Oosterdam's 2019-2020 New Year's cruise; a photo log and a recap after the fact

Copper10-8

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

There's another Soviet 'Foxtrot' sub, B-427, in Long Beach, CA off the bow of the Queen Mary however, she is no longer open to the public (2015) since she encountered some flooding, parts of her pressure hull ruptured, she began to list, and a family of raccoons decided to move in 😉

NEWS_170329590_AR_0_XOIWIEXGMWVJ.jpg?w=620

I'm staying on Queen Mary before boarding the Crystal Serenity in late January.  I'll need to be on the lookout for it.

Roy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm staying on Queen Mary before boarding the Crystal Serenity in late January.  I'll need to be on the lookout for it.

Roy

B-427 is still there although there are plans to sell her; can't miss her 😉 If you need a ride from the airport to the QM, send me an email

8 hours ago, gknep said:

I believe that the America's Test Kitchen is no longer a featured activity. Are there any cooking demonstrations in the BB King space during the day anymore?

I also heard ATK is on the way out/contract expired/not renewed. There was a presentation "Mexican cooking, port to table (EXC)" on Sunday (1st sea day) by the Mexican Ambassador in the BB Kings Lounge at 11:00 AM but don't believe it involved "hands-on" a la ATK

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I also heard ATK is on the way out/contract expired/not renewed. There was a presentation "Mexican cooking, port to table (EXC)" on Sunday (1st sea day) by the Mexican Ambassador in the BB Kings Lounge at 11:00 AM but don't believe it involved "hands-on" a la ATK

High John, somebody on the board mentioned that the rumor was that "Night at the Librije" was also on its way out. Although on our March cruise it is still bookable, have you heard any rumors?

2 hours ago, Alphen said:

High John, somebody on the board mentioned that the rumor was that "Night at the Librije" was also on its way out. Although on our March cruise it is still bookable, have you heard any rumors?

Will attempt to find out for you this morning Jeroen 

On 12/30/2019 at 9:43 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Copper, do you know who the maitre d is in the Pinnacle?

On 12/30/2019 at 9:51 PM, Copper10-8 said:

He's a young gentleman from Romania, I believe by the name of Koray Pamukcu. His PG crew love him!

So correction on that; Oostie's PG manager (official name: Assistant Maitre 'd Specialty Restaurant) is Paul Mandache, still from Romania

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

So correction on that; Oostie's PG manager (official name: Assistant Maitre 'd Specialty Restaurant) is Paul Mandache, still from Romania

Paul is who we had.  Nice young man still learning the ropes.

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

Paul is who we had.  Nice young man still learning the ropes.

Yes on all that, been here for four months, came from Royal Caribbean. His staff; Dwi, Betty, Stephan, Host Mary Rose, to name the ones we've been in contact with most, are all excellent

Thursday evening 7:00 PM dinner at Oosterdam's Italian restaurant, Canaletto;tonight was veal night for us; Veal and Sage Polpet Tine (small plate) and Veal Saltimbocca alla Romano (large plate/Thursday special) with the trio of Malaga, Pistachio and Bacio Gelato to finish up, all with a good glass of vino

82354507_10157694357435729_4156414739112525824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ohc=76pNg5zp0GQAQk_dqOvJM-8DYLmTsO9X17sptU2_EbojClsK-n4ZG9eIw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=919f4e68e56e334b023dddc2016c692e&oe=5E9A788F

Image may contain: food and indoor

Image may contain: food

Image may contain: drink, dessert, food and indoor

• Like 2

As usual, finished out the night with the B.B. Kings All-Star band; that girl vocalist has some lungs on her, plus her male partner, Jermaine (I believe) is outstanding also. The six musicians are awesome in their own right

Image may contain: one or more people, people on stage, people playing musical instruments and indoor

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage and night

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage and indoor

Image may contain: 2 people, people on stage, people playing musical instruments, night and indoor

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage, playing a musical instrument, night and indoor

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage, night, concert and indoor

Image may contain: 1 person

No photo description available.

Lincoln Center Stage, Oosterdam's Explorations Lounge with the always impressive Dutch historical maritime mural, plus a directional device for those who have lost their way temporarily 😉 

Image may contain: indoor

No photo description available.

Image may contain: living room and indoor

Image may contain: people sitting, living room, table and indoor

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2

OP or others,

We are on our 2nd HAL cruise on this ship on Jan 11.  First one was on NA earlier this year.  We tried different venues and were unable to find a good cup of coffee.  Nothing fancy or flavored - just a good cup of coffee.  Ideas are welcome.

Thanks.