How does one book with a refundable deposit?

Scottee25

When I attempt to book on the website I don't see any option to select between refundable and non-refundable deposits. So how does one book a refundable deposit? Is it something I am missing on the site? Or is it not possible from the site? I tried to search this forum on "refundable deposit" but didn't find anything that would assist me with this question.

You have to go all the way thru the booking process including entering all passenger info and the refundable extra dollar amount will show up there.  Refundable is not available for Grand suites and above and also for guarantee rooms although there have been reports of folks getting it on those

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Use a travel agent with group rates; they are always refundable deposits (except for GS and up) and come with some great perks.

I have used TAs in the past. I prefer not to give up that much control of my reservation. I totally understand why some people prefer to use TAs but I like being able to make any change I desire without waiting on a TA to respond.

5 hours ago, molly361 said:

You have to go all the way thru the booking process including entering all passenger info and the refundable extra dollar amount will show up there.  Refundable is not available for Grand suites and above and also for guarantee rooms although there have been reports of folks getting it on those

I thought I had replied to you but I guess I did not. NRD are still eligible for price drops before final payment, correct?

1 hour ago, Scottee25 said:

I have used TAs in the past. I prefer not to give up that much control of my reservation. I totally understand why some people prefer to use TAs but I like being able to make any change I desire without waiting on a TA to respond.

I hear this argument frequently but honestly, I can’t imagine anything I would need to do with my reservation that I can’t do myself, and the financial savings are significant 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

What is the control you give up?

Asking for a friend...

Edited by matj2000

10 hours ago, molly361 said:

You have to go all the way thru the booking process including entering all passenger info and the refundable extra dollar amount will show up there. 

Not sure how the additional cost for the RD is calculated but it varies. I have a 5-night cruise which cost $30 more the RD and a TA which cost $199 more. 

16 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Asking for a friend...

Almost none in my experience. You need to get the TA involved to make payment, cancel the cruise, apply for price drops ( which I haven’t seen in years since booking the group rate)

other than that, you are 100% in control. 

17 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Asking for a friend...

Upgrades, room changes, price adjustments... Pretty much anything that you would need to call RC directly for today.

Anything you can do yourself online (check in, book excursions, buy drink packages, room decorations, etc.) still remains available for you online. 

I personally see no difference between calling RC or e-mailing/calling a TA. Now, if your TA is completely unresponsive, I do understand the concerns... but there are enough TAs out there who are willing to work for your business... 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Not sure how the additional cost for the RD is calculated but it varies. I have a 5-night cruise which cost $30 more the RD and a TA which cost $199 more. 

Seen over $900 more for refundable, this for me sailing Solo. 

7 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Just saw new high. Cruise price total if non-refundable Deposit is $1515.47. If I chose Refundable total will be $2822.97... 

That is pretty significant. For the Adventure TA in April 2021 it would have cost us $480 more for the cabin if we wanted a refundable deposit. We decided to forego that. My girlfriend was still holding out hope that a Suez Canal cruise would pop us which is why she at first wanted us to book refundable. However, she came to the realization that the Suez itinerary was not going to happen.

3 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

That is pretty significant. For the Adventure TA in April 2021 it would have cost us $480 more for the cabin if we wanted a refundable deposit. We decided to forego that. My girlfriend was still holding out hope that a Suez Canal cruise would pop us which is why she at first wanted us to book refundable. However, she came to the realization that the Suez itinerary was not going to happen.

Cruise is Odyssey Solo in Solo Balcony.... Though most ones I book the Refundable rate is usually at or higher then the Deposit like this one