What's the deal with Ocean Blue cover charge (or not) on Bliss?

AlexandNessa

Here's my story, if you can follow along with NCL's logic on this. 

Upgraded via myncl to the unlimited wifi with streaming. 

NCL undercharged me for the package by 60$. I didn't notice this until my TA contacted me. It said 294.88$ on myncl. Credit card showed 234.88$. My TA sends me an email 2 days later saying NCL is threatening to cancel my 10K reservation over "a 60$ underpayment on the wifi package." 

Fine, I call NCL and cancel the package completely since they're making me feel half criminal over their IT mistake. I confirm with the rep at that time I have 0$ balance due. She explicitly says yes, I'm good. 

I wait to get my refund to my credit card for the canceled wifi package. I do, but it's only for 186.88$, or 48$ short. 

Fine. Another call to NCL who claimed that the 48$ was for 2 Ocean Blue reservations because I have a dining package for 4 nights, but I had 6 dinner reservations, and that's why they charged me 48$, because they felt I had another outstanding balance when they issued my credit. 

This would equate to a 12$ cover (2 peeps x2 reservations). 

All over myncl, Ocean Blue says a la carte. In fact, every single reservation I made was a la carte. (+2 dinners for Latitudes).  No covers should've applied at all. 

Can someone make sense of this for me? Because now not only do I feel half criminal, I also feel borderline stupid. 

Edited by AlexandNessa

I can only speculate but here's my opinion.  The NCL website is not run by NCL(not sure who).  It doesn't always reflect NCL's policies.  For instance  I am booked on a cruise in February with 5 night specialty dining package.   I was able to book 7 specialty diners but didn't get charged for any of the extra 2.  It appears if I were to call NCL to adjust anything in this package I may get charged for the two extra nights based on your experience.

Edited by davencl
spelling error

In my experience, I never booked the upcharge restaurant in advance because they charged my Visa at the time of booking and I wanted to use my OBC to pay the upcharge or $12.  I called and they said if I make reservations online, you pay the additional $12 upcharge at that time.   (if you were eating at steakhouse, just use a dining credit, no charge to make your reservations.   If you eat at Ocean Blue, $12 additional charge in addition to using your one dining credit so Visa needed.).  Not sure why they didn't charge you the upcharge when you made your original reservations.  Seems maybe they noticed their mistake as they were reviewing your account.  Still, they should of called you before using part of your credit from wifi to pay for your dining reservations.

When we boarded the ship, went straight away and made  our Ocean Blue reservations and paid with our OBC.  

5 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

In my experience, I never booked the upcharge restaurant in advance because they charged my Visa at the time of booking and I wanted to use my OBC to pay the upcharge or $12.  I called and they said if I make reservations online, you pay the additional $12 upcharge at that time.   (if you were eating at steakhouse, just use a dining credit, no charge to make your reservations.   If you eat at Ocean Blue, $12 additional charge in addition to using your one dining credit so Visa needed.).  Not sure why they didn't charge you the upcharge when you made your original reservations.  Seems maybe they noticed their mistake as they were reviewing your account.  Still, they should of called you before using part of your credit from wifi to pay for your dining reservations.

When we boarded the ship, went straight away and made  our Ocean Blue reservations and paid with our OBC.  

I agree with you.. I too will no longer pay restaurant reservations in advance due to a bad experience. Two years ago, I booked Moderno and paid in advance. I had the receipt and the credit card charge to NCL to prove it. NCL made me jump through hoops onboard and it still wasn't fixed. The ship claimed they were never forwarded the payment from NCL (and this was my fault). I wound up contesting the charge on my credit card. Never again. 

Regardless, as Two Wheels stated, they stopped the Ocean Blue upcharge a while ago, and this is what it looks like in myncl. 

Screenshot_20191113-122352_Norwegian.thumb.jpg.b98dee29c151bbd65c1d17ec40ca8628.jpg

6 minutes ago, AlexandNessa said:

I agree with you.. I too will no longer pay restaurant reservations in advance due to a bad experience. Two years ago, I booked Moderno and paid in advance. I had the receipt and the credit card charge to NCL to prove it. NCL made me jump through hoops onboard and it still wasn't fixed. The ship claimed they were never forwarded the payment from NCL (and this was my fault). I wound up contesting the charge on my credit card. Never again. 

Regardless, as Two Wheels stated, they stopped the Ocean Blue upcharge a while ago, and this is what it looks like in myncl. 

Screenshot_20191113-122352_Norwegian.thumb.jpg.b98dee29c151bbd65c1d17ec40ca8628.jpg

Come on NCL, get with the program!  They probably stopped the $12 upcharge because the eliminated lobster there, just like everywhere else on NCL ships.  My husband and just decided Carnival is our cruise line of choice.  We used to like NCL, but with so much of their "nickle and diming", no lobster, change in drink package (no water included in package, which is insane!) we just decided that we are making the switch!   We have three Carnival cruises booked for this upcoming year!

Edited by ksmcdonald
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Seems to me that you are doing a lot of work when you have a TA who is getting paid to do he work. And potentially confusing things in the process. 

I booked these direct. She tried to take care of the wifi issue on my behalf, but after 30 minutes got no where. She also cannot see refunds for things booked direct through my ncl. 

4 hours ago, ksmcdonald said:

Come on NCL, get with the program!  They probably stopped the $12 upcharge because they eliminated lobster there, just like everywhere else on NCL ships.  My husband and just decided Carnival is our cruise line of choice.  We used to like NCL, but with so much of their "nickle and diming", no lobster, change in drink package (no water included in package, which is insane!) we just decided that we are making the switch!   We have three Carnival cruises booked for this upcoming year!

Current Ocean Blue on Bliss 21D LA-NY - Cold Water Lobster 1 1/2 lbs / Steamed or Grilled / Drawn Butter ($25 Dining Package Supplement) $39.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Current Ocean Blue on Bliss 21D LA-NY - Cold Water Lobster 1 1/2 lbs / Steamed or Grilled / Drawn Butter ($25 Dining Package Supplement) $39.

Ouch

If they still charge it on my next cruise I am ging to cancel my reservation and go to the italian restaurant

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 7:20 AM, Kalum said:

Ouch

If they still charge it on my next cruise I am ging to cancel my reservation and go to the italian restaurant

I agree, and I am also debating!!  I also think the surf & turf is a $19 upcharge (pretty sure the surf is shrimp).  I don't know, but I may cnsider halibut, or ciapino to avoid any upcharges.  All of these Free at Sea promotions are getting to be ridiculous!  They are charging extra for just about everything now and no water in the drink packages really ticks me off!!  It's getting so bad that people are going to start smuggling water in their rum runners, LOL!!  (Just a little puns, and no I don't personally use rum runners, btw).

31 minutes ago, bren61 said:

I agree, and I am also debating!!  I also think the surf & turf is a $19 upcharge (pretty sure the surf is shrimp).  I don't know, but I may cnsider halibut, or ciapino to avoid any upcharges.  All of these Free at Sea promotions are getting to be ridiculous!  They are charging extra for just about everything now and no water in the drink packages really ticks me off!!  It's getting so bad that people are going to start smuggling water in their rum runners, LOL!!  (Just a little puns, and no I don't personally use rum runners, btw).

Correction to my previous post.  The surf & turf in Ocean Blue is filet & lobster, the surf & turf in Cagneys is filet & shrimp, both places charge the $19 upcharge , the whole lobster in OB is a $25 upcharge, the upcharges are in addition to what you pay for your dining package!

I was on the Breakaway in August and October. There was no upcharge to dine at Ocean Blue (I booked in advance online). I had the lobster and filet - no upcharge using the SDP. I also had the lobster and filet at Cagney’s- again no upcharge using the SDP.

15 hours ago, bren61 said:

Correction to my previous post.  The surf & turf in Ocean Blue is filet & lobster, the surf & turf in Cagneys is filet & shrimp, both places charge the $19 upcharge , the whole lobster in OB is a $25 upcharge, the upcharges are in addition to what you pay for your dining package!

wait.. what?!

i was on Dawn 2 months ago.

cagneys surf and turf was filet and lobster tail. no upcharge to dining package.

it got changed back to filet and shrimp? and with a $19 upcharge?! 

All of these uncharges violate the dining terms online: 

Specialty Dining PackageFREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

WHERE CAN I PURCHASE A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Online in our "Dining" section at ncl.com/myncl or through Norwegian Reservations at 1-866-234-7350. Once onboard you may also purchase it on the first two days of your cruise by calling or visiting any Restaurant Reservations podium. For three and four-day cruises, this package may only be purchased on the first day of your cruise.

IS THERE A MINIMUM / MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF MEALS I CAN PURCHASE?

A minimum of 3 meals is required and the total amount cannot exceed the length of the cruise.

MY TRAVELING COMPANIONS DON’T WANT A DINING PACKAGE, DO THEY HAVE TO BUY IT?

No, Specialty Dining Packages are purchased individually.

IN WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

Specialty Dining Packages are honored in the following specialty restaurants: American Diner, Cagney’s Steakhouse, Food Republic, Italian, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Margaritaville at Sea, Moderno Churrascaria, Ocean Blue and Bayamo by Ocean Blue, Pincho Tapas Bar, Q Texas Smokehouse, Raw Bar, Sushi and Teppanyaki.

Guests may also choose to dine in other select restaurants, with the following per person upcharges when using their SDP meal:

• Cirque Dreams (Epic, Getaway) - Standard Seating $10 USD - Premium Seating $15 USD
  • Supper Club Cabaret (Escape) - $18 USD
  • Velvet (Breakaway) - $10 USD

HOW CAN I MAKE DINING RESERVATIONS FOR A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Once purchased, you can make reservations online in our “Dining" section at ncl.com/myncl or through Norwegian Reservations at 1-866-234-7350. Once onboard, you can also make reservations by calling or visiting the Restaurant Reservations podium.

For Cirque Dreams / Supper Club reservations please visit our "Entertainment." section online or visit the box office once onboard.

CAN I MAKE A RESERVATION FOR MY WHOLE PARTY EVEN THOUGH SOME ARE NOT PARTICIPATING?

Yes, please follow the above instructions. Note there will be applicable charges for those who have not purchased a Specialty Dining Package

CAN I BUY DINNER FOR SOMEONE ELSE WITH MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Specialty Dining Packages are sold individually and cannot be transferred. If you wish to pay for someone else’s dinner, you will have to pay regular prices.

HOW WILL THE RESTAURANT STAFF KNOW I HAVE A SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE?

Your room keycard will be coded and tagged with a sticker. The restaurant staff will request to see your room keycard for verification prior to service. Please keep it handy.

ARE GRATUITIES INCLUDED IN THE SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE PRICE?

No, a 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be automatically added to the cost of your package.

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

All Specialty Restaurant menu items are included except Seafood Platter in Raw Bar. Additional entrée charges may apply. 

For Food Republic, Pincho, Sushi and Wasabi, an SDP meal includes 4 menu items.

ARE ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES INCLUDED IN SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

Specialty Dining Packages do not include alcohol, but we offer a wide range of beverage packages, including the Premium Beverage Package, Cork & Caps and Viva Vino. For more information about our beverage packages, please check out ncl.com "Onboard Packages" or visit any bar onboard the ship on the first day of your cruise.

Terms & Conditions

Dining Terms and Conditions

Specialty Dining Packages (SDP) are available online for pre-sale or onboard during the first two days of the voyage. SDP is not available on 1 and 2-day sailings; On 3-day sailings SDP is for sale on day 1 only. No refunds available if not all meals are used. SDPs are personal and non-transferable. SDP does not include any beverages and additional main courses will incur charges. An SDP meal in Food Republic, Pincho, Sushi and Wasabi includes 4 menu items. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No SDP kids pricing available. We encourage guests to visit ncl.com/myncl to make dining reservations in advance. Reservations are not required but highly recommended for SDP guests, however, once onboard, reservations will be subject to availability. SDP meals can be enjoyed at American Diner, Cagney’s Steakhouse, Food Republic, Italian, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Margaritaville at Sea, Moderno Churrascaria, Ocean Blue and Bayamo by Ocean Blue, Pincho Tapas Bar, Q Texas Smokehouse, Raw Bar, Sushi and Teppanyaki.

Dining options vary by ship. You may choose to use SDP meals in entertainment-based restaurants for an upcharge. SDP guests will be charged the following upcharges versus the full cover charge/a la carte price: Cirque Dreams (Epic, Getaway) - Standard Seating $10 - Premium Seating $15, Supper Club Cabaret (Escape) - $18, Velvet (Breakaway) - $10. When using the upcharge option, that meal will be deducted from the SDP. There will be a 20% gratuity charge on all SDP entertainment-based restaurants. Venues/Events not included in SDP include: Room Service, Mini Bar, District Brewhouse, The Bake Shop, Coco’s, O’ Sheehan’s Ice Cream Bar, Gelato, Special Occasion/Holiday menus (e.g. New Year’s Eve, Christmas), Jazz Brunch, Wine Lovers and Murder Mystery lunches.

2 hours ago, schildiams said:

All of these uncharges violate the dining terms online: 

I agree, but I don't think that we can do anything about that now that they are switching to mostly A la Carte, maybe just their way of getting around the terms???  Who knows!  I won't be needing to worry about this after my cruise in January as I am headed back to RCCL for many other reasons as well.

I guess the surf & turf in Cagneys  IS... filet & lobster, I can't keep all of the information straight, because it seems to be different on some of the ships.  Here is a new updated Cagney's menu which is to be rolled out fleetwide. I can't believe they are now also upcharging the crab cake & tiger shrimp cocktail also,  RIDICULOUS!!!  Wonder if they are going to upcharge in the Main Dining room for crab cakes also?

New Cagney menu that is being rolled out fleet wide

image.thumb.png.e90abf79ef5d8656056d0b88a30d1bc5.png