To Haven or not to Haven

Sdman36

its my first time on NCL, I been on several Carnival ships, mostly balcony cabins. Its been a good 13 years or so since last cruise. Anyway I am now retired and live in the Philippines, I'm originally from San Diego, CA. I decided to take a cruise within Asia, I found a cruise in Dec 15 on the Jade for 6 days. A big part of my search criteria was to find a suit type cruise with all the bells and whistles, that can be had. I looked for concierge/butler type service, special restaurant or lounge, priority boarding things like that. Drink/dinner packages if included a plus. So yes the Haven fit that, but I also found the Penthouse large balcony suite also fits most of that, and the Jade being a bit smaller, they do not have a special Haven restaurant, and the Haven area does not seem very large. So I book the PHS. and then was sent a upgrade email if I was interested in upgrading to the Haven. The min price bid was almost the same as I could have book it directly. I did get a great price for PHS, the cost of the upgrade seems high especially, as I get many of the same perks as Haven. So my question is for those that have paid for Haven/ vrs PHS on the smaller ships, it is still worth the extra expense, from photos the cabins look very nice, beyond that am I missing anything. Thanks

Just off the Jade last month. Stayed in forward penthouse suite on deck 9. Our decision matrix was similar to yours - the benefits of the Haven didn’t justify the higher cost. The room and bathroom are smaller in the forward penthouse but still very nice. The biggest benefit in our opinion was the amazing large balcony with fabulous views! We sailed the Med & absolutely loved our balcony time.

We have also stayed in the Haven on large ships and agree - the Haven is the way to go with the restaurant & bar & deck space.  But think you are making a wise choice with the forward suite.

Bottom line - either way you can’t go wrong🙂

I spent two weeks in the Gem haven a few months ago (back to back cruises), and had completely different experiences both weeks. The first week the haven was LOADED with kids; it was ridiculous. There were even teens that were bringing people from the teen club in at night to use the pool and deck. They got shut down, but not before name calling and yelling. It was bad. The only escape I got was up on deck 15 which is age restricted. One day I was headed over to the pool area to read, and my room steward actually stopped me and said, "you don't want to go there; too many kids screaming". I vowed then and there never again in the haven. 

The next week was very nice; there were ZERO children/teens in the haven. Made (the haven attendant) was very attentive and the area was so relaxing. Completely different experience! Going forward I would not spend that kind of money on a smaller ship without a haven restaurant and lounge. Poor Made was trying to keep up with orders, but he had to go down several flights to even get us a drink. Service wasn't very good due to this. But, I enjoyed having the sun deck to myself most mornings, and the quiet was just what the doctor ordered!

Only you can decide if the large surcharge is worth it; to me it wasn't. 

We had the deluxe owner's suite on the Jade, and the Haven courtyard and pool was worth it to us. Yes, it's small, but when you're the only 2 people in the pool it doesn't matter. I will gladly take a private small pool over having the share the slightly larger pool with 1,000 other people.

If the cruise is not on any of the new ships, ( ie Breakaway, Escape, Bliss, Encore,  which have the full Haven, ie sundeck, courtyard, private pool/spa, restaurant, lounge, bar) then I find the Haven on the older smaller ships not worth the big jump in price.  On the Jewel class, since you're not dealing with 4K people, a suite is perfect. Breakfast and lunch is private and served in one of the specialty restaurants.  Dinner is in MDR. Suites have Butler service but going forward some will not. Suites still get priority seating at shows and restaurants. In a suite I do miss the private Haven pool so I sign up for a spa pass.  Spent some great moments in Haven lounge & made some great friends but so far haven't found a way to duplicate the haven lounge.

I have not sailed in the Haven on the Jade, but I have sailed in the Haven on its sister ships, the Jewel and the Pearl.  The "tiny pool" is a swim-against-the-current endless-lap exercise pool and it is wonderful.  These are the only places in the entire NCL fleet to get in a real swim.  I also liked having the courtyard butler set up breakfast and lunch in the Haven for us and getting to know the relatively few other passengers in the Haven. 

I have stayed in both the Pearl and Jade in the Haven and would not trade the peace and quiet for anything. Of course you miss the restaurant and bar but still, the service by the pool area is just fine. Breakfast and lunch were served in Cagneys and dinner in the MDR is fine with me.

Thanks for the input from everyone, it seems in my case I made the right call, I actually enjoy the at sea days by the main pool, as there seems there is always something going on. I do want the other perks, and happy to receive those, and I think for the $1000 plus per cabin Min Bid for 6 days, it would be that the extra money is better spent, on other things, and save the Haven for a larger ship someday if I like the NCL experience overall.