Dr. Seuss Breakfast Price Increase

NightOne

Everyone is talking about the Cheers price increase on short cruises but nothing about the Dr Seuss breakfast price increase from $5 to $6.

Seems like an odd money grab since the menu is essentially just the same old breakfast items with some flair to them.

Thoughts?

I know price cuts/increases are a frequented topic on here, and can get quite heated sometimes. And then there are those who like to attack others for talking about cuts/increases. But as consumers, it's a legitimate topic of discussion. We enjoy the product Carnival has to offer and will continue to cruise with the line until we don't, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be a shill for the company who refuses to point out perceived negatives. A consumer can both enjoy a company's product and hope to see improvements of things that are perceived as negative.

There was a recent thread about Carnival ships often looking a lot more rusty than other ships on other lines. It's disappointing to see Carnival do all these things, such as price increases and major cost cutting measures (like decreasing stewards and MDR wait staff that ends up affecting customer experience) to increase their bottom line, yet seemingly do less & less to maintain the outward appearance of their fleet. Whether it be a lot of rust on the exterior or on balconies and such, or a worn out, unsightly appearance in interior common areas, a ship's appearance plays a major part of someone's impression of the entire line. I'm all for a for-profit company doing things to turn a profit, but when they start caring more about increasing profits and less about quality and how their customers experience their product, it becomes a problem.

• Like 4

On 12/26/2019 at 1:47 PM, NightOne said:

Everyone is talking about the Cheers price increase on short cruises but nothing about the Dr Seuss breakfast price increase from $5 to $6.

Seems like an odd money grab since the menu is essentially just the same old breakfast items with some flair to them.

Thoughts?

It is a $1 increase? Why does this even deserve a thread? lol

• Like 2

Like I said before, there's always people who will go after anyone who brings up cutbacks or price increases. Like it or not, it's still a legitimate topic to discuss. Those same people aren't so quick with their condescending remarks when a cutback or price increase affects something they enjoy.

"It's only a dollar!" Well, is that a dollar per person? On average, how many attend the Seuss breakfast on any given cruise? Those dollars add up quickly. When we see them cutting costs and increasing prices of things, but slacking off with their efforts to better the customer experience, discussion has to start somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

Like I said before, there's always people who will go after anyone who brings up cutbacks or price increases. Like it or not, it's still a legitimate topic to discuss. Those same people aren't so quick with their condescending remarks when a cutback or price increase affects something they enjoy.

"It's only a dollar!" Well, is that a dollar per person? On average, how many attend the Seuss breakfast on any given cruise? Those dollars add up quickly. When we see them cutting costs and increasing prices of things, but slacking off with their efforts to better the customer experience, discussion has to start somewhere.

You are reading far too much into what I said, No condescending tone from me, Just amusement. 

Thoughts were asked for.

There is no money grab.  A product or a service is offered for a price, and people then choose whether to pay it.  

None of the cruise lines we chat about here are charities for middle class vacationers.  There are a lot of choices and a decent variety in products and emphasis that cater to different tastes and desires.  

19 hours ago, Sean_B said:

Until people stop cruising with them because of the price increases/service decline...

20 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

When we see them cutting costs and increasing prices of things...

Well… I've read many folks make blanket statements about Carnival providing less for more, so, I think it’s time to do the math ( I like doing the math ).

My first cruise was on the Carnival Jubilee in 1987. 

Inflation since 1987 is factor of 3.24 ( factors provided by Soc Sec Admin ).   

I was looking back at my old 1987 Jubilee cruise documents.  This was a 7-Day Eastern Caribbean cruise, inside cabin.  Much smaller ship – about 1,200 pax max.  Not nearly as much to do and see, it being a smaller ship.  Not as many bars, eating venues, shops, and other entertainment options.  We did, however, shoot skeet off the back of the ship 😀  and drive golf balls into the ocean off the back.  😲 

Get-Away Cruise cost:    $2,190, which included Round-trip Air.  

Value of air is listed as $339 each person, so the cruise price must have been $1,512 total, or $216 per day for the both of us.  It also listed Suggested Gratuities.

Suggested Gratuities:   $6.25 per person, per day

Cabin Steward    $2.50 per person, per day
                   Waiter        $2.50 per person, per day
                  Busboy       $1.25 per person, per day

The Math:

That same cruise today, if adjusted for inflation would be $1,512 x 3.24 = $4,899 ($700 pp, per day) for the cruise and $339 x 3.24 = $2,197 for the air fare.

Suggested Gratuities would be:   $6.25 x 3.24 = $20.25 per person, per day.

Mathematical comparisons between 1987 and 2020:

1987:   $216 per day for our inside cabin; 

$6.25 per person, per day, for Gratuities.  

2020:   $223 per day for our Cat 8E balcony cabin, 16 day roundtrip cruise to Hawaii.

$13.99 per person, per day, for Gratuities

We can see that the price of a cruise costs less now than in 1987.  Today’s price is 68% less (1/3rd of the price we paid) in 1987 ($223 / $700 = 32%), everything being equal.

Same with Gratuities.  Today, you are only paying 69% of what we paid in 1987 ($13.99 / $20.25 = 69%).

Seems to me that Carnival has actually provided more for less. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Well… I've read many folks make blanket statements about Carnival providing less for more, so, I think it’s time to do the math ( I like doing the math ).

Seems to me that Carnival has actually provided more for less.

When they make drastic cuts to stewards & MDR wait staff, which noticeably affects the quality of the service, I don't think to myself, "That's ok, because it's cheaper now than it was 30+ year ago." I'm willing to bet I'm not alone. When someone who enjoys taking 3 & 4 day cruises, and likes to purchase Cheers on those cruises, I doubt they appreciate the price hike just because it's technically cheaper now than in 1987. When we see Carnival do all these things to increase profits, yet seemingly care less & less about the appearance of their fleet or the quality of their product, I'm not thinking about how much cheaper it is to cruise compared to decades ago. I'm thinking about a product that I see slipping in the last few years. The question is, how far will people let quality slip before it begins to show in Carnival's bottom line?

11 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

OK... I get it.  Improvements over the last 30 years for less money does not matter.  Only a product that is seen slipping in the last few years matters.  Noted.

While I appreciate you taking the time to state your case, I question the validity of your numbers, especially your 'inflation factor' of 3.24.

Inflation rate in 1987 was 3.65%. The current inflation rate is 2.05%. ie, your numbers are flawed. No disrespect. Take a cursory read:

"U.S. Inflation Rate, $100 in 1987 to 2020

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index, today's prices in 2020 are 126.42% higher than average prices since 1987. The U.S. dollar experienced an average inflation rate of 2.51% per year during this period, meaning the real value of a dollar decreased.

In other words, $100 in 1987 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $226.42 in 2020, a difference of $126.42 over 33 years.

The 1987 inflation rate was 3.65%. The current inflation rate (2019 to 2020) is now 2.05%1. If this number holds, $100 today will be equivalent in buying power to $102.05 next year. The current inflation rate page gives more detail on the latest official inflation rates."

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1987

12 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

Have I told any of you how much I hate math???

(LOL- just lightening the mood a bit!)

I agree! This forum is supposed to be about folks going on or returning from their cruise, and the wonderful experiences they will have/had. Not to discuss mundane economic topics, that  most people find....borrrrringgggg.  :classic_laugh: