Fort Lauderdale to Phoenix after Regal Cruise

caltroon

We have a full size suite, with platinum status, will each have one suitcase and one carryon.  Will be keeping them with us the last night and doing a walk-off.  We have a 10:00 flight scheduled out of Ft. Lauderdale.  We have TSA-Pre.  I'll have our boarding passes on our phones.  Since we should be there about 1-1/2 hours before the flight (8:30) will we have enough time getting off the ship and going through customs and all to take this flight.  It's a Southwest flight on miles so we can easily change it to later if we need to do that.  Thank you.

Personally, I don't see a problem as you sound like a confident traveler that knows the scoop and steps.  You could also be at FLL before 8:30am if you so choose.  Walk-offs will begin as early as shortly after 6:00am (the Royal Class ships have 6am arrivals generally while the smaller ships have 7am posted).  Ships arrive and are docked in PE well before the posted time, generally, so disembarkation is ready to go much sooner than a port during the cruise.

BTW, it matters not that you are in a Suite nor have status.  You can get early walk-off if you need it.  You can also walk-off later.  If walking off, you can pretty much go whenever you like or need to.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response - I was trying to give as much information as possible.  But you can't get off until they let you off and even if they arrive at 6am there's still a waiting period to get off.  I'm just wondering if anyone has taken a flight to Phoenix after this cruise and if so, what time they were able to get off the ship.

We’ve done it.  Walked off as soon as we could, got a taxi by the curb and made it with plenty of time to spare.  We didn’t have TSA Precheck at the time and had no problems.  We were off the ship by 7:30 and at the airport by 8.  The only problem was in our hurry to leave we left a piece of luggage in our cabin.  Getting it back is another story.

• Like 1

If you have Global Entry, bring your physical cards with you. There is a Global Entry line at the port of Fort Lauderdale and that will save you a bunch of time at immigration. Unlike at an airport, to utilize Global Entry at a sea port, or land crossing, you need to show the physical card to the CBP agent. 

• Like 2

We did the transatlantic on the Crown arriving back on Oct 8...there was a Coast Guard inspection going on, it was raining, the lines backed up inside before customs (even with global entry), and outside trying to get transportation to the airport-then there was construction on the freeway to the airport...long frustrating mess with several couples in our group missing their 11:30 flight.  Having been through that scenario in Ft Lauderdale once before, I booked the 2 pm flight and we were back home in PHX in time to see our gorgeous sunset!  Good luck if you choose to take an early flight!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trvlwrld said:

We did the transatlantic on the Crown arriving back on Oct 8...there was a Coast Guard inspection going on, it was raining, the lines backed up inside before customs (even with global entry), and outside trying to get transportation to the airport-then there was construction on the freeway to the airport...long frustrating mess with several couples in our group missing their 11:30 flight.  Having been through that scenario in Ft Lauderdale once before, I booked the 2 pm flight and we were back home in PHX in time to see our gorgeous sunset!  Good luck if you choose to take an early flight!

Sounds like a multitude of issues complicated your situation. Did you also do early walk off with your own luggage?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caltroon said:

We have a full size suite, with platinum status, will each have one suitcase and one carryon.  Will be keeping them with us the last night and doing a walk-off.  We have a 10:00 flight scheduled out of Ft. Lauderdale.  We have TSA-Pre.  I'll have our boarding passes on our phones.  Since we should be there about 1-1/2 hours before the flight (8:30) will we have enough time getting off the ship and going through customs and all to take this flight. 

If the ship arrives on time, you should be able to make your flight.

• Like 1

Disembarked Caribbean Princess in July for flight to Phoenix via Atlanta. 

We used Easy Check for  hold luggage, and wheeled the rollaboards ourselves. We travelled with Delta. Our luggage was first on the carousel in Phoenix.

We were through immigration very swiftly, even though we have UK passports, found a taxi immediately.

If I remember correctly our disembarkation call was before 8 am ( because of the Easy Check, not our status) We were at the gate by 9 am...long wait for flight at 1pm but it worked for us.

If your airline offers Easy Check, I would definitely consider it. Charge is per person and per case, on Delta, you have your boarding passes provided, no need to fuss about overweight cases or additional charge for luggage., ...You will miss out on Platinum/ Elite disembarkation lounge though as you leave early.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

Disembarked Caribbean Princess in July for flight to Phoenix via Atlanta. 

We used Easy Check for  hold luggage, and wheeled the rollaboards ourselves. We travelled with Delta. Our luggage was first on the carousel in Phoenix.

We were through immigration very swiftly, even though we have UK passports, found a taxi immediately.

If I remember correctly our disembarkation call was before 8 am ( because of the Easy Check, not our status) We were at the gate by 9 am...long wait for flight at 1pm but it worked for us.

If your airline offers Easy Check, I would definitely consider it. Charge is per person and per case, on Delta, you have your boarding passes provided, no need to fuss about overweight cases or additional charge for luggage., ...You will miss out on Platinum/ Elite disembarkation lounge though as you leave early.

The OP’s flight (10:00am) is too early for EZ Check.

• Like 1

We walked off early with our own bags- no problems there...

we also have TSA pre check and there was also absolutely no wait...

we’ve traveled enough to know that you plan for the best scenario and be ready to adjust.  Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caltroon said:

We have a full size suite, with platinum status, will each have one suitcase and one carryon.  Will be keeping them with us the last night and doing a walk-off.  We have a 10:00 flight scheduled out of Ft. Lauderdale.  We have TSA-Pre.  I'll have our boarding passes on our phones.  Since we should be there about 1-1/2 hours before the flight (8:30) will we have enough time getting off the ship and going through customs and all to take this flight.  It's a Southwest flight on miles so we can easily change it to later if we need to do that.  Thank you.

1.5 hours is plenty of time.

11 hours ago, polmcs said:

If you have Global Entry, bring your physical cards with you. There is a Global Entry line at the port of Fort Lauderdale and that will save you a bunch of time at immigration. Unlike at an airport, to utilize Global Entry at a sea port, or land crossing, you need to show the physical card to the CBP agent. 

We only have TSA but that still should help.  Thank you.

We had an 11::00 am. flight.  We walked off the ship with our luggage, took a taxi and arrived at the airport by 8:00 am., had breakfast and then flew home.

We were lucky that they allowed us to leave the ship by 7:15, we had no long wait for customs, and we had no trouble getting a cab.

One things goes wrong and you may have problems.  I was personally nervous until we got to the airport.  I will not book early again.  I would rather have to wait and take an afternoon flight.

• Like 1

We have a 10AM non-stop flight booked on Southwest as well after departing the Regal in January.  I too am a little nervous about it, but Princess is offering a 10AM flight on EZAir so I figure they expect people to make it on time or they wouldn't make it an option.

We always do express walk-off and have never had a problem getting off first thing.  I am just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best 🙂

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We have a 10AM non-stop flight booked on Southwest as well after departing the Regal in January.  I too am a little nervous about it, but Princess is offering a 10AM flight on EZAir so I figure they expect people to make it on time or they wouldn't make it an option.

We always do express walk-off and have never had a problem getting off first thing.  I am just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best 🙂

Assuming there  is no ship issue returning on time, a 10am flight is easy.  Most of the flights I try to book are between 9-10:30.

• Like 1

Last February we disembarked from the Regal on a Sunday, had an 11:00 SW flight. We did early walk off, got through immigration quickly and cabbed it to the airport, arriving between 8:30/9:00. The Souhwest check-in area was a zoo, with a ridiculously long line to go through TSA - although the Pre-check line (which we weren't in) was much shorter. We did get through in enough time to make our flight but it was more stressful than I care for! YMMV...

39 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Last February we disembarked from the Regal on a Sunday, had an 11:00 SW flight. We did early walk off, got through immigration quickly and cabbed it to the airport, arriving between 8:30/9:00. The Souhwest check-in area was a zoo, with a ridiculously long line to go through TSA - although the Pre-check line (which we weren't in) was much shorter. We did get through in enough time to make our flight but it was more stressful than I care for! YMMV...

We have friends who live in Fort Lauderdale who plan flights factoring in how many ships are in Port Everglades disgorging pax.  These friends are not cruisers, just experienced air travelers.  They said the problem is not getting to the airport, it is the lengthy lines to drop luggage and get through security.  They think the airport calms down by the afternoon.  See if you can check how many ships will also be in PE the same time as you.  Hope this helps.  :classic_smile: 

• Like 2