How does Avalon compare to Crystal and Uniworld?

SuiteTraveler

I want to do a Seine cruise, but unfortunately Crystal is not there yet.  Uniworld does it but is quite expensive - may still bite the bullet and do it, but first, I am considering AMA and Avalon.  I know AMA is considered more comparable to Crystal and Uniworld, but how about Avalon?

Avalon have newish ships and nice cabins but its not all inclusive if that matters to you.

Scenic has a smaller vessel that sails and docks in Honfleur, many others do not go all the way. 

Friends recently did south of France and Bordeaux  with them and enjoyed the experience, they sailed in one of the larger cabins, all inclusive. 

AMA has generally good food but so much depends on the staff on board for all lines.

Many variables can impact including the river levels.

Lots of wonderful choices. 

My in-laws have done 4 or 5 Uniworld cruises and did 1 Avalon cruise with us - they enjoyed all the cruises and there wasn't anything that they enjoyed about uniworld (other than a longer relationships and - at that time - decent repeat cruiser perks) that Avalon didn't provide. They don't drink much so the wine/beer at meals on Avalon was fine, and the number of included excursions on Avalon was also great for them. 

We have done two Avalon cruises (europe christmas markets & Mekong) and have really loved - feel no need for more luxury or whatever else the additional $ on Uniworld (or Crystal or....) would provide. We especially love the cabin layout on most of Avalon's ships - the huge windows that open, with beds facing out.

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 1

I would say Avalon is more comparable to Viking  than Crystal. Uniworld seems to me to be a line in transition that is looking for its niche. Personally I would not spend the extra $ to cruise with them over Avalon. I really like Avalon. They are now staffing all ships with an active discovery director (or something like that). They will offer a more active afternoon activity (hike, bike ride, run, etc.) each day most of which are included at no extra cost if that would be of interest to you. 

• Thanks 1

I have done one cruise on Avalon (in one of their panorama suites) and four on Uniworld, including two on the Seine. We tend to travel early in the season, as those cruises are usually the ones discounted.

Most recently, we were upgraded to a suite on the Joie de Vivre. The suite was about the same size as Avalon’s suite we were in. Uniworld had Butler service and the savoir bedding, both of which gave them the advantage.

We find the level of service and attention to detail much better on Uniworld. The staff, across the board, has been much engaging (especially the cruise directors) We also prefer the nearly all-inclusive pricing. Food is always subjective, but we Feel Uniworld offers more choices, and is overall better in quality.

If traveling in late March is an option, check the pricing.

Robin

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

I have done AMA and Uniworld but not Crystal. I would recommend both lines and will be taking my 2nd AMA

cruise in April.

Lois, where are going in April?  

I don’t know if Avalon compares to Crystal because as has been mentioned, Crystal is more inclusive. However, I think that Avalon is better than Viking, at least in terms of how they deal with difficulties on the rivers. Avalon is part of the Globus family of companies and as a result has contracts with many hotels, buses, etc. When I did Paris to Normandy in 2016 and the river was so high that the ships couldn’t sail back into Paris and were stuck in Rouen, Avalon altered our itinerary so we did not miss any stops. They then bused us into Paris and put us up at a 5-star hotel very close to the Arc d’Triomphe. Passengers on Viking had to stay on the ship in Rouen and had 3-hour bus rides each way into and out of Paris. 

I’ve done two cruises with Avalon on the rivers and have done 1 cruise with Crystal on the ocean. While I love being pampered by Crystal, I just don’t see the need to spend the extra money on a river cruise and have been very happy with my Avalon cruises. 

Avalon also provides a greater repeat customer discount compared to Crystal. 

In defense of Viking, they have learned a lot since 2016.  On the Danube their huge number of ships has enabled them to arrange 'ship swaps' that minimize hotel stays and maximize actual sailing even under the worst conditions.  The two itineraries where they so far haven't managed this as well are the Elbe [where nobody can sail reliably and I wonder why anybody still tries] and the Seine [where Viking thought they could strong-arm the French government into allowing 135m ships into Paris and discovered that the French bow to no one – but they are finally building smaller ships so they will be able to remedy this]

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

In defense of Viking, they have learned a lot since 2016.  On the Danube their huge number of ships has enabled them to arrange 'ship swaps' that minimize hotel stays and maximize actual sailing even under the worst conditions.  

I have a friend who sailed last year (2018), swapped ships 3x and will never sail with them again on how they handled it. I think they would have appreciated a hotel stay. They felt like they spent more time on a bus than necessary and barely saw anything. They did get $1000 to use towards another trip and will never use it. I am not even sure if they received a free cruise with them if they would use it.

Edited by Coral

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 9:48 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Roz, going on The Douro---Lisbon to Porto.

Me too Lois, 4/18. What ship. I am on AMADouro but not going to Lisbon at the start.  Staying porto instead.  They wanted crazy money for the "land" in Lisbon for solo.

1 hour ago, CUTTERSAM said:

Me too Lois, 4/18. What ship. I am on AMADouro but not going to Lisbon at the start.  Staying porto instead.  They wanted crazy money for the "land" in Lisbon for solo.

Hi, same ship:classic_biggrin: but going after you...….I am taking a TA crossing arriving in Barcelona on 4/22. Flying to Lisbon

and doing the land trip with AMA first.  So you will be on the sailing right before me. This is a big

Celebration cruise for me and the land/cruise was already budgeted out so I am good with it. But

I understand the $$ part for sure.

On 11/29/2019 at 9:48 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Roz, going on The Douro---Lisbon to Porto.

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Hi, same ship:classic_biggrin: but going after you...….I am taking a TA crossing arriving in Barcelona on 4/22. Flying to Lisbon

and doing the land trip with AMA first.  So you will be on the sailing right before me.

I will put in a good word for you with the bartender.  Speaking of, I really dislike AMA's Sip and Sail. Prior to that addition, I would go to the bar for my pre dinner cocktail,  it was peaceful and I had the opportunity to chat with my favorite bartender, Medhi

Now it's like a bread line during the depression, people are trampling each other to get their share before time runs out, you'd think they never saw liquor before.  Now I go a half our before so I can relax before the crush. Like Bill Parcels said, "Act like you've done this before"

• Haha 1