reduce their use of the services those people provide?

Yes, definitely.

We adjust our gratuity proportionally to the services used (down and up).