Why is the Escape doing the Baltics?

JustAPilot

Why is Norwegian using the Escape for the Baltics? I mean this kind of cruise is port intensive, weather is not really water slide friendly depending on the month you go. And the ports I wouldn’t say are kid friendly with the focus being on culture and history rather then beaches. So I don’t see the rope courses and climbing walls getting much use..

Every 5 years or so, the ship needs to be go into drydock as required by various maritime laws. The only place the ship can go into drydock is in Europe. Therefore, the Escape has do some Europe based sailings.

The Escape was built in 2015 so its due for some drydock work.

In drydock, they will do additional maintenance work they can not do at sea like whole engine overhauls, changing the decor in the public spaces, etc, etc. Drydock usually last about 2 weeks

And escape is big. I think they sell the Baltics good with high prices so it make sense. 2021 is escape doing the Baltic again. Wonder if 2022 the joy s coming to Europe for dry dock?

Edited by Steff79

15 hours ago, JustAPilot said:

Why is Norwegian using the Escape for the Baltics? I mean this kind of cruise is port intensive, weather is not really water slide friendly depending on the month you go. And the ports I wouldn’t say are kid friendly with the focus being on culture and history rather then beaches. So I don’t see the rope courses and climbing walls getting much use..

Since being from Finland - have to comment a bit. Weather in area I would say is water slide friendly from June to August and rope courses and climbing walls also longer if you just wear a bit more. 

And depends naturally what you want to do with your kids but there are free beaches on the cities and quite a lot things you can do with kids as well - if not wanting to go to beach. 

• Like 1

Best beach on a Baltic itinerary is in Warnemunde!  It is a lovely sandy beach.   Also, there is so much to see on any Baltic itinerary to interest children.  In Wismar have a fish sandwich that was purchased off the boat right in the harbor, seek out the piggie bridge, and all sorts of wonderful things.  

Why do you think children need only beaches and Bahamian cruises to be entertained?   Having travelled (primitive camping) in most of the U.S. and been fortunate enough to fly to Great Britian as a child of age 4 and again at 11 (and more since) I had a very rich and rewarding childhood that had some focus on history and culture but there was always other things that you might deem to be more fun that were also encountered at the time. 

On 11/15/2019 at 8:13 PM, JustAPilot said:

. And the ports I wouldn’t say are kid friendly with the focus being on culture and history rather then beaches. So I don’t see the rope courses and climbing walls getting much use..

I appreciate everyone’s response. That’s why I asked the question because I saw it as long excursion days, early in the morning, especially the highlight being St.Petersburg, your exhausted by the time you come back. So I was thinking, Escape is geared towards families with all the activities on-board I wasn’t expecting a lot of kids on this itinerary. We are on this cruise next summer so for me I love the mega ships so I’m happy it’s Escape.  

One advantage to having ships like this on these itineraries are that it means that potentially there is something for everyone if you do have people (not just kids) who may not be as excited about the ports.

I can imagine there being families where some members would like a Baltics cruise, but they know that others won't be as excited about the ports. When the Star was doing the itinerary, for example, then those families may have looked elsewhere, whereas now they can consider that the ship has offers something for those people.

We have a similar situation next year. We have been to the Baltics a few times, including twice with our son. He has enjoyed the ports in the past, but isn't that excited about going back again, whilst my wife and I love the area. If it was a small ship then we probably wouldn't go again with him (at least for a few years), but knowing that we will be on the Escape means that there is something for all of us, and we are going.

I'm looking forward to the ports and also the ropes course (which we will probably use a few times). I will also go on the slides, even if the water is a bit cold.

On 11/15/2019 at 9:30 PM, shof515 said:

Every 5 years or so, the ship needs to be go into drydock as required by various maritime laws. The only place the ship can go into drydock is in Europe. Therefore, the Escape has do some Europe based sailings.

The Escape was built in 2015 so its due for some drydock work.

In drydock, they will do additional maintenance work they can not do at sea like whole engine overhauls, changing the decor in the public spaces, etc, etc. Drydock usually last about 2 weeks

...and they'll expand the Vibe.