Oosterdam's 2019-2020 New Year's cruise; a photo log and a recap after the fact

Copper10-8

9 hours ago, oakridger said:

Thanks Copper, I'll be waiting anxiously to hear about our towel animal friends.  I get it about the plastic straws and even about the sugar packs, but......those little tiny paper eyes??  They must be very easy to incinerate with the other paper trash!

~Nancy

So, as you already guessed, the response onboard is that the plastic eyes of the towel animals, along with the (three different) packets of sugar substitutes, and other paper materials, are part of "environmental friendly" measures instituted by the line. As a matter of fact, I learned that, effective tomorrow/New Year's Day, the daily news letter, now named the USA Times, will be discontinued as part of that same policy (it will still be available on line).

It remains to be seen how this will effect the still voluminous amounts of invitations, dinner reminders, and sales pitches delivered to our mailbox

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

I learned that, effective tomorrow/New Year's Day, the daily news letter, now named the USA Times, will be discontinued as part of that same policy (it will still be available on line).

I like to take the paper version of the newspaper onto the deck or verandah to read. Hard (nearly impossible) to read on my laptop when on the verandah and I certainly don't want to carry the laptop all the way to and from a deck. Some of us don't have/need smartphones.

Edited by Cruise Suzy

Loved the food pictures, especially the fish bones. Was it a scarecrow or a cat? Cabo looked jammed. Were you able to get off the ship and mosey around? 

I agree with Cruise Suzy, how the heck are we going to read our dailies?? Well, all in the E.F. regime, along with those dastardly straws...

11 minutes ago, Himself said:

John: Thank you for reporting from your latest cruise.  I hope you and your wife have a wonderful cruise an a Happy New Year!

Thanks Father and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you also; stay warm up there in the Windy City!

Cabo was a busy place on Monday, as you can imagine with four cruise ships, one with 4,000 pax onboard, in port, so we decided to walk the perimeter of the marina and look for a place to have a bit of lunch. Found Karlito's, with a "K," Cantina for some cold Margaritas, chips with Guac, some chicken enchiladas and believe it or not, a look at an NHL hockey game (Florida Panthers vs Montreal Habs), imagine that 1f609.png

Image may contain: one or more people

Image may contain: drink, table and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, drink and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports and basketball court

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Cabo was a busy place on Monday, as you can imagine with four cruise ships, one with 4,000 pax onboard, in port, so we decided to walk the perimeter of the marina and look for a place to have a bit of lunch. Found Karlito's, with a "K," Cantina for some cold Margaritas, chips with Guac, some chicken enchiladas and believe it or not, a look at an NHL hockey game (Florida Panthers vs Montreal Habs), imagine that 1f609.png

Image may contain: one or more people

Image may contain: drink, table and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, drink and indoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports and basketball court

That’s where we had lunch and met my friend who was on the NCL ship.  From your view it looks like same table, lol!  Did they sing while you were there?

74E8D741-5E45-48D0-A378-6879FC598F5E.jpeg

Edited by canadianbear
Add photo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

That’s where we had lunch and met my friend who was on the NCL ship.  From your view it looks like same table, lol!  Did they sing while you were there?

74E8D741-5E45-48D0-A378-6879FC598F5E.jpeg

Cops minds think alike 😉 and if I would have sung, the few windows in Karlito's cantina would not have survived! Cool place, eh?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, canadianbear said:

It was a fun place.  Nice view too.  

Looks like a place we would love. I am only allowed to sing in the shower. My sweet husband says I sound like an injured moose.

By the way Canadianbear... did you notice creepy monkey on the Christmas tree in Coppers last picture??

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Looks like a place we would love. I am only allowed to sing in the shower. My sweet husband says I sound like an injured moose.

By the way Canadianbear... did you notice creepy monkey on the Christmas tree in Coppers last picture??

I only sing in my car when alone!!   I did not notice the creepy monkey until you mentioned it and I blew up the photo 😳. Honestly  do not like those.

• Like 1

Just now, canadianbear said:

I only sing in my car when alone!!   I did not notice the creepy monkey until you mentioned it and I blew up the photo 😳. Honestly  do not like those.

Just now, canadianbear said:

My worst nightmares are clowns. My dear father left me his music boxes.. Those clowns are creepy.

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My worst nightmares are clowns. My dear father left me his music boxes.. Those clowns are creepy.

Oh geesh-I think you & I must be related-I’m terrified of clowns.  

The towel monkey is usually the only one I don’t take a photo of.  A few years back on our Panama cruise the steward left our animals in our room all cruise so I took a panorama of my friends (and monkey included). You’ll have to blow it up a bit to see.  

2972D1AC-EC2C-4772-9C51-6077C92AE53E.jpeg(Sorry Copper to go off track!)

Edited by canadianbear
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Oh geesh-I think you & I must be related-I’m terrified of clowns.  

The towel monkey is usually the only one I don’t take a photo of.  A few years back on our Panama cruise the steward left our animals in our room all cruise so I took a panorama of my friends (and monkey included). You’ll have to blow it up a bit to see.  

2972D1AC-EC2C-4772-9C51-6077C92AE53E.jpeg(Sorry Copper to go off track!)

Yes, sorry Copper, but I have to tell you I went to my first towel folding class and the guy made the monkey. That's when we got the goo goo eyes. The lady next to me said my monkey looked like a hanging corpse. So now I dislike those creepy monkeys.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Kia ora and Happy New Year to you and the Mrs, Phil! You both will be there before we will

Happy New year to you both, on this first day of 2020.

Today we are experiencing smoke from the Australian fires.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

That monkey is Oosterdam's bridge mascot and he's really not that creepy looking, the closer you get to him 😉 

IMG_0983.JPG

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Happy New year to you both, on this first day of 2020.

Today we are experiencing smoke from the Australian fires.

That Aussie wildfire smoke made it across the Tasman Sea to New Zealand?? Take care Phil!

Tuesday, 31 December 2019, last day of the old decade, Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Mexico. Oosterdam picked up the Mazatlan pilot at around 0600 hrs. and then proceeded up the Canal de Navegacion into the harbor. Captain Rens then performed a tight 180 degree turn and sailed in direction we came from, going starboard side alongside in the No. 1 position. We would be in the “home of the deer” until approx. 5:00 pm.

You can always see "interesting" and what could be considered "museum-type" ships still active in Mexico's Navy. Seen in Mazatlan (Zona Naval Quatro - 4th Naval Zone) was ARM Cora ARE-04. She is the former U.S. Navy fleet ocean tug USS Hitchiti (ATF-103), laid down on 24 August 1943, at Charleston Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Charleston, S.C. and commissioned on 27 May 1944. She was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater and participated in several World War II, and later, Korean and Vietnam-War campaigns. After being decommissioned, she was transferred under the Security Assistance Program to Mexico, on 1 September 1976

81625890_10157686399570729_6926154696360984576_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=XS1ogoYoYV8AQlVCJBtFPPjQChZkAA4CUt3eNGFMF3PFq4qlmLuAnqfFw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=ae794bd1fb7af8b8ffe29578395f4dca&oe=5EA755BF

22 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Forgot last night's towel animal, the piglet, without eyes 😉

Image may contain: indoor

Creepy.  But only because it reminds me of one of the scenes in Orange is the New Black.  *shudder*

Have a wonderful New Year!!  Looking forward to the pics and the stories.

• Thanks 1