Vanilla

MNLIvin

I said last week, no more questions. I guess I lied. A couple years ago we were n a cruise and bought a bottle of vanilla some place. Actually need another but cannot remember where we were. Leaving Nov 30 and Dec 7 on B2B so will be both eastern and western. Does anyone remember where that may have pure vanilla?

Thanks and this time a promise I may not have any more questions.

Get it anywhere there are tourists with money to spend — or near home at Costco or simply order it on line from Amazon - pure vanilla is pure vanilla - but you are more likely to get some questionable stuff at some tourist trap — rather than reliably pur3 stuff at Costco, Sams Club of from Amazon.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gpgal said:

And that can be gotten from Amazon (of course). I assume poster is talking about the whole beans.

Yes, but it is cheaper in Madagascar.  And you can visit the lemur park. 😄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lottacruises said:

I bought some in Cincinnati once, it was really good 

And the vanilla available in Connecticut is pretty good as well.  The fact is, it is a commodity - your local specialty food store (or pretty much ANY store with variety) will carry it - and it is essentially indistinguishable — sort of like brands of refined sugar.

• Like 1

Living in Mexico we have often had friends ask us about getting vanilla beans or vanilla extract.   We have had good Mexican Vanilla, the more common Madagascar stuff and have also purchased beans in Tahiti.  They each are a bit different but all good.  And the thing is you can buy any of the above online or at some decent gourmet stores.  We sometimes see Mexican vanilla here in the USA for less money then the good stuff costs in Mexico.  When you see bargain prices for bottled vanilla extract in Mexico you might not even be getting vanilla (or 100% vanilla) but rather coumarin (which is not even a legal product in the USA).  

If you buy the actual beans you want to know that they are not dried-out.  I have friends that are really into baking and they only buy the best beans and use them to make their own extract (with a Vodka base).

Hank