south pacific cruises with no children

V.aurisch

Hi

I know it may be a long shot but I am wondering if anyone knows of a cruise in December that sails in the south pacific region that does not have children. Happy to sail from any port in Australia, NZ or pacific

Looking for a cruise for Christmas 2020

Many thanks

V

As far as I know the only cruise line that has adults only ships is P&O UK and they rarely cruise in the South Pacific.

Princess offers the next best thing on most ships (except Majestic Princess or Pacific Princess) - the Sanctuary - a cost extra adults-only retreat area which, on the larger ships is above or adjacent to an adults-only pool. If you choose to dine later in the evening you will rarely see any kids around the ship. We recently did an 8 night South Pacific cruise on Ruby Princess where there were around 400 kids on board. We only saw kids on three occasions and only about 10 kids in total. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Your best bet might be the more upmarket cruise lines where there is likely to be few children.   The mainstream lines that sail out of Australia to the South Pacific - Carnival, Royal Caribbean, P and O Australia, Norwegian, HAL, Celebrity and Princess will definitely have children.   Schools finish for the summer break from early to mid December so the first week or two should have less children than later in the month.

The Pacific Princess sails the South Pacific at times (we are on it for a 10 day R/T Tahiti cruise next October).  It is a small (670 passengers) ship with no kids club.  So although kids are allowed there will be very few, if any, on its cruises.

The answer would depend on where in the South Pacific you want to visit.  If it is simply the Society Islands (Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc) you do have two pretty good options which include the Paul Gaughin and some Windstar cruises.  Neither of those lines attracts a lot of children.  But in most cases you would need to fly to Tahiti for embarkation (always true on the Paul Gaughin).  If you want to visit other islands in the South Pacific and do it in December, then you have few options.  The Pacific Princess does a cruise from Tahiti to Sydney but we are not overly impressed with the ports.  If you do a back to back on that same ship (departs Tahiti on Nov 24) which gets you a 26 day cruise, the itinerary is somewhat improved.  We would expect very few older children/teens on that cruise.

We think some of the best South Pacific cruises are a few repositioning cruises that move ships between North America and Australia but you are not going to find any of these in December.  One of our favorite itineraries was a 28 Oosterdam voyage (Seattle to Sydney) in Sept 2014.  They repeat a similar itinerary in Sept 2020.which has  been cut back to only 26 days. I think it is the most interesting South Pacific itinerary of all the cruises since it gets to both Fiji and New Caledonia.  Unfortunately they have removed Vanuatu from that itinerary which was one of our favorite South Pacific Islands.  There will be very few children on the Oosterdam :).

Hank

I know this is a cruise site, but there are many adult only hotels in Polynesia the OP might enjoy instead.  They can stay in an overwater bungalow and have a sophisticated adult vacation split between the 3 most common isles in Tahiti - Tahiti, Moorea, and Bora Bora.  We've done this twice for 10 days and 2 weeks, and it'was a more relaxing yet immersive experience than what a cruise might offer, even with an overnight stay.  A good TA can design a package tailored to the OP's wants and preferences.

The South Pacific is a vast area, and I'm only suggesting one little area for consideration.  December is a great time to visit being summer.

The longer the cruise, the less likely there will be children on board. There is never a guarantee. We just completed 51-day Tales of the South Pacific on Holland America. There were 2 children under 5. and 2 teenagers who were sailing with an officer dad.

1275 passengers and 4 children. And one service dog, very cute.

Jim

There are very few long cruises out of Australia over the Christmas period, unless one of the world cruises is passing through at that time and offering sectors.

Our cruise season is in full swing then with most lines doing NZ cruises with the Queensland Coast or South Pacific thrown in for variety.

8 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Windstar and Paul Gauguin spring immediately to mind if you are wanting the Society Islands in particular.  Children aren't prohibited on Windstar, but there are no provisions made for them.

I was going to suggest PG as well but then there still may be some children on board.

20 hours ago, V.aurisch said:

Hi

I know it may be a long shot but I am wondering if anyone knows of a cruise in December that sails in the south pacific region that does not have children. Happy to sail from any port in Australia, NZ or pacific

Looking for a cruise for Christmas 2020

Many thanks

V

As far as I know, most of the islands in the pacific region have children, it will be very difficult to cruise to one that doesn't.😋

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Windstar and Paul Gauguin spring immediately to mind if you are wanting the Society Islands in particular.  Children aren't prohibited on Windstar, but there are no provisions made for them.

Windstar won't accept children under six, and it's very rare to see a child on their ships.  As mentioned, they provide absolutely no services or provisions for them.

When we sailed on the Paul Gauguin, there were a number of children, and more than a few were not well minded and poorly behaved including a couple who were around three and five.  PG takes anyone starting at 12 months.  PG has a children's program during holiday and school break periods.