Booking HAL v. dot.com

Arrowinc

I have what will probably be viewed as a terribly naive or asked-and-answered question, and will ask for your patience in advance.

We have booked hotels, cars, and flights through such sites as Travelocity, and have also booked travel directly with the hotel, airline, or car rental company -- more or less seamlessly.  We are 3-star mariners with HAL, and love the line.  We booked our first cruise online directly with HAL, and were assigned a HAL TA  for all of the others.  Those agents have all been outstanding in terms of knowledge and responsiveness.

I recently noted an advertisement for cruise bookings through ***.com (I understand that we are not supposed to use the actual name, but am glad to do so if not forbidden).  Upon pricing that cruise, I contacted our HAL agent, made her aware of the ***.com price, and asked to what extent HAL itself could match it.  The price quoted by HAL exceeded the ***.com price by a measurable margin -- not a huge amount, but certainly enough to turn my head.

So, I am interested in your experience and wisdom as to what is risked by booking through an entity other than HAL?  Will our "veranda" room be located next to the engine room?  Will we arrive at the pier only to be told that we have no booking at all?  Stated otherwise, it is worth the extra money to book directly with a HAL agent?  

5 minutes ago, Arrowinc said:

I have what will probably be viewed as a terribly naive or asked-and-answered question, and will ask for your patience in advance....

Stated otherwise, it is worth the extra money to book directly with a HAL agent?  

From our perspective, no. We used a HAL PCC many years ago. Rates offered we never as competitive as a TA, and extras were unheard of. Our TA gets us a better rate, OBC and extras.

Never arrived at the dock and did not have a reservation. Cabin on our reservation was the one we got.

Other's may have a different opinion. 

Dan

As in most things in life, some TAs are very good and even offer a better deal than HAL.  Other TAs are not so good and do not give you a better price nor service.  You just have to ask around and check them out for yourself.

One thing - be sure the prices you are seeing compare exactly to the HAL website price - do both include taxes and port fees?,  what "perks" are both offering?, AND are both fares fully refundable (flexible)?  Its too easy to compare two different deals, so be VERY careful.

• Thanks 1

We have booked six voyages through the biggest big-box TA, and have received about 7% of the fare as OBC (and this is real money than can be refunded to you if not used on board), along with another 5% for using their credit card (which includes 2% if you're an executive member). These amounts come as "checks" that have to be used in their warehouses, but they will happily give you cash back if you don't spend it all, or even cut you a real bank check if the amounts too big. Either way, it's real money.

Their online prices are identical to HAL, and show you how much OBC you'll get during stateroom selection. One big advantage: their prices always include all the port fees and taxes all the way through the process, unlike HAL, which adds them at the end (sticker shock!).

In my experience, their customer service is unfailingly friendly, courteous, and patient. Good luck! 

Edited by kwb101
  • Like 2

Just be aware their credit card does NOT have protection if a tour operator goes out of business. 

My PCC just got us each a $100 beverage credit when the fare went down on a "locked in" booking. I had forgotten that my last re-faring was conditioned that way, and she could just have told us that, but she took it up the ranks and came back with that offer.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

The big box store has a lot of clout and has stood us in good stead when prices dropped substantially right after final payment and for other issues.  We got way more than a beverage card😉

We've had the same, more than once. In one instance, we got a category upgrade, better location (to center of ship), and $500 OBC. For our next trip, we were upgraded four categories after final payment (cat HH to F, a $4000+ price difference). Not sure his this happened, but happy it did

• Like 1

Miss G, it’s easy to get the same deal at the big box.  You just book it at HAL and then let the TA take it over, Same price as HAL but now with OBC!   And 2% back for the executive members. My membership has been more than covered by the rebate for years.

Edited by bennybear
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Miss G, it’s easy to get the same deal at the big box.  You just book it at HAL and then let the TA take it over, Same price as HAL but now with OBC!   And 2% back for the executive members. My membership has been more than covered by the rebate for years.

Thanks bennybear.  For clarification so I understand correctly, if I have paid $12k for the cruise and the perqs include OBC, HSC, premium internet, dine-around package, and Canaletto and then transfer that booking to the big box, they will let me keep all that plus give me additional OBC?

Absolutely, Miss G. At least it's always worked that way for me. Whatever is on my HAL reservation moves with the booking to the Big Box. The additional OBC (usually about 8%) shows up on your shipboard account and is refundable OBC. The credit card bonus (I get one for the credit card and one for Executive membership which total about 5%) show up around the end of the year. I go to the store and get a check which I deposit at my bank. The only drawback is that the Big Box store does not usually send on the email upsells.

• Thanks 1

Recent news from big box TA (1.50 hot dog).  My last cruise 9/2019 they offered a Cash Card.  Take Cash Card to the desk and receive cash.  They now offer a Shop Card.  Must use Shop Card in the big box store. for purchases.  Not a problem for me.  FYI

Our TA offers us 10-12% cash discounts.   We’ve used our particular agent since 2012 for eight cruises and have gotten all the support we’ve needed or wanted.  She’s helped not only with the cruises but also with pre and post cruise hotels, transfers, etc.   She has a support team of two or three that collectively provide 24/7 support via for via phone or email. The agency actually has a brick and mortar location so technically, though we only interface via email or phone, they are not totally Internet based.   So far if the cruise line has offered an incentive like an OBC, free or reduced airfare, etc.,  she’s been able to get it for us.   I haven’t asked recently but previous conversations with HAL and other in-house cruise line PCCs have always ended in the PCC saying they can’t match the external TA’s package.   At this point we have no reason to change how we book our cruises.  

1 hour ago, kwb101 said:

The only cash cards I've seen the big-box TA other is fire other cruise lines, not HAL. I've only seen HAL bookings give you OBC.

My TA told me that some cruise lines (like HAL) allow discounts but others won't but will allow 'rebates'.  Evidently the difference is a rebate  requires her to send a check after the cruise is completed while the 'discount' is applied at the time of booking.   The amount of her discount and her rebate is the same.  BTW, she will give the same amount as OBC if you prefer that.

You’re welcome Miss G.   Just a couple of things,  the big box OBC is refundable if there is any left😁. You also need to transfer within 60 days of booking.  But yes booking and perks from HAL are exactly the same,  just a very nice bonus of OBC that varies with how much you pay for the cruise.   And with a more expensive cruise, more OBC.  

• Thanks 1

Finally made 4* after a recent 7 day cruise on NA. Have never booked direct with any cruise line. Generally book 10-11 months before the cruise as am admittedly picky about the cabin. Savings by using one of the big online sellers is approximately 12-15%. I certainly have as much “control “ over the booking as the folks that book direct with HAL. Will never understand why folks book direct. To each his own. 

I just booked through a .com  few days ago. My first time as we have used a local TA or I book direct with HAL. I called HAL to compare pricing & the base was the same just more perks with the.com. Within a few minutes of completing the booking I received an email confirmation from both the .com & HAL. This is a well known .com as we have encountered other cruisers who use this company. 

I have transferred two Royal direct reservations to Big Box and will soon transfer my HAL reservation. On my last Royal cruise I had 100% paid but it was 1 day before final payment was due that stateroom cost dropped about $1,150, Big box called and got the credit as it wasn't final due date. So for them its the 7-8% cash card and then the 3% plus 2% executive member. 

As that card dropped travel insurance in Sept I opened an account  credit card with travel insurance benefits.

My only question is do Flight ease (unpaid) reservations move with the booking?

Thanks

Alan

Pardon my ignorance, but I am a relatively new cruiser having only cruised twice previously. I want to make sure that I'm understanding the Big Box (with the really great pizza and $1.50 hot dog) transfer from HAL.

I booked an Alaskan cruise during HAL's Explore 4 promotion, with a refundable deposit of $50 ($25 deposit per person), with payment not due until March 1st. In addition to the refundable deposit, we received $400 in OBC, dinner in one of the ship's specialty restaurants, and free premium internet package (since we upgraded to a balcony cabin).

My question is this: will the Big Box honor this promotion, and throw in additional perks? I only booked this cruise 3 weeks ago, so I am well within the 60 day period.

Thank you for your help--I've received so much valuable information from this site.

16 minutes ago, Kfrech said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I am a relatively new cruiser having only cruised twice previously. I want to make sure that I'm understanding the Big Box (with the really great pizza and $1.50 hot dog) transfer from HAL.

I booked an Alaskan cruise during HAL's Explore 4 promotion, with a refundable deposit of $50 ($25 deposit per person), with payment not due until March 1st. In addition to the refundable deposit, we received $400 in OBC, dinner in one of the ship's specialty restaurants, and free premium internet package (since we upgraded to a balcony cabin).

My question is this: will the Big Box honor this promotion, and throw in additional perks? I only booked this cruise 3 weeks ago, so I am well within the 60 day period.

Thank you for your help--I've received so much valuable information from this site.

Take a look at the big box travel website and find your cruise.  You should then be able to see the OBC that they are offering for the same cruise.  As long as the transfer is within 60 days of booking, the perks you received from HAL should all carry over to the big box TA with the additional OBC.

Edited by I like vacation
add info