P&O Newbie - Needs help

royzer76

Hi guys.

My previous cruise experience is limited to Royal Caribbean. I know how things work with them and have zero clue about all things P&O.

Today's question (I'm anticipating that there will be more) is centered around dining.

We're all signed up for traditional dining or club dining I think P&O call it. How would I go about requesting a table for 2 in the main dining room. Any tips?? Is this like winning the lottery?

Is the best option for getting a table for 2 switching to flexible dining and just waiting for a table to become available?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can fire my way.

We will be sailing on 'Britannia' if that helps.

Any other advice about anything is greatly received.

Welcome... 

The dining times and table size are mainly decided on a first come first served basis and the type of fare you have paid. 

For instance, if you book early and paid the select fare, you have a reasonable chance of getting the time you want and table for 2, but still no guarantees. 

The later you leave it, the less chance you have. 

Freedom dining and waiting seems to be many peoples preferred choice, although we prefer larger tables and late sitting now, although we always used to request a table for 2.

Have a great time, 

Andy 

I think that if you go for club (fixed) dining on a table for two and are unsuccessful, contacting maitre'd on the first day requesting a transfer to freedom dining is a request more likely to be agreed.  The actual number of freedom dining places is going to be more flexible.

Regards John

9 hours ago, john watson said:

I think that if you go for club (fixed) dining on a table for two and are unsuccessful, contacting maitre'd on the first day requesting a transfer to freedom dining is a request more likely to be agreed.  The actual number of freedom dining places is going to be more flexible.

Regards John

More and more people are posting that if you want freedom dining people are unlucky in trying to change on board . I agree on set dining the tables for 2 tend to go very quickly. maybe more chance on 2nd sitting, than 1st, as 2nd sitting is the least popular. If you want freedom dining change before you go...do not be surprised if they say its all full.  I think you said you are on Brittania so that has 2 freedom to 1 set, so maybe more chance of changing now.

43 minutes ago, the english lady said:

More and more people are posting that if you want freedom dining people are unlucky in trying to change on board . I agree on set dining the tables for 2 tend to go very quickly. maybe more chance on 2nd sitting, than 1st, as 2nd sitting is the least popular. If you want freedom dining change before you go...do not be surprised if they say its all full.  I think you said you are on Brittania so that has 2 freedom to 1 set, so maybe more chance of changing now.

Our last trip on Britannia, they had a 'no change' policy quite strictly enforced. There were quite a few disappointed passengers who assumed it wouldn't be a problem. 

On other ships, it seems a bit of a free for all, but this trip was different. 

Best to decide before you go. 

Andy 

Whilst on board in October, I had already booked 2 future cruises and we tried Freedom for the first time and enjoyed it, so I went to Loyalty desk to ask them to change us over from Club second sitting on the next 2 cruises.  She had to check whether it was available.  Luckily it was, but not if I had waited any longer.  I would ask P&O (or your Travel Agent if you did it that way) to change you over.

Can I jump in to this thread, we are on Iona in June and have been assigned ANytime dining.  That is great for us.  I know that the Iona is new so there is no personal experience, but from other P and O experience can anyone tell me what time might  be the latest we could go into the dining room.  

When we go on NCL we can usually get in anytime before 10 pm.  When we went on Princess to ALaska we missed the Gala night because I got held up in the Spa having a nail fixed (😫).  

Are other dining venues usually open latish??  

I am specifically considering the evenings that we are cruising by Fjords.  Those summer nights will be really light and I can imagine we will want to dawdle on our balcony.  

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

On P&O I think the MDR's are open until 9:30pm, never been in at that time so no experience of whether its normal service or if the waiters try to rush you so they can get  finished.

I've certainly gone in to the MDR around 9. Service is much speedier as the "rush hour" is over, but by 10 the dining room is pretty much deserted.  

• Like 1