Adventure vs Independence

15 minutes ago, superduper123 said:

Mostly curious about size and layout.

Freedom class ships were "ultra-voyager class" on the drawing board.  They are simply stretched, length-wise.

More room on the Royal Promenade for more shops and stuff.

The cabins are the same; there are just more of them:  One exception:  On the Adventure, which is first generation Voyager class, the balconies are part of the superstructure, and thus more cave-like.  On the Freedom class ships, the balconies are external to the skin of the ship, so they are "airier" and have more light.

There were many more venues when originally built that have been eliminated so that RC can stuff more cabins onto the ships.  (Freedom class)

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, superduper123 said:

I realize they are different classes, but curious how similar (or different) are these two ships?

Very similar anymore, with Adventure having around 500 fewer guests.

Younger children would likely enjoy Indy more because of the large child's pool area called the H2O zone.

• Like 1

Been on both and loved both.

Independence is a bit bigger, but not by a huge amount.

Independence has Sorrentos as a separate restaurant.  Adventure has pizza at Cafe Promenade.

Independence has Sky Pad and Laser Tag.  Adventure does not (not sure what is coming after dry dock).

Independence has Grease. Adventure has standard production shows.

Independence has a separate section for the kids slides.  Adventure has it on the end of the main pool area.

Independence probably felt a bit more crowded.

If I am rating them, I would rate Indy a bit higher, but that's mostly because it has Grease and I liked their other production show Once Upon a Time...but I do love both.  For DH, the Voyager class due to the perfect size is his favorite class so he would probably vote Adventure.

• Like 1

Biggest difference I noticed was lines for late night food when Sorrentos isn't there.  We've done Freedom class and barely ever stood in line, but on Navigator(same class as Adventure) a few years ago the line at night was always 15-20 people deep.

We prefer the Indy, with her  two cruises over the Adventure's Dec 7 cruise as it felt more crowded, also must use the lower decks for the FWD elevators, only the Port side elev for Deck 14. Enjoyed the Ice show on Indy much better. Only two Ice shows scheduled the same day on the 8 day. No reservations for any entertainment. The line for the 8 PM  last show had a horrendous long line an hour before show time and building. People jumping the line from all sides as the doors opened. We enjoyed the Indy's ice show more. BTW we sat in an upper side row with some obstruction from a pole in front.  A lady  arrived and sat down saving a seat a next to us, I noticed she was on a large cell phone and then it clicked as she was talking to the Captain on a ships phone, who then sat next to us. Impressed that no seat was saved in a prime location,or a special seat assigned like Key and Suite. Just my 2 cents.

On 12/26/2019 at 12:20 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Freedom class ships were "ultra-voyager class" on the drawing board.  They are simply stretched, length-wise.

More room on the Royal Promenade for more shops and stuff.

The cabins are the same; there are just more of them:  One exception:  On the Adventure, which is first generation Voyager class, the balconies are part of the superstructure, and thus more cave-like.  On the Freedom class ships, the balconies are external to the skin of the ship, so they are "airier" and have more light.

There were many more venues when originally built that have been eliminated so that RC can stuff more cabins onto the ships.  (Freedom class)

Those 2 differences were my favorite and least favorite things about Adventure.  LOVED the balcony with the metal vs the glass.  Seemed more private and the chair was high enough that I could easily see over it to enjoy the water.  I like the Royal Promenade much better on the Freedom class ships.  It seemed like they were trying to jam too many things in too small of a space on the Adventure.  But I really enjoyed being back on a "smaller" ship and am looking forward to being back on the Jewel November of 2021!