Motion patch?

CruceroJM

For some, others, including my family, have adverse reactions to scopolamine 

I learned of Queeze-Ease on this boards.  Purchased on Amazon for $17.  It worked for us, along with wrist bands(sea bands), green apples and ginger beer.

Have a wonderful cruise with calm seas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it wasn't for the prescription Scopolamine patch, I would not be able to cruise.  Yes, there can be side effects - the worst for me is dry mouth and some drowsiness.

I'll gladly deal with those side effects if it means I can continue to cruise.

The over-the-counter patch, Dramamine, ginger, green apples, wrist bands, etc - do NOT work for me.  I have tried them all, alone and in combination.  

The ONLY thing that reliably works for me is the prescription patch.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, CruceroJM said:

Motion sickness patches, works?

My wife had tried them with mixed results.  
We’ve been drinking lemon water with ginger grated into the mix now. This plus practice of daily yoga has us sailing with no side effects.

I used to feel like I was still onboard for weeks after getting home. Especially in the shower.

But now nothing.

Yoga helps your balance.

Ginger for your stomach. Gin gin ginger chews are very good too! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, gizfish said:

They do work, but have many more side effects than an oral medication.  The oral medications (meclizine is the generic name) work for most people with fewer and way less disturbing side effects than the patch.  

The generic meclizine works very good on me on air or sea.  Travel Sickness (name of the medicine) is a generic for Bonine.  I got it at Walmart a 100 tablets for around $5.00 (must ask for it at the pharmacy even though it is an over counter medicine).  Just 1 pill for 24 hours and has no drowsiness side effect. 

• Thanks 1

The patches work but like others said have side affects. For me, my brother and sister in law we had the worst case of tiredness. For about two weeks after we removed patch we were extremely exhausted. I had never felt that tired in my life. When I googled the patch I saw that we were experiencing a withdrawal. I now use the prescription Meclizine and that works fine.

• Thanks 1

The patch works for me.  I cut it and only use 1/2 patch at a time though to avoid side effects.  It still works but I don't get a sore/dry throat and blurred vision that I would get after using a full patch for a few days.  

• Thanks 1

When we first started cruising, we used the wristbands.  They worked fine for us, but I just got tired of them.  Then, I started taking a ginger capsule morning & evening.  No problems with that method at all.  I have heard others recommend trying the patch out ahead of time to be sure you don't have any adverse reactions.  I haven't used bonine or meclazine - just never needed anything stronger than the ginger.  Sometimes I wonder if I actually need the ginger, but I figure better safe than sorry.  I found the yoga suggestion interesting.  I do have some issues after a cruise, so I'll have to try that next time.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ChattTenn said:

The generic meclizine works very good on me on air or sea.  Travel Sickness (name of the medicine) is a generic for Bonine.  I got it at Walmart a 100 tablets for around $5.00 (must ask for it at the pharmacy even though it is an over counter medicine).  Just 1 pill for 24 hours and has no drowsiness side effect. 

Exactly!  $35 get free shipping, order a bottle, order another $30 in various toiletries and you're done.  If/when you encounter rough seas take them and you'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

While watching an episode of Deadliest Catch I noticed a crew member that had the patch on behind his ear. So, if patches work for professional fishermen, they would probably work for you. And, my guess, is that they were over the counter because those guys could not work if they made them drowsy.

• Thanks 1