From Southhampton to Heathrow...

Need suggestions please.  Taking a cruise out of Southhampton, August 2020.  On the day of debarkation, how early / late should I book my return flight if it takes two hours to get to London Heathrow?  Would a 2:25p flight be too early or should I look at later flight times?  Thank you.

3 hours ago, lov2cruise2019 said:

Need suggestions please.  Taking a cruise out of Southhampton, August 2020.  On the day of debarkation, how early / late should I book my return flight if it takes two hours to get to London Heathrow?  Would a 2:25p flight be too early or should I look at later flight times?  Thank you.

Are you arranging for a private transfer?  When we went to Heathrow from Southampton we were picked up from our hotel before 11 and were at Heathrow around 1 pm for a 4 ish fly.  If you are using a cruise line shuttle its difficult to know what their schedule is.

6 hours ago, lov2cruise2019 said:

3 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Are you arranging for a private transfer?  When we went to Heathrow from Southampton we were picked up from our hotel before 11 and were at Heathrow around 1 pm for a 4 ish fly.  If you are using a cruise line shuttle its difficult to know what their schedule is.

I've done this a couple of years ago and from memory of you book the ships transfer they get you off the ship quite early and then the coach actually stopped at motorway services not long after setting off from Southampton. We got to Heathrow in plenty of time ( late morning iirc ) so I would have thought you'd be ok

Bearing in mind also that they tailor the airport shuttles with regards to flight times, you may be able to get off even earlier?

I'm sorry I can't remember what time I chose and what time my flight was, but I normally go for a lunctime/early afternoon flight like you're on!

A 2.25pm flight is ideal - gives you options on your transportation to the airport, and a good window for any delay.

Leaving after 9am sees-off the worst of commuter-time and a private transfer (pre-booked, somewhere short of £100 for the car) will get you there in 90 minutes+, allowing you a leisurely breakfast on-board while the lemmings are rushing for the gangway.

Ship's transfer buses (anywhere between $60 and $100 pp) are good for flight times from 1pm.

Last bus away from the pier around 8.30 to 9.00am

(re ZZ's post they don't usually stop en-route - perhaps ZZ's coach had no bathroom & someone was bustin' or some other small calamity.)

Cheapest will be a scheduled https://book.nationalexpress.com/ coach.

The direct 09.40am coach from Southampton coach station gets you to LHR at noon (or earlier, depending on your airport terminal). Fares from £12 pp, and add a taxi from cruise terminal to Southampton coach station - a maximum of £10 / 10 minutes, depending on your cruise terminal.

Coaches are similar to ships' transfer coaches, and far more comfortable than Greyhound. A limit of 2 x 44lb cases per passenger plus hand-luggage - not strictly enforced unless you have a mountain of luggage. Driver loads & unloads luggage. 

Pre-book for any of the above.

There's no direct train service - travel by train involves a railair shuttlebus for the last part. Total journey time longer than the Nat Express coach, awkward switch to shuttlebus, and total fare about £44 per person.

But a useful Plan B  if your other arrangements go belly-up - frequent service, no need to pre-book.

No worries :classic_cool:

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

6 minutes ago, John Bull said:

A 2.25pm flight is ideal - gives you options on your transportation to the airport, and a good window for any delay.

Leaving after 9am sees-off the worst of commuter-time and a private transfer (pre-booked, somewhere short of £100 for the car) will get you there in 90 minutes+, allowing you a leisurely breakfast on-board while the lemmings are rushing for the gangway.

Ship's transfer buses (anywhere between $60 and $100 pp) are good for flight times from 1pm.

Last bus away from the pier around 8.30 to 9.00am

(re ZZ's post they don't usually stop en-route - perhaps ZZ's coach had no bathroom & someone was bustin' or some other small calamity.)

Cheapest will be a scheduled https://book.nationalexpress.com/ coach.

The direct 09.40am coach from Southampton coach station gets you to LHR at noon (or earlier, depending on your airport terminal). Fares from £12 pp, and add a taxi from cruise terminal to Southampton coach station - a maximum of £10 / 10 minutes, depending on your cruise terminal.

Coaches are similar to ships' transfer coaches, and far more comfortable than Greyhound. A limit of 2 x 44lb cases per passenger plus hand-luggage - not strictly enforced unless you have a mountain of luggage. Driver loads & unloads luggage. 

Pre-book for any of the above.

There's no direct train service - travel by train involves a railair shuttlebus for the last part. Total journey time longer than the Nat Express coach, awkward switch to shuttlebus, and total fare about £44 per person.

But a useful Plan B  if your other arrangements go belly-up - frequent service, no need to pre-book.

No worries :classic_cool:

ps Only one "h" in Southampton - can be important on some websites

6 minutes ago, Schonert said:

Take into account what type of flight you are going on.  International will need to be there much earlier than Domestic 

These days, in the UK at least, I'm not sure that is the case. The time taken to check in your luggage and pass through security is the same regardless of your destination. As long as you get to the airport 2 hours prior to your flight, you will be fine.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

These days, in the UK at least, I'm not sure that is the case. The time taken to check in your luggage and pass through security is the same regardless of your destination. As long as you get to the airport 2 hours prior to your flight, you will be fine.

Agreed.

The airport suggests 3 hours, and IMHO that's over-kill. But, hey, they gotta try to get more business for the airport shops & food outlets to justify the high rents :classic_rolleyes: 

Some airline check-ins (including long-haul) close just 45 minutes before flight time, but anything less than 90 minutes leaves you at the mercy of the length of lines for check-in and security.

So 2 hours is just about right.

10 hours ago, njkruzer said:

I am trying to determine if a private transfer will be idea rather than taking the cruise shuttle.  I may opt to go with a private transfer instead.  

6 hours ago, ZiggaZagga17 said:

I've done this a couple of years ago and from memory of you book the ships transfer they get you off the ship quite early and then the coach actually stopped at motorway services not long after setting off from Southampton. We got to Heathrow in plenty of time ( late morning iirc ) so I would have thought you'd be ok

Bearing in mind also that they tailor the airport shuttles with regards to flight times, you may be able to get off even earlier?

I'm sorry I can't remember what time I chose and what time my flight was, but I normally go for a lunctime/early afternoon flight like you're on!

I too think the 2:25p flight will be plenty of time and if there are any delays, hopefully we will be able to catch the next one.

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

Thanks JB for pointing out my typo on the "Southampton". 😎  I think I have done that a couple of times.   So, I want to make sure I get that right.  Thanks for the info on taxi / coach fares.  I am hoping to book airfare soon and will determine if I will use private or coach to transfer to the airport after the cruise.  I'm hoping airfare will be slightly cheaper during Black Friday.  That's probably wishful thinking.  lol 

17 minutes ago, lov2cruise2019 said:

I am trying to determine if a private transfer will be idea rather than taking the cruise shuttle.  I may opt to go with a private transfer instead.  

Depends on your cruise line's transfer fare - they seem to vary wildly.

I believe Princess' is best value at around $60 per person, quite a few years back RCI were asking $101 per person :classic_ohmy: (that was during the cruise, mebbe their standard rate or mebbe to take advantage of the poor souls who'd not actually organised anything)

A private transfer should be a little short of £100 the car,

All the below are frequently recommended on Cruise Critic

http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

https://westquaycars.com/

http://www.aquacars.co.uk/

Those based at the Southampton end, and 

https://www.blackberrycars.com/ (based at the airport end)

Private transfer of course is more comfortable, more flexible, and a bit quicker.

But time-wise, no problem which way you choose.

Edited by John Bull

I have the reverse problem .... joining one at Southampton.

We live in Northumberland and flights are scarce .... one per day on the day we travel (the day before embarkation). We have the option of a direct train at the cost of one arm and part of a leg... or we take the cruise company's arrangements and fly LHR and they provide a car transfer.

Decisions decisions 😀 

On a separate issue regarding the two hour check ... we have just come home from Athens and they didn’t even open the check in desk until well less than two hours before the flight.

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

Depends on your cruise line's transfer fare - they seem to vary wildly.

I believe Princess' is best value at around $60 per person, quite a few years back RCI were asking $101 per person :classic_ohmy: (that was during the cruise, mebbe their standard rate or mebbe to take advantage of the poor souls who'd not actually organised anything)

A private transfer should be a little short of £100 the car,

All the below are frequently recommended on Cruise Critic

http://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

https://westquaycars.com/

http://www.aquacars.co.uk/

Those based at the Southampton end, and 

https://www.blackberrycars.com/ (based at the airport end)

Private transfer of course is more comfortable, more flexible, and a bit quicker.

But time-wise, no problem which way you choose.

Yes, I was quoted $95 and some change per person a couple of weeks ago by RCCL for transfers from SH to LHR.  I too think that is a bit steep from the cruise line.  Thanks for the car service links.  

9 hours ago, John Bull said:

That's the coach we've booked. With free cancellation, seats chosen and credit card fees -- 57 pounds for two. Flight at 15.15.

Today I've booked with Smiths, private transfer for 2 from Premier Inn Victoria to Southampton at 08.30 - 150 pounds + 11.50 pounds for congestion.

Edited by dani negreanu

We're  doing a Princess transfer that includes Stonehenge, which we really want to see. It says for flight 4 PM or later. (Ours is scheduled at 4:01). 

I would imagine the direct transfers without a touring stop would get there much earlier.

What time does Princess say should be the earliest for catching a flight? Though our first Princess cruise was out of Copenhagen. We had a great flight deal, but it left at 9 AM which Princess and our TA both said was much too early, so we stayed a day in Copenhagen afterwards. But, when we got the form for what color tag you needed to disembark, we saw not only a tag for continental flights at 9 AM, but also one for flights before 9 AM. though I guess there is a big difference in time to the airport versus Southampton to Heathrow.

18 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

That's the coach we've booked. With free cancellation, seats chosen and credit card fees -- 57 pounds for two. Flight at 15.15.

Today I've booked with Smiths, private transfer for 2 from Premier Inn Victoria to Southampton at 08.30 - 150 pounds + 11.50 pounds for congestion.

Given you're across the street from London Victoria Station (the Victoria coach station is a little further), did you consider the train?  The [direct] route from Victoria isn't fast, but probably not significantly different than by car trying to get out of London.

The bonus, is it's cheap cheap cheap if you book in advance.

image.png.6dad6d00bf0bec42439c9ebbe6feea6a.png

55 minutes ago, scottbee said:

did you consider the train?  The [direct] route from Victoria isn't fast

Thank you, yes, I did consider the train. I even considered to book the Premier Inn Waterloo, for the train which is supposed to be "more" direct.

Taking into consideration the time it takes, and then, that we'll have to take a taxi to the pier (the ship is leaving at 4PM in our case), we decided to "splurge" for a "door-to-door" option. I'm willing to pay for comfort.

On the other hand, we'll be using the tube from Heathrow to Victoria Station, since, for a mere 4 days cruise, we're travelling with carry on only.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

We're  doing a Princess transfer that includes Stonehenge, which we really want to see. It says for flight 4 PM or later. (Ours is scheduled at 4:01). 

I would imagine the direct transfers without a touring stop would get there much earlier.

What time does Princess say should be the earliest for catching a flight? Though our first Princess cruise was out of Copenhagen. We had a great flight deal, but it left at 9 AM which Princess and our TA both said was much too early, so we stayed a day in Copenhagen afterwards. But, when we got the form for what color tag you needed to disembark, we saw not only a tag for continental flights at 9 AM, but also one for flights before 9 AM. though I guess there is a big difference in time to the airport versus Southampton to Heathrow.

Well, you flight IS after 4pm. :classic_wink:

OK, only by one minute, but just like other transport professionals they'll be allowing a big margin to cover their *sses

They, and other cruise lines, do the same with their direct airport transfers.

You could really do with Princess telling you what time their coach is due to arrive at LHR, and if possible what time it's scheduled to leave Stonehenge.

For a 4pm flight I'd want to be at LHR by 2pm - a two hour window is comfortable.

A 90 minute window is "adequate", but would make you feel a little nervous - and a scheduled arrival time after 2pm would allow little wiggle-room for a traffic delay between Stonehenge and  LHR.

Is it just Stonehenge, or Salisbury & Stonehenge.

The coach would leave the pier by about 8.30am and if its only Stonehenge it'd arrive about 9.30, mebbe a few minutes later due to the time of day.

90 minutes is about right to spend at Stonehenge, mebbe 2 hours.

So depart Stonehenge 11am to 11.30 (any delay getting to Stonehenge would simply cut the time there in order to keep to schedule) and the drive to LHR is about 1 hr 45.

So that's LHR at about 12.45 to 1.15pm.

Which kinda ties in with an overly-cautious "flights after 4pm"

I don't see a problem, but I guess you'd be more comfortable if you could get those times from Princess.

5 hours ago, John Bull said:

OK, only by one minute, but just like other transport professionals they'll be allowing a big margin to cover their *sses

You could really do with Princess telling you what time their coach is due to arrive at LHR, and if possible what time it's scheduled to leave Stonehenge.

For a 4pm flight I'd want to be at LHR by 2pm - a two hour window is comfortable.

A 90 minute window is "adequate", but would make you feel a little nervous - and a scheduled arrival time after 2pm would allow little wiggle-room for a traffic delay between Stonehenge and  LHR.

The coach would leave the pier by about 8.30am and if its only Stonehenge it'd arrive about 9.30, mebbe a few minutes later due to the time of day.

So depart Stonehenge 11am to 11.30 (any delay getting to Stonehenge would simply cut the time there in order to keep to schedule) and the drive to LHR is about 1 hr 45.

I don't see a problem, but I guess you'd be more comfortable if you could get those times from Princess.

I'd have to look, but I do remember there was something else besides Stonehenge, I think but am not sure it was Salisbury.

I would probably be less comfortable if we had not basically done this before. On a British Isles cruise with Princess from Dover we did an excursion that included Canterbury on the way to Heathrow. Again after 4 and our flight was also IIRC 4:01. We made it in plenty of time, and it was one of our very best excursions ever. I'm sure they are well practiced at their timing on these.

22 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you, yes, I did consider the train. I even considered to book the Premier Inn Waterloo, for the train which is supposed to be "more" direct.

Taking into consideration the time it takes, and then, that we'll have to take a taxi to the pier (the ship is leaving at 4PM in our case), we decided to "splurge" for a "door-to-door" option. I'm willing to pay for comfort.

On the other hand, we'll be using the tube from Heathrow to Victoria Station, since, for a mere 4 days cruise, we're travelling with carry on only.

If you're taking the tube from Heathrow to Victoria, you'll need to change lines at some point.  My recommendation is switch from Piccadilly to District line at Baron's Court, where it'll be on the same platform.

10 minutes ago, scottbee said:

My recommendation is switch from Piccadilly to District line at Baron's Court, where it'll be on the same platform

Thanks, we've done it a couple of months ago (switched at Acton Town), and indeed, was amazingly easy.... Only to arrive, I think, it was 2 stops before Victoria, and being "evacuated" from the train, and switched to another line, since this particular train stopped there.......

Also, at Victoria, we saw a sign announcing that at the WE, when we were supposed to travel back to Heathrow, the District line will be closed, and we have to go through Green Park, which was a nightmare (on a Sunday morning, no less).....

The joys of travel, and I'm not in the least complaining. I absolutely love London.

22 hours ago, John Bull said:

Actually, I just looked, and it is not Salisbury. After Stonehenge it is a ride through Great Windsor Park.

39 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Actually, I just looked, and it is not Salisbury. After Stonehenge it is a ride through Great Windsor Park.

Just an attractive little diversion, quite close to LHR, adds 20 - 30 minutes to the journey time.

Pretty sensible for an airport destination, it acts as a safety net - if the coach has been delayed en-route they can make up 20 - 30 mins by simply skipping that diversion 

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2019 at 11:15 AM, ontheweb said:

I usually like to book my own transfers, bus, train, metro, etc. and I'm considering a transfer from LHR to Southhampton which includes a stop at Stonehenge, it's not cheap 94 pounds, but we've never been to Stonehenge.  But coming back from Southhampton to LHR, we have a 1230 international flight booked through Princess EzAir, so I'm a little leary about taking private transportation to LHR, in case something goes wrong and Princess tries to blame on us, if we miss flight.  So, I'm considering just sticking with the LHR transfer with Princess.