Seaside Yacht Club Stateroom Question

Georgia_Peaches

Hello all,

I have a reservation for late February on Seaside in the Yacht Club.  This will be my first experience with MSC.  I'm approaching final payment so have to make some decisions about keeping the booking or going with NCL...a product I know.

The ship looks lovely and the Deluxe Yacht Club balcony suite looks comparable to the NCL Haven PH suite with a couple exceptions.  One being the location of the television.  On Seaside, it looks like the TV is located on the long wall but it is in front of the sitting area.  On NCL the TV is located on the long wall but in front of the bed.  I prefer the TV in front of the bed arrangement over the sitting area.  Does anyone know if the TV in these rooms is on a swivel allowing it to turn toward the bed?

May seem strange to some, but I am traveling with my DM and she enjoys catching a bit of a movie before closing her eyes to fall asleep.  I want her to be happy.

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hello all,

I have a reservation for late February on Seaside in the Yacht Club.  This will be my first experience with MSC.  I'm approaching final payment so have to make some decisions about keeping the booking or going with NCL...a product I know.

The ship looks lovely and the Deluxe Yacht Club balcony suite looks comparable to the NCL Haven PH suite with a couple exceptions.  One being the location of the television.  On Seaside, it looks like the TV is located on the long wall but it is in front of the sitting area.  On NCL the TV is located on the long wall but in front of the bed.  I prefer the TV in front of the bed arrangement over the sitting area.  Does anyone know if the TV in these rooms is on a swivel allowing it to turn toward the bed?

May seem strange to some, but I am traveling with my DM and she enjoys catching a bit of a movie before closing her eyes to fall asleep.  I want her to be happy.

Thanks in advance!

The TV is in front of the sitting area. It is wall mounted and not swivable (is that a word). I am also a NCL loyalist and have stayed in the Haven three times. I would give the MSC YC a try. After our first cruise in the YC we couldn’t decide which experience we liked the best but after our second we think the Seaside YC is simply better value.

• Like 3

I echo gmbhardy, however if YC pricing follows NCL supply and demand pricing for the experience, I'd say Haven is an overall better product if it were the same price, esp the Haven staterooms (esp the ones on Bliss/Encore/Joy they really did a beautiful job on them, more elegant than previous BA class).  Again, opinion.  I know this was about TV mounting, but wanted to throw that in there.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

I would give the MSC YC a try. After our first cruise in the YC we couldn’t decide which experience we liked the best but after our second we think the Seaside YC is simply better value.

I appreciate your POV.  On the surface, YC looks great!  It's just that there are so many reviews that  seem speak to the contrary.  Most of which I take with a grain of salt.  But there are some things that we (frequent cruisers) come to expect or depend on as constants when we cruise (in this case, watching tv in bed).  Taking a leap into an unknown is sometimes difficult.  Creatures of habit...

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

If your DM needs a screen on that badly before bed, maybe its worth getting a cheapo tablet and downloading a bunch of shows or movies from Netflix/Hulu/etc for her to watch before sailing.  Outside of the ship specific channels, it'll be better than anything that either line will have airing at that time anyway.

My wife and I are booked YC on 2/29 on the Seaside on an interior room.  Our plan is to get so tired every day that we won't even think to turn the TV on at night

4 hours ago, Beardface said:

My wife and I are booked YC on 2/29 on the Seaside on an interior room.  Our plan is to get so tired every day that we won't even think to turn the TV on at night

That's our sail date as well.  Perhaps we will cross paths in the TSL.  DM would be mortified to know that I posted a question on her behalf regarding TV watching...of all things.  Please mums the word...no pun intended. 🤐

7 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I appreciate your POV.  On the surface, YC looks great!  It's just that there are so many reviews that  seem speak to the contrary.  Most of which I take with a grain of salt.  But there are some things that we (frequent cruisers) come to expect or depend on as constants when we cruise (in this case, watching tv in bed).  Taking a leap into an unknown is sometimes difficult.  Creatures of habit...

I may be wrong, but I get the vibe that you are quite loyal to NCL Haven.  One thing I have noticed is that it's not unusual that when people who are loyal to one line try another line, they can't help being overly critical of the new line - noticing every difference, often in a negative light.  It can wind up causing a negative mood that sort of wrecks their vacation. 

I have no idea how strong your emotional ties are to NCL or how you react to "different".  Only you can assess whether you value a known, comfortable, proven experience, over a desire for new and different.  

Edited by mnocket

8 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well that's good to know.  Thank you!

Like many things on a cruise ship, opinions differ greatly about what's good and what isn't. Since I'm a polyglot, I enjoyed the plethora of foreign language channels on the Seaside during our October 2018 sailing (especially the German and Spanish ones). I am different from your DM in that I don't watch much TV while on a cruise ship, but I found the offerings pretty good. Just don't expect 25 channels in English. The international profile of MSC's clientele is very much reflected in the TV offerings. Personally, we loved the Seaside and MSC has now become our favorite cruise line. I hope you and DM have a lovely time. (PS we absolutely looked into NCL for our next trip but MSC proved to be a greater value, for us). Nothing wrong with NCL, good friends of ours here are loyal Norwegian cruisers.

• Like 1

Really curious on how this will match rccl and celebrity suites which we normally book, anybody want large TVs our oasis owners suite had a 50 inch or bigger in both bedroom and living room, but very limited things for free to watch . Sail on seaside in 17 days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

I may be wrong, but I get the vibe that you are quite loyal to NCL Haven.  One thing I have noticed is that it's not unusual that when people who are loyal to one line try another line, they can't help being overly critical of the new line - noticing every difference, often in a negative light.  It can wind up causing a negative mood that sort of wrecks their vacation. 

I have no idea how strong your emotional ties are to NCL or how you react to "different".  Only you can assess whether you value a known, comfortable, proven experience, over a desire for new and different.  

I will definitely go with an open mind.  I do rather like the NCL product but only if I'm in a suite. I have only ever sailed them 1 time in a balcony stateroom and it was a one and done for me until someone suggested I try the Haven before writing them off.  But you are right, I will likely do a lot of comparing because this will be new for us.  Like any cruise though, I can't wait for embarkation day!

On 11/13/2019 at 11:17 AM, George C said:

Really curious on how this will match rccl and celebrity suites which we normally book, anybody want large TVs our oasis owners suite had a 50 inch or bigger in both bedroom and living room, but very limited things for free to watch . Sail on seaside in 17 days. 

Before our first Seaside cruise last year we have only done Royal.  We enjoy MSC for their product of YC.  The only thing Royal has comparable to YC would be Star class on Oasis and Quantum ships.  For the same price I would rather cruise 4 weeks in YC balcony than 1 week in a Grand Loft suite.  The YC balcony is comparable to the size of a JS on Royal without the walk in closet.  However the YC shower is very nice.  Not as nice as the crown loft suite showers on Oasis class though.

You have the right attitude of being open minded and enjoy MSC.  Do not go around comparing it to Royal.  We look forward to boarding Seaside again in June after 2 years of cruising Royal.  

Enjoy your cruise and come back to report on it.

If you see butler Lezle, please tell him we look forward to his great service for 14 nights in June!

• Like 2