Future NA Sailings - Any chance of changing sailing?

Samanthac25

2 hours ago, wesport said:

The rooms should be ready early sine there has been one week to clean!

That's what I was thinking! Do you think a lot of people will show up earlier than usual or stick to their suggested boarding times? 

Edited by Samanthac25

8 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

That's what I was thinking! Do you think a lot of people will show up earlier than usual or stick to their suggested boarding times? 

The rooms should be ready, but I wonder if there are any inspections required because of the repairs. 

Maybe. Maybe not. At least on planned drydocks there are workers who come aboard and live there for the duration. They stay in passenger cabins. 
Now, I have no idea if that is what's going to happen during this repair, but if it does, at a minimum some of the cabins will need a complete turnover, just like on a disembarkation/embarkation day. 

35 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The rooms should be ready, but I wonder if there are any inspections required because of the repairs. 

Are we sure they are making repairs? This was the update posted on the HAL Facebook page:

"Update - Nieuw Amsterdam will depart as scheduled on the Dec. 21 and Dec. 28 Caribbean cruises. Booked guests and their travel advisors have been sent their confirmations. The ship has been cleared as safe to sail by several regulatory authorities and meets all international safety standards. We look forward to welcoming our guests on their holiday cruises."

I wonder if that means they were cleared to sail with one azipod? I can't imagine they made repairs and were cleared as safe to sail by 5pm yesterday. 

Not that I mind either way, I will be boarding on Saturday with a smile on my face with one azipod or two 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Samanthac25 said:

I wonder if that means they were cleared to sail with one azipod? I can't imagine they made repairs and were cleared as safe to sail by 5pm yesterday. 

Not that I mind either way, I will be boarding on Saturday with a smile on my face with one azipod or two 🙂 

Hmmm. Just as I thought that the pod party was over.

Don't upset yourself by reading this forum. No one here has the inside scoop. All that matters is that HAL has confirmed your departure. So, they're on the hook.

The latest news means that the authorities have received confirmation from the shipyard, which is able to run computer simulations. The ship will depart with one or both pods.

Of course, HAL would prefer to run both pods to maintain the schedule. The Captain would prefer to have full power in difficult conditions.

You will know the situation based on the itinerary. A drastic reduction in speed means one pod. But, you're not worried about that. So enjoy your cruise. The matter is in the hands of the professionals.

10 minutes ago, RuthC said:

It's only early Thursday morning and it's not a long distance. No need to rush the work.

They can probably leave mid-late afternoon on Friday and get to FLL by Sat AM.

LOVE your current chocolate line. That's my favorite non-carol Christmas song. (even with the original "sable")

• Like 1

Curious as to when the Nieuw Amsterdam will be heading back to Lauderdale. Still in Bahamas. 

Relax.

HAL has said that the itinerary is unchanged. Suggests that the ship will be running at near normal speed. As the ship is still at Freeport, we can assume that repairs are ongoing. BTW, The X version of the Azipod allows for access from inside the ship. See Page 7...

http://www02.abb.com/global/seitp/seitp202.nsf/0/7b6a657efb325aafc12577f900241fa8/$file/Azipod+XO+Basic.pdf

Not absolutely necessary for a dry dock.

8 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Relax.

HAL has said that the itinerary is unchanged. Suggests that the ship will be running at near normal speed. As the ship is still at Freeport, we can assume that repairs are ongoing. BTW, The X version of the Azipod allows for access from inside the ship. See Page 7...

http://www02.abb.com/global/seitp/seitp202.nsf/0/7b6a657efb325aafc12577f900241fa8/$file/Azipod+XO+Basic.pdf

Not absolutely necessary for a dry dock.

Very interesting. I didn't know they could work on it from the inside.