Future NA Sailings - Any chance of changing sailing?

Samanthac25

With NA currently out of commission, does anyone know of HAL might allow future cruisers to change sailings? We are supposed to be on next Saturday’s sailing (12/21) and am concerned that it may be canceled. I’m wondering if we’d be able to change to a different ship/itinerary? I’m going to call tomorrow but thought I’d ask here in case anyone has had any experiences with changes. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

With NA currently out of commission, does anyone know of HAL might allow future cruisers to change sailings? We are supposed to be on next Saturday’s sailing (12/21) and am concerned that it may be canceled. I’m wondering if we’d be able to change to a different ship/itinerary? I’m going to call tomorrow but thought I’d ask here in case anyone has had any experiences with changes. Thanks!

I'd say you may need to wait for HAL to contact you about whether or not your cruise is cancelled and what your options are at that time.  

Until the next cruise is actually cancelled, if you call to cancel, you'll have penalties, since you're only a week out from the cruise.

• Like 1

HAL posted a notice on their FB page.  No point in calling tomorrow.  It won’t be known.

The part that applies to the OP (and anyone else booked on the Dec. 21st sailing) from HAL’s post (in bold):

It is not known at this time what impact there may be on upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam sailings. For the cruise scheduled to depart on Dec. 21, booked guests and their travel advisors will be notified no later than Tuesday, Dec. 17, at noon PDT/3 p.m. EDT if any adjustments are required.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Until the next cruise is actually cancelled, if you call to cancel, you'll have penalties, since you're only a week out from the cruise.

Good point. I am sure there are some rooms available on the 12/20 and 12/22 HAL sailings out of Port Everglades but definitely not enough to accommodate the 2000 passengers that would be effected in the event of a cancellation on NA. Fingers crossed until Tuesday at 3 and hoping for good news. 

1 minute ago, wesport said:

We are on the 12/21 sailing also. I guess we will have to wait until 3pm Tuesday to find out. The suspense is killing me. Have to go with the flow for now. 

It's killing me too! I called this morning and they didn't have any additional info (as expected) but they also let me know that the 7 day sailing leaving on Sunday 12/22 (I forget which ship) is now sold out as of this morning. Last night when I checked there was availability in most stateroom categories. My guess is that some have already made the switch. 

Have you started investigating a backup plan that would/could work with your booked flights?  If I was in your position of not knowing whether or not you're going to sail, I'd be looking into things you could do that weren't a cruise.  For me, that would give me a bit of peace of mind.  I hope this all works out for you ❤️

• Like 2

Lots of good ideas.

Don't get stressed out by the uncertainty. Do some research on alternatives. The activity will restore your confidence because you have mastery over the situation.

It is entirely possible that your departure will proceed as planned. HAL has been so generous to the aborted departure. It may mean that they are confident of a quick fix.

Should your departure be cancelled also, you get a free cruise later this year!

2 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

Have you started investigating a backup plan that would/could work with your booked flights?  If I was in your position of not knowing whether or not you're going to sail, I'd be looking into things you could do that weren't a cruise.  For me, that would give me a bit of peace of mind.  I hope this all works out for you ❤️

That's what I would be doing.  I would have all the options laid out so as soon as a decision is made I'd be on the phone booking something new.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2019 at 3:15 PM, kazu said:

HAL posted a notice on their FB page.  No point in calling tomorrow.  It won’t be known.

The part that applies to the OP (and anyone else booked on the Dec. 21st sailing) from HAL’s post (in bold):

It is not known at this time what impact there may be on upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam sailings. For the cruise scheduled to depart on Dec. 21, booked guests and their travel advisors will be notified no later than Tuesday, Dec. 17, at noon PDT/3 p.m. EDT if any adjustments are required.

•  

Did the HAL letter really say "...noon PDT/3pm EDT..."?  DAYLIGHT time?  Maybe they copied something from a previous letter... ugh.  Don't they realize we're (almost all - can't think of who isn't but my guess is that somewhere they keep Daylight time all year) on STANDARD time this time of year...  or don't they proof-read such an important letter, and such an important point to those so anxious to get that information?  ugh.  

Fingers crossed for all of you waiting!  m--

28 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Did the HAL letter really say "...noon PDT/3pm EDT..."?  DAYLIGHT time?  Maybe they copied something from a previous letter... ugh.  Don't they realize we're (almost all - can't think of who isn't but my guess is that somewhere they keep Daylight time all year) on STANDARD time this time of year...  or don't they proof-read such an important letter, and such an important point to those so anxious to get that information?  ugh.  

Fingers crossed for all of you waiting!  m--

What I posted was a portion of the official notice regarding the N.Amsterdam by HAL on both FB and twitter.  It was copied and pasted word for word.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

What I posted was a portion of the official notice regarding the N.Amsterdam by HAL on both FB and twitter.  It was copied and pasted word for word.

Thank you Jacqui, all I can say is oiy!   I do hope those waiting for word will hear soon and all will be good for them to go on their long-awaited holiday!  Maureen

On 12/16/2019 at 12:56 PM, wesport said:

All cruises next week are showing sold out. Last night most categories were still open. Thinking they blocked them just in case

If HAL has any sense, that's what they should do. Anyone on Saturday's sailing should have a list of preferences and hope they can be accommodated. People need to be prepared to be flexible. The replacement cruise may not be ideal, but it's better than no cruise at all.

Of course, this is easy for me to say, as I'm not on any upcoming cruise. If I were, I'd be tearing my hair out at this point. Good luck to all who are waiting.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wesport said:

3pm est. no word from HAL on 12/21 sailing. 

They said that they have a team on the ship diagnosing the issue right now and that they are running later than expected so their report isn't ready yet. He said they should know in about an hour or so "if the ship is seaworthy or not". 

5 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

They said that they have a team on the ship diagnosing the issue right now and that they are running later than expected so their report isn't ready yet. He said they should know in about an hour or so "if the ship is seaworthy or not". 

thanks