First Cunard Cruise

MIJOY

We just booked a cruise to Alaska on the Queen Elizabeth, we usually cruise with Princess.

I of course have lots of questions.  The most important things are is the regular coffee drinkable and what is the cost of individual cups of specialty coffee?

I see they have a specialty coffee package for $15 per day and a menu showing everything offered but no prices.  Also will there be kettles in the room?  I am sure I will have many more questions over the next few months.

We are so looking forward to this cruise, we have wanted to do the Transalantic on the QM2 but the timing has not work out for us.

14 minutes ago, MIJOY said:

We just booked a cruise to Alaska on the Queen Elizabeth, we usually cruise with Princess.

I of course have lots of questions.  The most important things are is the regular coffee drinkable and what is the cost of individual cups of specialty coffee?

I see they have a specialty coffee package for $15 per day and a menu showing everything offered but no prices.  Also will there be kettles in the room?  I am sure I will have many more questions over the next few months.

We are so looking forward to this cruise, we have wanted to do the Transalantic on the QM2 but the timing has not work out for us.

I find the regular coffee drinkable, though it seems to be a matter of taste. There are kettles in the cabin. Don't know about specialty coffees, but, if you are in the Grills, most non alcoholic coffee in the lounge seems to be free.

I do know that coffee can be a deal breaker.
Recently, while in hospital, a fellow patient (about 40-ish) discharged himself during his post-op recovery period because he didn't like the coffee. Habit before health.
During a prolonged power-cut in our neighbourhood, one of the few places with power was a local supermarket. There was a huge line-up. Not for groceries. For hot coffee. You could see them twitching and agitated.
I can recall a fridge magnet that said, "No coffee - no workee".

Given the prices of some coffee-makers, I'm guessing there are plenty of coffee drinkers who take no prisoners.

• Like 2

I found the coffee up in the Lido Buffet was quite drinkable, so I always went there for my fix. They also had machines that gave very hot water for tea and a selection of Twinings teas. (The lemon ginger is good if your tummy feels a little wobbly from the waves) We had Twinings tea and coffee and a kettle in our Britannia balcony room. I think we just made tea in the room though. When they opened deck five for scenic viewing, they often had some sort of hot beverage there as well, but I can't remember what it was. It was all very civilized. We enjoyed having the fridge and coffee making facilities in the room. The sofa was right be the balcony window so we could see out if we came in to get warmed up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2019 at 7:15 PM, kmerlin14 said:

I found the coffee up in the Lido Buffet was quite drinkable, so I always went there for my fix. They also had machines that gave very hot water for tea and a selection of Twinings teas. (The lemon ginger is good if your tummy feels a little wobbly from the waves) We had Twinings tea and coffee and a kettle in our Britannia balcony room. I think we just made tea in the room though. When they opened deck five for scenic viewing, they often had some sort of hot beverage there as well, but I can't remember what it was. It was all very civilized. We enjoyed having the fridge and coffee making facilities in the room. The sofa was right be the balcony window so we could see out if we came in to get warmed up.

Is there a coffee maker in the cabin or a kettle for tea or instant coffee?  Are tea and coffee provided in the cabin.  I usually sail with Princess and have to actually wake up and get dressed before having coffee. 

12 hours ago, MIJOY said:

Is there a coffee maker in the cabin or a kettle for tea or instant coffee?  Are tea and coffee provided in the cabin.  I usually sail with Princess and have to actually wake up and get dressed before having coffee. 

There was a kettle and a selection of teas and instant coffee for sure. I think there were packages of cookies or something too, but I have to watch my sugar intake, so I avoided them. We were in the Brittania balcony cabins (ie not a suite or Brittania club) We often brought the lemon ginger tea down form the buffet so that we could make it whenever we wanted. I can't remember if we made coffee or not because we found we enjoyed having our morning coffee in the Lido buffet because we were usually able to get a table that looked out over the water and I liked the coffee up there. It was all very civilized.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 12:59 PM, MIJOY said:

Let me start by saying that I adore Cunard!!!! I think it is such a special and wonderful experience- but, that said, Cunard coffee is not excellent.

It really depends on how much you love good quality coffee...

We love coffee... to the point we are probably coffee snobs. It’s ok... we admit it... hahaha!

I am also a coffee purist and I drink my coffee black... So if it is not good, I don’t have anything to cover it up. My spouse only adds a bit of sugar.

We did not like the coffee In the Lido or the main dining room on Cunard... for such a beautiful line, their coffee is Truly not up to what it should be. 

In the end, we purchased illy espresso and espresso drinks from the coffee bar.

On our next voyage we will be bringing a French Press Or “pour over“ cones from home with coffee grounds... then we can use water from our kettle in the room to make good coffee... This method was suggested to us several times from other coffee lover Cunarders on groups and boards before our first voyage, but we thought we should try the coffee... next time we shall take the coffee lovers advice. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, naturelovergirl said:

Let me start by saying that I adore Cunard!!!! I think it is such a special and wonderful experience- but, that said, Cunard coffee is not excellent.

It really depends on how much you love good quality coffee...

We love coffee... to the point we are probably coffee snobs. It’s ok... we admit it... hahaha!

I am also a coffee purist and I drink my coffee black... So if it is not good, I don’t have anything to cover it up. My spouse only adds a bit of sugar.

We did not like the coffee In the Lido or the main dining room on Cunard... for such a beautiful line, their coffee is Truly not up to what it should be. 

In the end, we purchased illy espresso and espresso drinks from the coffee bar.

On our next voyage we will be bringing a French Press Or “pour over“ cones from home with coffee grounds... then we can use water from our kettle in the room to make good coffee... This method was suggested to us several times from other coffee lover Cunarders on groups and boards before our first voyage, but we thought we should try the coffee... next time we shall take the coffee lovers advice. 

Thanks, this is the the information I needed.  I will be packing a pour over and my own coffee along with a few single serve instant packs.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

silly question but do I remember they had instant coffee singles in the room and what brand were they?  I really liked the taste and a google search doesn't bring up anything that looks familiar.  Like these but a different brand (probably european?)  https://www.amazon.com/Nescafe-classic-CASE-28-18g/dp/B006WAJKL2/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=nescafe+coffee+singles&qid=1622711900&sr=8-17

8 hours ago, dmzg said:

silly question but do I remember they had instant coffee singles in the room and what brand were they?  I really liked the taste and a google search doesn't bring up anything that looks familiar.  Like these but a different brand (probably european?)  https://www.amazon.com/Nescafe-classic-CASE-28-18g/dp/B006WAJKL2/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=nescafe+coffee+singles&qid=1622711900&sr=8-17

On the QM2, the last time we were on we saw the Tea/Coffee Pot, Tea & Coffee Packets, Sweeter & Dry Creamer and several packages of various cracker and cookies on the serving tray on the desk. Oh, they also supplies the large bottle of water since they did not want the tap water from the sink to be used. The Stewardess told us, if the sink water is used they would have to re boil out the pot.

Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the tray that would show the names of the products on it.

59 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

On the QM2, the last time we were on we saw the Tea/Coffee Pot, Tea & Coffee Packets, Sweeter & Dry Creamer and several packages of various cracker and cookies on the serving tray on the desk. Oh, they also supplies the large bottle of water since they did not want the tap water from the sink to be used. The Stewardess told us, if the sink water is used they would have to re boil out the pot.

Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the tray that would show the names of the products on it.

On our last two post 'remastering' crossings [2017 & 2019] we had the kettle - but no special water supply was provided.

15 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

On our last two post 'remastering' crossings [2017 & 2019] we had the kettle - but no special water supply was provided.

Yes, we were on board sailing in 2017 in the Deck 13 additions with the Kettle. We were in Club Britiannia Class which may have made the difference. The two (2) large bottles of water were replenished without the room being charged the entire sailing. 

tea-and-coffee-facilities-in-cabin-6201-on-queen-mary-2.jpg

We were on the QE in Feb 20. There was twinnings  teas (which are OK) and a pretty poor  instant coffee . There is long-life milk in the fridge, sweeteners, sugar and some biscuits (I think) 

I ordered a flat white or capuccino after dinner in the dining room and found we weren't charged -  that works for any meals in Britannia. The made cofffees are decent. Next time I'll probably bring some coffee bags -the time with grounds in them) for the cabin. 

There was bottled water but we refuse to pay for water - nothing wrong with the stuff in the tap 

On 6/3/2021 at 8:38 PM, oskidunker said:

Is there a coffee maker in the PrincessGrills rooms?

I was last on Cunard with a 2018 QM2 transatlantic in PG. There was a kettle and an Illy coffee maker (uses their pods) in the suite.

Here's a reverse question.

Would it be an imposition to ask the cabin attendant to remove all the coffee/tea items, as well as ice bucket, etc.?

I would never use them.

Although clutter is an unfortunate fact of life at home, on a cruise I enjoy living with a minimum of items visible around me.

29 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Here's a reverse question.

Would it be an imposition to ask the cabin attendant to remove all the coffee/tea items, as well as ice bucket, etc.?

I would never use them.

Although clutter is an unfortunate fact of life at home, on a cruise I enjoy living with a minimum of items visible around me.

It wouldn't be a problem, I'm sure.

• Like 1