ms Zuiderdam in Port Everglades December 10, 2019

Scrapnana

Just now, rafinmd said:

Is the pilot a happy camper too?

Roy

Shift work for them. I was onboard for a delay once so they sent that pilot back to his office and replaced him with another one who had come on duty when it came time for a delayed departure

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

That had to be an experience! How was the food? Borscht?

It's a long time ago but I think for me it was burgers and standard breahfast stuff.  Some people bought baked goods on the siding but I was a bit reluctant to potentially get left behind.  The cabins were 2 person and I had rotating roommates throughout the journey.

Roy

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I leave home January 14 and sail January 22.  A bit of a story on the delay.  I have never circled the globe without flying.  I made an attempt in 2003, freighter to Europe, train and ferry connections to St. Petersburg and onward to Beijing, and then Crystal Harmony to Vancouver and train back home.

Everything was going along as it should until I checked my email before leaving my Moscow Hotel.  The Harmony Asia season had been cancelled due to SARS, and I had to fly across the Pacific.

HAL world cruise is longer than I can be between cancer treatments but I found the solution this year.  Amtrak to California, Crystal Serenity to Sydney, and 3 days later QM2 to New York.  I'm leaving a lot of wiggle room in my Amtrak calendar just to make sure I don't need to fly to LA if there's a weather or other issue.

Are you on the WC this year?

Roy

Yes.  I started packing today because FedEx picks up my bags next Monday,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Considering that most HAL departures are 1700 this year this isn't so bad.  Just glad it's still daylight.

Roy

It's been interesting watching their departures as to time.  For some time, it had been 1700, then 1600, now back to 1700, so it seems.  I have wondered why the changes in departure times for quite some time.