Changes

AndyMichelle

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Never heard of tins of water?  Are they free or the usual if you drink them, then you are charged, except last time, there were 2 bottles of water and we weren't charged.

First 2 were complimentary, although one was fizzy, any others are chargeable. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yes, but no longer from the cabin steward, he/she can only supply cans. 

Andy 

Sorry am confused dot com ..

We used to buy the pack of 6 bottles.

So all we can now buy is individual cans? How much do they hold?

We tend to sail mid August so we drink LOADS of water.

(Am all in favour of cutting down on plastic before anyone flames me)

PS We had cans on Celebrity in August and it was a right pain --- we had a Classic Drinks Package and were limited to how many we could ask for. We did make a comment on our feedback and had a phone call to ask us for our views but it really did not work as the queues at bars for small cans of water were very long mid August and staff were spinning on the spot to try to keep up with people asking for water as well as those asking for drinks. I hope that P&O don't follow this example as it didn't work. Having a station specifically for water would … I think

15 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Sorry am confused dot com ..

We used to buy the pack of 6 bottles.

So all we can now buy is individual cans? How much do they hold?

We tend to sail mid August so we drink LOADS of water.

(Am all in favour of cutting down on plastic before anyone flames me)

Could buy a pack of 6 cans from the steward, but apparently it was the same price as the bottles used to be??? 

The cans are like a beer can, not sure of how much that is?

Small and large plastic bottles are still available from the bar but not the shop surprisingly... 

So many people were buying 1 small bottle and filling it from the dispenser in the buffet, despite the signs and unchallenged by staff!! 

Andy 

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Could buy a pack of 6 cans from the steward, but apparently it was the same price as the bottles used to be??? 

Small and large plastic bottles are still available from the bar but not the shop surprisingly... 

So many people were buying 1 small bottle and filling it from the dispenser in the buffet, despite the signs and unchallenged by staff!! 

Andy 

On EDGE we used to get as many cans as we could and then fill up our plastic bottle to put in our plastic bottle to take out on excursions / a day off the ship. We just got the bottles off the ship. It was a pain though and didn't work well on Celebrity.

I sometimes think that people who introduce these things just do not think them through or have no idea how cruisers work.

I am more than happy to support 'the cause' but small cans (as on Celebrity) were a complete waste of time when it was high season in Greece in August and you were baking hot

Oh well, will have to see how it works for us

18 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

On EDGE we used to get as many cans as we could and then fill up our plastic bottle to put in our plastic bottle to take out on excursions / a day off the ship. We just got the bottles off the ship. It was a pain though and didn't work well on Celebrity.

I sometimes think that people who introduce these things just do not think them through or have no idea how cruisers work.

I am more than happy to support 'the cause' but small cans (as on Celebrity) were a complete waste of time when it was high season in Greece in August and you were baking hot

Oh well, will have to see how it works for us

The problem with the cans was once opened, you cannot reseal them. 

Hopefully they 'can' come up with a better solution. 

Andy 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

I would assume that, rather like the majority of water dispensers that you will find in the uk, the buffet water dispenser has a mains feed.  Consequently people are queuing up to fill up their bottle with the same liquid that comes out of the tap in their room.  The risk of spreading infection comes from carrying a bottle around with you all day, touching all kinds of things and then touching the water controls immediately after touching the possibly contaminated bottle thus spreading the contamination on to the next users hands.

There are many signs requesting people not to do it, however they do seem to go unheeded.  And all to top up a bottle with tap water that is available in your room.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

I would assume that, rather like the majority of water dispensers that you will find in the uk, the buffet water dispenser has a mains feed.  Consequently people are queuing up to fill up their bottle with the same liquid that comes out of the tap in their room.  The risk of spreading infection comes from carrying a bottle around with you all day, touching all kinds of things and then touching the water controls immediately after touching the possibly contaminated bottle thus spreading the contamination on to the next users hands.

There are many signs requesting people not to do it, however they do seem to go unheeded.  And all to top up a bottle with tap water that is available in your room.

Fortunately we have always filled our own plastic bottles from the cabin tap, then left them overnight in the fridge, ready to take ashore with us the following day.

So these new changes won't inconvenience us at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crompton21 said:

Yes, using water dispensers to fill up your water bottle strikes me as bizarre as well. It's like playing Norovirus roulette.

And don't start me off on people who use single use plastic bottles!  Surely by now it's not too much to ask that people use their own non-disposable water flask. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crompton21 said:

Does anybody actually drink the tap water on offer in the cabins?  It’s rarely even cool, let alone cold!

9 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Does anybody actually drink the tap water on offer in the cabins?  It’s rarely even cool, let alone cold!

Yes, we do. After all, it's exactly the same water as everywhere else in the ship. We decant the water into our reusable bottles and put them in the fridge to cool.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, we do. After all, it's exactly the same water as everywhere else in the ship. We decant the water into our reusable bottles and put them in the fridge to cool.

That is what we have done in the past over many cruises with no adverse problems.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, using water dispensers to fill up your water bottle strikes me as bizarre as well. It's like playing Norovirus roulette.

And don't start me off on people who use single use plastic bottles!  Surely by now it's not too much to ask that people use their own non-disposable water flask. 

The surprise to me was that people were queuing to fill their water bottles at the dispensers, despite clear signage, and the crew never asked them to stop. 

An attitude seemed to have been formed by some that they were doing it in some sort of bizarre protest??

Andy 

39 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We take our stainless steel water bottles.  We boil the kettle, let it cool and fill up our bottles .   Tastes absolutely fine.

Not really sure why you would boil water that has already been processed,  but I'm glad that you are using your own bottles. 

We were probably the same cruise, 12 days canaries etc

We had similar experiences in the restaurant

TBH that's what we have always received on P&O.

That's one reason we use them again and again. 

Other posts talk about reductions in details

We have also noticed these. Nothing that really bothers us yet but personally we would not miss the menus and Captains log hand outs at the end. 

Let's hope they don't take the cost cutting too far. 

We want the formal nights, club dining, ballroom dancing and good entertainment. 😊

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

6 no 2 L bottles of water, via cabin steward £10.50.

Fill in the form and hang it outside your door.

Arcadia, in September and December

Or save £10.50 and drink the water from your tap which is just as pure as the water in your PLASTIC bottles.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

We will buy the bottles from the bar, Andy says that are no longer available from the cabin steward (although I'm sure the Butler would oblige) then stock up in resort if needed.

9 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

At New Year on Ventura, there was no form so we asked our cabin steward. He said he could only supply cans now, if we wanted bottles we had to buy them from the bar. 

Andy