Ocean Medallion insert card size.

masterty

I have looked high and low for precise dimentions of the insert card offered for the Ocean Medallion default holder. I simply wanted to make my own inserts be be different and creative. I finally recieved my first OM today. I quickly grabbed some calipers and mic'd out the dimentions of the card. I am sharing my findings with you. 

Enjoy..
medallion.thumb.jpg.142191acfc369de98c5f276070f38316.jpg

medalliondimentions.pdf

Edited by masterty
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

When I first read about creating your own inserts I thought it was a good idea.  However, since our first Medallion cruise isn't until February, I was like you, no idea of where to start without dimensions.  Thank you for posting.  It is much appreciated.

Here are pictures of what I did. You can squeeze the clip and remove it if needed. You can also replace the neck chain with a small safety pin. I used ShoeGoo to glue it to the medallion. Tried to pull it off. No way. Sticks great. Nice and small this way.

Medallion 1.JPG

Medallion 2.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Thrak said:

What kind of paper stock are you using for the insert? Do you just use regular printer paper or are you using heavier stuff such as light card stock or photo paper?

I plan on printing them on 80 or 100 lb paper. I do not plan on printing the reverse side. I will have 2 inserts per holder. I plan on printing several inserts. The ones I print for our group will have ship name, dates, and maybe even our family name. Our Christmas/NYE cruise on the Sky is with with 8 of us all sharing the same last name.

Edited by masterty

On 12/4/2019 at 9:50 PM, masterty said:

Below is a template of posibilities. We are leaving on a Christmas cruise soon and these should work wonderfully. Please share them.  You should also be able to add personaized text to them. Enjoy.  

medalliontemplate4.pdf 1.91 MB · 61 downloads

May I ask what software you used to create the correct size for your picture surrounds for the Medallion holder?  Looks quite professional.

I am thinking I could make my own as well and I am sure I might like on to have the Steelers logo built in.  And I know the Captain (@Lucky TGO) would want another team.  Long story short, there are a lot a posters on Princess showing various college or NFL affiliations that might want to do it (even if might have a technical copyright issue, but just for personal use).

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

May I ask what software you used to create the correct size for your picture surrounds for the Medallion holder?  Looks quite professional.

I am thinking I could make my own as well and I am sure I might like on to have the Steelers logo built in.  And I know the Captain (@Lucky TGO) would want another team.  Long story short, there are a lot a posters on Princess showing various college or NFL affiliations that might want to do it (even if might have a technical copyright issue, but just for personal use).

I made both images and the PDF in your quote with Corel Draw. It is a fairly generic vector drawing software I use for work. Been using it off and on for 20 years.  www.corel.com. Post an image here and I would be happy to place it in a template for you and post back here to share. Remember to note the big hole that will occur in the middle of the image and let me know if there is any text you wish added. 

Edited by masterty

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

What kind of paper stock are you using for the insert? Do you just use regular printer paper or are you using heavier stuff such as light card stock or photo paper?

Hi Thrak, while you didn't ask me, 😉 I will tell you what I did.  I traced the Princess cut out and bought the heavier card stock paper at Michael's.  It was $1.99, but the $0.79 paper that was thinner would have also worked OK.  I had to use a box cutter to help make the cuts. It was not exact, but close enough.  It was a tough push to push them together, but I think it works OK.  

1 hour ago, masterty said:

I made both images and the PDF in your quote with Corel Draw. It is a fairly generic vector drawing software I use for work. Been using it off and on for 20 years.  www.corel.com. Post an image here and I would be happy to place it in a template for you and post back here to share. Remember to note the big hole that will occur in the middle of the image and let me know if there is any text you wish added. 

Thanks for the offer.  I am aware of Corel Draw, but do not own/license it.

Yes, I know about the hole.  I also realize that if I were to make one featuring the Steelers' logo, it would be obliterated by the hole, rendering the effort useless.  LOL.

You need something like you did where there is a general scene, with a hole cut out.

You are being very generous and helpful to folks here.  Thank you.  If I come up with something that strikes me would look good, I just may take you up on your earlier offer.  

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 9:34 PM, steelers36 said:

Yes, I know about the hole.  I also realize that if I were to make one featuring the Steelers' logo, it would be obliterated by the hole, rendering the effort useless.  LOL.

Do you have any CAD or graphics program? I am picturing one star on each of three sides of the medallion hole and STEELERS vertical on the left. Or 'rotate' the colorscheme and put Steelers across the bottom. The four-pointed stars are well-enough known that it would be recognizable!

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Do you have any CAD or graphics program? I am picturing one star on each of three sides of the medallion hole and STEELERS vertical on the left. Or 'rotate' the colorscheme and put Steelers across the bottom. The four-pointed stars are well-enough known that it would be recognizable!

Quite right, but I have two strikes against me.  No such software and I am not artistic.  LOL.  BTW, your concept reads as very smart and attractive.  I would want one for sure if I was ever fortunate to sail with my friend @Lucky TGO (aka Captain of the Rowboat).

Edited by steelers36

26 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Quite right, but I have two strikes against me.  No such software and I am not artistic.  LOL.  BTW, your concept reads as very smart and attractive.  I would want one for sure if I was ever fortunate to sail with my friend @Lucky TGO (aka Captain of the Rowboat).

I am not much of an atrist either but I can work a mouse. I hope one of these will work. 

Steelers.pdf

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, masterty said:

I am not much of an artist either but I can work a mouse. I hope one of these will work. 

Steelers.pdf 395.65 kB · 1 download

Wow!!  That is terrific.  I really like the second two as they also include the Sea Witch logo.  If I am ever aware of being on same cruise as you, I would gladly buy you a drink!! Salut! 

I am a math/analytical person and my right brain struggles.  LOL.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I am not much of an artist either but I can work a mouse. I hope one of these will work. 

Here is a quickly put-together end result of your handiwork, just using plain printer paper for now:

What do you think, T?  ( @Lucky TGO)

Steelers Medallion.png

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

Here is a quickly put-together end result of your handiwork, just using plain printer paper for now:

What do you think, T?  ( @Lucky TGO)

Steelers Medallion.png

Nice! I have not even put one of mine in a holder yet. Can't wait to get mine back from the printer (aka my brother) this weekend.