Live Aboard Veendam

Clay Clayton

15 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

There have been some differences between the MDR and the buffet-for example last night the menu said there was turkey in the MDR but brisket in the Lido. The brisket was actually whole roast pig (delicious) and they are supposed to have turkey upstairs tonight being carved. Hopefully it’s not leftovers from last night 😂

<snip>

Mmmmmmmmm, definitely going to the Lido that night, sounds delish!! Will also definitely follow your blog, thanks for the info!

Best wishes!

Thanks y’all!

if you want some background on us and how we ended up going on this crazy adventure, I suggest reading this post:

https://cruisinwithclay.com/2017/08/

From there you can read as much or as little as you wish about our nomadic lives since then. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

There were other choices which were fine but nothing special except for the linzer cookie which was delicious! See photo below of the whole stand. 

The entertainment this week has been the Veendam Singers and Dancers (three of the four are quite good!), a comedian and his puppet (tonight-probably won’t go), a pianist (didn’t go as we ended up being still at dinner) and BBC World. 

The “as you wish” dining program should perhaps be renamed “as we wish”. The maitre’d basically told us if we do not want a wait then we need to come before 5:15 or after 7:30. Fixed seating wasn’t an option offered us and I wasn’t too upset about it since early was too early and late too late.  Not a biggie as we really aren’t show folks and we have gotten used to expecting a 20-30 minute wait to be seated. But other lines seem to perhaps have a better system. It is crazy to see the number of empty tables waiting to be reset when there are so many folks waiting to be seated.  Also, HAL seems to need more seaters. One night there was only one so there were six or eight parties standing waiting for him to take them to their tables. 

C1A9FCB2-E79D-440D-9554-E9CBA53C8E51.jpeg

If the comedian and puppet is Mike Robinson, he is hilarious. we have seen him on the Maasdam and the Veendam and never stopped laughing.

• Like 1

Clay, about the as you wish dining.  You can call and make a reservation for up to three nights in the MDR.  Please call about 8:30 a.m.  You can reserve dining time and table.  We have found it works beautifully the times we've had dining in the lower MDR.  At dinner, simply go to the reserved line, check in, and you should immediately be shown to your table.  It certainly saves a lot of aggravation, hassle, and headache.  You can request the same table, which allows you to stay with the same waiter if you desire.  It has the advantages of fixed dining without being "stuck" with a set time that may not suit you every evening.  Hope this suggestion helps ease one problem for you.  Have a fabulous cruise.

Thanks for the suggestion and sorry I forgot to mention but we waited too late to try to make reservations.  The only available times were 5:30 or after 7:45.  We went ahead and took the early time for the last Gala Night.  

One of the reasons we like using whatever each line calls their walk up program is we prefer to eat when we are hungry and not having to decide that ahead of time.  However, knowing that we have an early dinner time tomorrow we will be sure to eat a light lunch.  

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Thanks y’all!

if you want some background on us and how we ended up going on this crazy adventure, I suggest reading this post:

https://cruisinwithclay.com/2017/08/

From there you can read as much or as little as you wish about our nomadic lives since then. 

Thanks, a very interesting read! I'm very interested in your retir….errrrr, not working ...life (and insurance, possibly living overseas, etc., etc.!).

Thanks, too, to sevenseasnomad and your suggestion about calling the MDR in the morning to reserve a table. We'll give it a try next month! 

Best wishes!

20 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Canadian ventriloquist Patrick Murray and his Jamaican bombshell counterpart, Miss Matilda, are very funny

image.jpeg.f3ed6385e7c7b6347bf7967107b8d5e9.jpeg

I am about 95% certain that this is the same guy who entertained on our honeymoon cruise in 1998 on Celebrity Century.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 2:42 PM, kgd said:

How formal (ie tuxes) are the gala nights or are most of the men just wearing suits

No, not overly formal. Suit is just fine. My husband doesn't own a suit any more. He wears a jacket, shirt and tie with his docker type trousers.

We will be on the Veendam over Xmas.  Wondering how many kids are on there now?

Have been reading some very polarizing reviews...honestly a little nervous.  We were on the Oosterdam for a Greek cruise several summers ago and had a blast.  The itinerary was very fast paced so we really enjoyed relaxing when we were on the ship.  We really want to do the same on this vacation.  Don't mind the low key part of it but want to make sure there are activities for all of us on the days at sea...especially the kids.

Love the updates!

On 12/9/2019 at 10:15 AM, Vic The Parrot said:

I like your "Live From" so far. Can't wait for the next installment. 

BTW ... Next time when you peruse the bar menu, can you check if Strongbow is  served on board? Thanks!  😋😎

It is on the menu.  Haven’t tried to order. 

On 12/9/2019 at 10:23 AM, Floridiana said:

No, not overly formal. Suit is just fine. My husband doesn't own a suit any more. He wears a jacket, shirt and tie with his docker type trousers.

Most of the men are wearing khakis and collared shirts. I saw four or five tuxedoes and one dinner jacket last night and perhaps 30% of the men wearing sports jackets or suits. We did not feel out of place in our nice dress shirts and pants.