Edge Western - excursion recommends

LSKC

A little background. Beach/water people... love to snorkel/boat/beach/food/etc....I have checked the port of call boards but would like some input from those that may have booked with the Celebrity tours. 

Looking for recommends or specific details/photos even... on any of the below excursions you did.

We are 40...quickly approaching "50-somethings" 🙂

1.Key West I'm pretty sure we will just do our own thing, eat some key lime pie, shop and then back on boat.

2. Costa Maya is the one i'm struggling with the most. I know the beaches are very hit or miss as far as the murkiness and sargassum issues. I'd love to hear suggestions on something water related to do in port with a beach "less" affected or a catamaran excursion that would get us out in the beautiful blue waters. Open to any suggestions...

3. Cozumel - thinking of doing the jeep tour thing with a group - will we get much opportunity to swim/beach? otherwise i saw there is Mr. Sancho's or Nachi Cocum (there are 8 ships set to be in Coz this day)... also saw the Fury catamaran snorkel/beach that looks nice. 

4. Grand Cayman - i think we are almost certain we will do some sort of boat/sting ray excursion - either with Celebrity or book on own (any suggestions?) 

Thanks.

We have two "go to's" on the Western. In Cozumel, we love Nachi Cocum -- more laid back than some of the other AI's. An alternative we tried this past April and really liked was El Cozumelino. Pool better than Nachi, but food not as good. Both are about the same price, $55pp + or - .

In Costa Maya we always go to Maya Chan. Water is hit or miss but the service is spectacular, its laid back and they only have about 50-60 people a day. Transportation is included, its about $59pp. Bar is great, service is wonderful, lunch is excellent. Anyplace that will deliver me a drink by kayak while I'm floating in the water is my go to place. 

I like your plan for Key West. 

In GC, we have used Captain Marvins to go to Stingray City, they also do snorkel/stingray combo tours. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

The Grand Cayman stop is missed frequently due to weather.  Make sure you book something refundable.  Last month our stop was cancelled and we had booked a ships excursion.  The OBC was refunded back to our account.    They were allowing guests a free phone call to cancel privately booked excursions.      We will try again in March!  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LSKC said:

A little background. Beach/water people... love to snorkel/boat/beach/food/etc....I have checked the port of call boards but would like some input from those that may have booked with the Celebrity tours. 

Looking for recommends or specific details/photos even... on any of the below excursions you did.

1.Key West I'm pretty sure we will just do our own thing, eat some key lime pie, shop and then back on boat.

2. Costa Maya is the one i'm struggling with the most. I know the beaches are very hit or miss as far as the murkiness and sargassum issues. I'd love to hear suggestions on something water related to do in port with a beach "less" affected or a catamaran excursion that would get us out in the beautiful blue waters. Open to any suggestions...

3. Cozumel - thinking of doing the jeep tour thing with a group - will we get much opportunity to swim/beach? otherwise i saw there is Mr. Sancho's or Nachi Cocum (there are 8 ships set to be in Coz this day)... also saw the Fury catamaran snorkel/beach that looks nice. 

4. Grand Cayman - i think we are almost certain we will do some sort of boat/sting ray excursion - either with Celebrity or book on own (any suggestions?) 

Thanks.

Check out Nachi Cocum in Costa Maya.  It is a beach club (no hotel), has beautiful beach, sun and plenty of shady spots where my DH can hide his white Irish skin, a restaurant, pool with swim-up bar, changing facilities, restaurant.  It is about a 15 minute cab ride from the pier, includes lunch and drinks, which they will serve you on the beach, by the pool or in the restaurant.  I think the above (except the taxi) is about $55/pp for the day.  We went there a couple of years ago, and will return in March.  Have already reserved online.  Plus, they limit the number of people that they accommodate, so it was not crowded.

• Like 1

Nachi Cocum is in Cozumel, not Costa Maya. At Costa Maya DIY. Go to the port ( just bunch of shops) get outside to the parking lot and walk across to the taxis. Grab one to the beach in the village(Majahual). It's $3 pp to get there. Lots of beach bars and clubs up and down this lovely little place. Lots of natural shade, lots of loungers for rent. No hit or miss about the clarity of the water here. Never seen it anything but crystal clear and been there many times over several years. Taxis are plentiful to return and the return ride is only $2 pp.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 8:52 PM, LSKC said:

Thanks.

We do the same in Key West.  Another endorsement for Captain Marvin's in Grand Cayman.   Not a fan of the beaches in Costa Maya.

18 hours ago, LSKC said:

Nachi Cocom looks perfect for Cozumel. Thx.

It is in Costa Maya, not Cozumel.  That is unless there is another one in Cozumel.  You can look it up online, and see the reviews on Trip Advisor.  Have fun!

On 11/28/2019 at 10:26 AM, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Nachi IS in Cozumel.

Maya Chan is the one I have heard most about in Costa Maya.

OMG!  You're right, it is in Cozumel.  And the worst part is, we have been there, and all this time I have been thinking we were in Costa Maya! My kids will be putting me in "the home" any day now.   I'm making a reservation there for our March cruise, as we enjoyed it so much.  We stop in both Costa Maya & Cozumel, so maybe that can be my excuse for the confusion.  So sorry.

• Like 1

It time allows in Cozumel or Costa Maya  I would go to Coba ruins but as its quite far I would only do this as a ships tour.

I know Cayman quite well as family live there,  My favourite place is Starfish point (very quite, no bars loads of starfish in the shallow waters here (google it for images). This could be combined with a tour to Rum point or Kaibo both have bar/food

• Like 1

On 11/30/2019 at 3:05 PM, Madio said:

We stop in both Costa Maya & Cozumel, so maybe that can be my excuse for the confusion.  So sorry.

Since you're stopping in both Costa Maya and Cozumel, I would second the earlier recommendation of Maya Chan.  The one major positive over Nachi is that it includes transportation.  Check out their website.

Costa Maya usually  has a nice excursion to the  Mayan  village/pyramids.  Long ride but very interesting history..,take bug spray.  We obce snorjeled in this port but the water was too rough for us,

We usually skip getting off at GC, it can be very congested.,  The seven Mile beach area is nice. You can get there on your own or book a beach club tour.

Cozumel has nice restaurants and shopping.