Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Borkney

Laundry on a River Boat

Recommended Posts

We have rinsed a few things out in the sink. Our cabin had a retractable clothes line in the shower. Both of the river cruises we have taken (Viking and Monarch) offered laundry service for a fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viking showers do have a clothes line in the shower.  Also, pack fabrics that will dry quickly, such as synthetics.  We did combination of sent-out laundry (reasonably priced, we thought) and DIY that worked well for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Borkney said:

We have no laundry. Anybody have any ideas on how to do laundry in your room?

No laundry?  As in no self serve laundry?  Or not even laundry service (for a cost)?

 

We take things that dry quickly, for the most part, and send out shirts & pants about once a week.  I do our underwear in the room and use the line in the shower to hang them.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been a retractable line in the showers of all of the river cruises on which we have sailed. We take travel packets of Sink Suds and have washed a few items. You can purchase these travel packets online - Walmart or Amazon.

Doesn't your cruise ship offer laundry service for a fee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strongly recommend having the ship do your laundry.  You're likely spending $10,000 for a vacation, so spending a couple tens of $ to save precious vacation time and relax completely is worth it.  Only thing I used the "zipline" in my Viking shower for was drying my wet jacket that got rained on.

Edited by philw1776

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We discovered disposable underwear a couple of years ago. (Think paper hospital garments.) Just do a search on Amazon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Strongly recommend having the ship do your laundry.  You're likely spending $10,000 for a vacation, so spending a couple tens of $ to save precious vacation time and relax completely is worth it.  Only thing I used the "zipline" in my Viking shower for was drying my wet jacket that got rained on.

I agree.  That and people that want to iron cloths.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth, we always check on what sort of laundry is available (and at what cost) and consider that before booking an ocean or river cruise. I know that we are paying about $10K for the cruise and air (or more) but some lines have astronomical per-piece prices, and we don’t like that, especially after paying $10K or more. In addition to Scenic including laundry in their better suites (other lines may do this too), some lines offer a laundry package that is more acceptable than per-piece.

 

Regarding onboard self service laundries, we have learned that the facilities are often inadequate and crowded, and not always reliably usable. But they are of course better than nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

 

Regarding onboard self service laundries, we have learned that the facilities are often inadequate and crowded, and not always reliably usable. But they are of course better than nothing.

This has not been my experience on Crystal. They even provided detergent free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uniworld also has self-service laundry, which is quite adequate. In addition, for past guests, they will launder one bag per guest (not per cabin) per week. For suite guests, they will do daily laundry, if needed. 

 

Robin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies. On some  Regent ocean cruises, we have often found the self service laundry too busy to use. We don’t mind using self service laundries if we can use them! And I feel our next river cruise will be on Uniworld, as I understand they are open bar, which is a necessity for us. We have been using Scenic for river cruises, which is also open bar, and like that line, except that their ship’s interiors are too much like school cafeterias for us, considering the cost of the cruise. And we will probably book a suite, so there will be no issue. Also, on the Paul Gauguin, when we last cruised on them, they offered a laundry package for about $16 per day per cabin, which we felt was reasonable. But we don’t consider the per-piece rate charged by some lines o be reasonable. 

 

With luggage charges by airlines (unless you take business first) and the lack of porterage at airports, we consider onboard laundry serve each to be an important factor in selecting a cruise and line. We are “senior citizens” who will just stay home if things like this (which may seem minor to others) become a hassle for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Thanks for the replies. On some  Regent ocean cruises, we have often found the self service laundry too busy to use. We don’t mind using self service laundries if we can use them! And I feel our next river cruise will be on Uniworld, as I understand they are open bar, which is a necessity for us. We have been using Scenic for river cruises, which is also open bar, and like that line, except that their ship’s interiors are too much like school cafeterias for us, considering the cost of the cruise. And we will probably book a suite, so there will be no issue. Also, on the Paul Gauguin, when we last cruised on them, they offered a laundry package for about $16 per day per cabin, which we felt was reasonable. But we don’t consider the per-piece rate charged by some lines o be reasonable. 

 

With luggage charges by airlines (unless you take business first) and the lack of porterage at airports, we consider onboard laundry serve each to be an important factor in selecting a cruise and line. We are “senior citizens” who will just stay home if things like this (which may seem minor to others) become a hassle for us.

 

I can understand your attitude, but remember also the famous words of Julius Caesar:  Veni, Vidi, Visa – "I came, I saw, I put it on my Visa card"...

 

[Or was that the other famous Julius, Groucho Marx?  I get them confused...]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I came, I saw, ,I conquered, and put it on my AmEx platinum. Fine until I got the bill. Setoiusly, I think many cruise lines have come to consider some things (like laundry) to be a profit center and not a service with a reasonable charge. Me, we are cruising far much less than in the past decade. We are far from broke, but didn’t get there by allowing ourselves to get ripped off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emerald doesn’t have a service unless your in a big suite. Us lowly people have to pay per piece. I’m thinking of stringing a clothes line on magnets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if Emerald doesn’t have laundry service at a reasonable charge for you, I would suggest having your TA investigate the matter of laundry on other lines. Find one you like, then email Emerald and tell them why you aren’t booking with them in the future. All we can do is to vote with our wallets!

Edited by Dolebludger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, stringing up a clothesline with magnets shouldn't be necessary---clotheslines in the shower seems to be a staple on river cruises.  Frankly, for us, paying for laundry isn't a deal breaker--other things are way more important.  Way too much angst over laundry  ; )

 

Different strokes for different folks, I guess..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

FYI, stringing up a clothesline with magnets shouldn't be necessary---clotheslines in the shower seems to be a staple on river cruises.  Frankly, for us, paying for laundry isn't a deal breaker--other things are way more important.  Way too much angst over laundry  ; )

 

Different strokes for different folks, I guess..........

I had OBC on my cruise and the first day, sent my pre-cruise items to the laundry to have it done. It didn't seem to be that unreasonable. I probably spent $20 Euros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

FYI, stringing up a clothesline with magnets shouldn't be necessary---clotheslines in the shower seems to be a staple on river cruises.

Yes - as far as I can recall, the retractable clothes lines have been in the showers of all our river cruise ships and our ocean cruise ships.

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Coral said:

I had OBC on my cruise and the first day, sent my pre-cruise items to the laundry to have it done. It didn't seem to be that unreasonable. I probably spent $20 Euros.

 

We did the same thing, and found the charges reasonable.  Nice thing about being in the same room for 7 nights, DW was able to hand wash a few items as well, and they had plenty of time to dry.

 

Our Rhine cruise was our third trip to Europe, and we are gradually learning to pack fewer items of clothing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Our Rhine cruise was our third trip to Europe, and we are gradually learning to pack fewer items of clothing!

I have been to Europe a few times more than you and I still haven't learned that lesson!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Coral said:

This has not been my experience on Crystal. They even provided detergent free.

the washer dryer set is a commercial Miele on Crystal.  They are tanks (i used to work for them here in the USA)

 

Retail is about $7000 a set 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tfred said:

the washer dryer set is a commercial Miele on Crystal.  They are tanks (i used to work for them here in the USA)

 

Retail is about $7000 a set 

Well - that explains a lot! I knew they were nice. Heck, everything on that ship was nice.

Edited by Coral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...