Premade sandwiches, no more baggie???

MogeyMan

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The last time we were on HAL I grabbed 3 of those bagged sandwiches and some extra cheese (elsewhere on the buffet) and took it all over to a nearby table.  I was in the process of "disassembling" the 3 sandwiches (in order to make 1 decent sandwich).

This is just one example of what folks are talking about when they refer to wasting of food in the Lido buffet. Unfortunately, there are many other examples as well. 😕

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KroozNut said:

This is just one example of what folks are talking about when they refer to wasting of food in the Lido buffet. Unfortunately, there are many other examples as well. 😕

I agree that disassembling/reassembling does make waste.  This could easily be avoided if HAL had kept their sandwich making station which was eliminated by HAL in order to save money.  The recent post about a sandwich stations coming back on some ships gives me hope that it will soon be on all the ships.  Then, folks can have sandwiches made to their own specifications (more meat please) and not have to deal with soggy rolls/bread that have been sitting for a couple of hours layered with mayonnaise.

Hank

• Like 1

Just off the Volendam on a 30-day cruise.  The sandwich section was the worst we have experienced. There was technically a sandwich making station.  It was rarely manned and had almost no ingredients to choose from.  Most often it was only turkey or ham with very few toppings.  The pre-made sandwiches had some different ingredients,  but were very skimpy except for the large bread, and not consistently made.  For example, my husband and I both got the spicy chicken banh mi sandwich.  Both included a very thin slice of chicken, one soggy almost see through piece of lettuce.  Mine also included one radish slice.  My husband's was missing the radish but had two slices of cucumber.  No sauce or seasonings to speak of.  Options to have an improved sandwich are to combine multiple sandwiches as already suggested or to supplement with additional ingredients from the sandwich worker (if available), the hot line, or Dive.  So much for a quick and easy lunch. The chips generally had to be requested.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I agree that disassembling/reassembling does make waste.  This could easily be avoided if HAL had kept their sandwich making station which was eliminated by HAL in order to save money. 

Trying to rationalize wasting food with excuses really doesn't justify the behavior..

6 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Trying to rationalize wasting food with excuses really doesn't justify the behavior..

Did you ever wonder what HAL does with all those pre-made sandwiches that are never used?  We also have some aversion to mayonnaise that is put on pre-made sandwiches which then sit (sometimes for hours) at room temperature.

Hank

1 minute ago, DaveOKC said:

Maybe they "feed them to the fishes".

LOL that probably violates some environmental regulation somewhere :).  Besides, if you feed mayonnaise that has sat at room temperature to fish and those fish get sick do you think they can sue?  Would they call that a fishy law suit?

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

Did you ever wonder what HAL does with all those pre-made sandwiches that are never used? 

Yes, and they are likely processed and disposed of responsibly IAW current maritime law as is all other leftover food that is not consumed.

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

LOL that probably violates some environmental regulation somewhere :).  Besides, if you feed mayonnaise that has sat at room temperature to fish and those fish get sick do you think they can sue?  Would they call that a fishy law suit?

Hank

I got sick so maybe I should sue!

1 minute ago, KroozNut said:

Yes, and they are likely processed and disposed of responsibly IAW current maritime law as is all other leftover food that is not consumed.

Geez, please save me from HAL cheerleaders.  "Responsibly?"  You want a list of the times that HAL (and other CCL companies) have been fined for illegal dumping and other environmental issues?   Before you try and find some excuse here is a link to just  one case:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2019/09/articles/pollution/alaska-fines-hal-17000-after-westerdam-discharges-22500-gallons-of-grey-water-into-glacier-bay-national-park/

Do not get me wrong, we like HAL and continue to cruise on the line (and many other lines).  However, that does not mean that we meekly except whatever they want to dish out (pun intended)  🙂

Hank

16 hours ago, RuthC said:

What surprises me is how many people (mentioning different ships) have posted they were able to get made to order sandwiches. Other than on last year's World Cruise, I haven't seen that in years! It wasn't available on the Maasdam this summer. 

Could HAL be reintroducing this service slowly? Do I dare hope? 

Mine was Voyage of the Vikings 2019, so I suspect they bought out some special things/stations.  After all, the price for Voyage of the Vikings is high.

I remember doing Alaska in high summer, 30% higher than low season, and they packed in the passengers on our Radiance of the Seas.  Last cruise we took on Radiance.  We had done a B2B, and the final leg, we spent five nights in specialty to get away from the crowds.

On our mostly smooth Trans Atlantic this past fall, Rome to Fort Lauderdale, the  baggies were still in use.

This 14 day cacophony of cough cruise would have seen the unprotected pile of bread and meat festooned with germs more than they were without that protection!!

3 ambulances and a fire truck were waiting dockside when we disembarked. 

Bob the baggie lover

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RuthC said:

What surprises me is how many people (mentioning different ships) have posted they were able to get made to order sandwiches. Other than on last year's World Cruise, I haven't seen that in years! It wasn't available on the Maasdam this summer. 

Could HAL be reintroducing this service slowly? Do I dare hope? 

I’m not sure if HAL is re-introducing it or it has been hidden on some ships.

It was on our Rotterdam and Prinsendam sailings.  But it wasn’t obvious - no sign but next to the pre-made sandwiches.  No panini but they would heat if you wanted.

There was no line on both ships as I think a lot of people missed it 😉 

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I’m not sure if HAL is re-introducing it or it has been hidden on some ships.

It was on our Rotterdam and Prinsendam sailings.  But it wasn’t obvious - no sign but next to the pre-made sandwiches.  No panini but they would heat if you wanted.

There was no line on both ships as I think a lot of people missed it 😉 

On the Zuiderdam, they had it between hot food and pre-made sandwiches.   If you blinked, you missed it.

9 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

On the Zuiderdam, they had it between hot food and pre-made sandwiches.   If you blinked, you missed it.

Good to hear it’s the same on the Zuiderdam - my next ship with a bit of trepidation.  Thank you 😄 

It’s changed a lot since I was on board last time.

Yes, you have to be eagle eyed to find the sandwich station.  It’s not the same as it used to be but I found them quite flexible for me 😄 

NA in October had both pre-made in bags and a sandwich station available. I too never like a pre-made anything sitting out unless I see it rolled out. I also avoid the little appetizer plates in the lido unless I see them being put out. I realize there is supposed to be a timer for everything when things should be pulled but there have been too many times walking by those darling little plates that they indeed look like they have sat too long. Agree if a sandwich is in order for you, grab a carved meat available daily a fresh baked roll, and veggies from the salad bar 🙂     

9 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Currently on the Veendam and the sandwiches are not in bags.  Chips are in a bowl and I hope people are using the tongs to get them.  

The chips on HAL are paper thin.  How do you pick them up with tongs without ending up with a dish full of potato chip crumbs ?   HAL would probably save more money (and that is the real issue) by putting them out in bags, like before.   Plus, where do you put the chips after you have "tonged" them out of the bowl ?   You need a plate to take back to your cabin.    Maybe bring your own plastic baggies and re-use them.

Edited by TAD2005

11 minutes ago, SumoCitrus said:

Sandwiches were out in the open on Koningsdam recently. No baggies. There were tongs but many people grabbed with bare hands. Didn't you hear? Sandwich baggies maim sea turtles... 🐢

I bring my own plastic baggies and also my own plastic straws.  And I reuse them.  So the Turtles don't have to worry.

• Like 1