MSC Customer Service Complaint

BuckeyeTraveler

I have just recently booked a cruise on MSC, first time cruising this this line. I registered on their website but when I went back on line, I did  not see my booking number nor my Voyagers Club Number.  I have called MSC three times, each time the wait time to speak with someone was at least 40 minutes, and then, after explaining my problem and being on the phone with the representative for another 20 to 25 minutes, they told me they could not figure out the solution but that they would email their Supervisor and their IT department and someone would be back in touch with me shortly.  This has been going on since Dec 24, 2019.  There still is no resolution.  Does anyone know of a phone number, other than their main number, for customer support?  Any suggestions as to how to get a Supervisor to contact me?  If their onboard service is anything like their shoreside customer service, I am surprised that they are still in business. I would go ahead and cancel this reservation except the cruise is in a couple of weeks and I have already paid for the cruise.  MSC was quick enough in taking my money - just worthless in providing customer support. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I am not surprised at all. I was allowed to board the ship in Barcelona towards Argentina. I presented my passports and my Argentinian ID. A letter from the Brazilian consulate in Miami told me I did not need a visa to enter Brazil with that document. In Morocco they threw me and my wife off the ship for "no Brazil Visa". We traveled to Rabat: the Consul there told me I did NOT need a visa with my Argentine ID. Pleaded with him and he gave me a visa in my US Passport. Flew to Tenerife to re board. MSC never answered for their blunder. They allowed us to board in Spain, and refused us to continue from Morocco on, un necessarily. The Captain herd my complain...he offered me a cup of coffee,,,Incredible! Avoid MSC, cancel if you can (though doubt they will return your money).

I have the same issue since November when I registered for the MSC Voyagers Club. I have called twice and both times they told me they would fix it since when I login to my profile it is not there. At this point I have kind of given up on MSC after the last cruise anyhow and probably will not take another cruise with them. They really have no customer service unfortunately.

It is obvious, with the responses I have received, that Customer Service is non-existent with MSC.  I must say, though, that I went onto MSC's Facebook page and sent a private message, and I received a response IMMEDIATELY.  Also, after trying to get this problem resolved since Dec 24th, I finally received an email, yesterday, that there has been a resolution.  Unfortunately, the damage has already been done and, unless something miraculously happens on my cruise, this will be my one and only cruise with MSC.

ok 

1) Have you registered to create an online profile?

2) have you registered to create a VC profile/get a #? 

3) did you put in your confirmed (paid) booking number into the system and LINKED it to your profile?

IF you have not linked your confrimed booking (using the booking number) to your profile--it will NOT show 

YOU must LINK them

If you have multiple sailings you can link each one

• Like 2

It sounds like you have the missing booking syndrome which has been around for over a year.

Typically if it doesn't show up under login, use the other option of booking number and name.

Not making excuses for not fixing the problem and second time for us.

5 hours ago, BuckeyeTraveler said:

It is obvious, with the responses I have received, that Customer Service is non-existent with MSC.  I must say, though, that I went onto MSC's Facebook page and sent a private message, and I received a response IMMEDIATELY.  Also, after trying to get this problem resolved since Dec 24th, I finally received an email, yesterday, that there has been a resolution.  Unfortunately, the damage has already been done and, unless something miraculously happens on my cruise, this will be my one and only cruise with MSC.

I know trying to resolve something for 11 days seems like forever, but try to remember that there have been 2 major holidays & a weekend in there, so it may take a little longer.

Not saying it should be ok to not respond, but just have a little patience.

5 hours ago, BuckeyeTraveler said:

The same happened to me. At first, and after they illegally left me in the middle of the night in Morocco for a non existent visa issue, someone in Italy (called from the ship by me", told me "the way we do things is after the cruise". I never got a way to communicate with them. The Florida office states that any complains should be done...in Italy ! Incredible ! May be Americans should avoid this line altogether.

3 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

4 out of 4 posts. . .

If the story is true about the visa (and this isn't the first time I've read something similar),  doesn't licesta have a responsibility to share the info about such ridiculously poor service on each and every post that is pertinent? That was a pretty big blunder on MSC's part. Those considering MSC have a right to read all experiences and then toss out those that they deem as irrelevant.

Just throwing out another perspective. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 5:44 PM, liceista said:

I am not surprised at all. I was allowed to board the ship in Barcelona towards Argentina. I presented my passports and my Argentinian ID. A letter from the Brazilian consulate in Miami told me I did not need a visa to enter Brazil with that document. In Morocco they threw me and my wife off the ship for "no Brazil Visa". We traveled to Rabat: the Consul there told me I did NOT need a visa with my Argentine ID. Pleaded with him and he gave me a visa in my US Passport. Flew to Tenerife to re board. MSC never answered for their blunder. They allowed us to board in Spain, and refused us to continue from Morocco on, un necessarily. The Captain herd my complain...he offered me a cup of coffee,,,Incredible! Avoid MSC, cancel if you can (though doubt they will return your money).

That is a very serious customer complaint. Can you share any more details? When did you know they were 'throwing you off"? How much did it cost to obtain a plane ticket to the new port? What was MSC's reply? Do you have anything in writing? What are your next steps?

I cruised on MSC Seaside about 3 months after their launch. We were excited to try a new cruise line after multiple cruises on NCL,Disney,,RCCL, and Celebrity. What a disappointment! We had no problem with CS before the the cruise but on the the cruise CS was a disaster! Also the quality of food and service was well below of what we experienced on other cruise lines. When posting on this site the cheerleaders for MSC basically insinuanted that you were lying and tried to suggest it was my fault. They suggest to ignore the negative comments and go and experience for yourself. Do they think people make up these stories? They claim things are improving but still the complaints keep coming. If you check on my past posts you will find the problems I had on my cruise. Like I have stated before why would anyone pay money for something you do not know what you are getting. Their excuse is it is the European style of cruising. I have done a fair share of travel in Europe and have never had such terrible food, been lied to, called a liar,and more aggravated with   

with the whole experience. Evidently some think the lower cost justifies the aggravation! As far as I am concerned the ship should display a pirates flag! Of course I know some friends who think MSC is great but as you can see the negative responses keep coming. So my suggestion is buyer beware. Good Luck!

• Like 1

I been 2 cruises with MSC and am currently booked for a third. The customer service has been awful before, during, and after each cruise. But two things...one, for the price I paid and value I received it was a trade off and I'm good with that. Most other aspects were very good on MSC. Secondly, we also cruised on RCCL and the customer service was just as bad. Buckeye, if you have any more trouble then I'd be glad to help out if I can. O-H 

We are Elite and Diamond  on. RCCL and Cel., and never had a problem with CS. Have been very happy with both and had an unusual situation which arose and Cel. stepped up to to remedy the situation. If you are unhappy with  CS and have to constantly deal with problems and wait in a long line to try and remedy it to no avail it is not my definition of a vacation. The price we paid was not much less than other lines and would rather spend a little more to enjoy a vacation. You get what you pay for!

On 1/4/2020 at 6:51 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

That is a very serious customer complaint. Can you share any more details? When did you know they were 'throwing you off"? How much did it cost to obtain a plane ticket to the new port? What was MSC's reply? Do you have anything in writing? What are your next steps?

Dear BermudaBound2014: I just hope you can help me on this issue. I have a letter from the Brazilian Consul in Miami stating that presenting my Argentinian Document, and as Argentina and Brazil are Mercosur members I did not need a visa on my American Passport. I assumed the "Documents Officer" knew this, and I was allowed along with my wife to board the ship in Barcelona. As we were returning from an excursion in Casablanca, we were called via the ship loudspeaker, and a Staff of the ship was at our cabin door. We went to the front desk and were told we had to disembark there or in Tenerife, as we could not "enter the Brazilian sea limit" unless we had a visa. hence, we took some clothes and disembarked in Casablanca. We went to Rabat next morning, pleaded with the Brazilian officer, got a visa stamped in our American Passport (where he placed our nationalities as "Argentinian", and flew to Tenerife to re board. The Brazilian official that boarded the ship as we arrived to San Salvador told me I did NOT need a visa, because I had my Argentinian ID. He reassured me that "an agreement with the MSC will be done". The Captain offered me a cup of coffee (actually expresso), I talked over the phone with someone in Italy from the ship, who told me "we do not things that way" as I presented my expenses. I consulted with a lawyer in Miami, who mentioned the claim should be presented in Italy, and hence the value did not interested him (about $ 2500). So I am left to "swallow hard", and just get some answer from you, who evidently defend MSC no matter what. I will not post the Consul's letter because it contains our names, but if there is someone in MSC that wants a copy (doubt MSC wishes that), I will be glad to forward it, and perhaps you can give me an address where to send it. I will do it return receipt, to make sure its received. Regards.

• Like 1

In 2008  we did a Princess cruise Rome to Brazil, where some US passengers had a similar experience. They had to disembark in Portugal and get visas and re-board in a later port.

I believe the official line is Visas are the responsibility of passengers and we make sure we have what is needed for ports of call. We don't rely on these boards or the cruise line info as we have seen people denied boarding for not having the correct paperwork for India, also saw a couple who had to leave the RCCl ship in Taiwan as they didn't have the correct visa for China about 10 yrs ago. 

1 hour ago, liceista said:

Dear BermudaBound2014: I just hope you can help me on this issue. I have a letter from the Brazilian Consul in Miami stating that presenting my Argentinian Document, and as Argentina and Brazil are Mercosur members I did not need a visa on my American Passport. I assumed the "Documents Officer" knew this, and I was allowed along with my wife to board the ship in Barcelona. As we were returning from an excursion in Casablanca, we were called via the ship loudspeaker, and a Staff of the ship was at our cabin door. We went to the front desk and were told we had to disembark there or in Tenerife, as we could not "enter the Brazilian sea limit" unless we had a visa. hence, we took some clothes and disembarked in Casablanca. We went to Rabat next morning, pleaded with the Brazilian officer, got a visa stamped in our American Passport (where he placed our nationalities as "Argentinian", and flew to Tenerife to re board. The Brazilian official that boarded the ship as we arrived to San Salvador told me I did NOT need a visa, because I had my Argentinian ID. He reassured me that "an agreement with the MSC will be done". The Captain offered me a cup of coffee (actually expresso), I talked over the phone with someone in Italy from the ship, who told me "we do not things that way" as I presented my expenses. I consulted with a lawyer in Miami, who mentioned the claim should be presented in Italy, and hence the value did not interested him (about $ 2500). So I am left to "swallow hard", and just get some answer from you, who evidently defend MSC no matter what. I will not post the Consul's letter because it contains our names, but if there is someone in MSC that wants a copy (doubt MSC wishes that), I will be glad to forward it, and perhaps you can give me an address where to send it. I will do it return receipt, to make sure its received. Regards.

•  

I was sorry to hear your story. There is an EU small claims procedure where you don't need a lawyer. The fee is approximately €246 + translation costs. If you win your costs are reimbursed.

You need to navigate to the e-justice Web site where you can fill in a form.

The only thing is I am not sure if a non-eu citizen can claim.

And though MSC is known as an Italian company I think they are technically Swiss, so you will have to find out what jurisdiction you have to submit your claim.

also you will have to go through your cruise contract, as though you did have the correct documents with you, there may be a clause that may absolve there agents and that they are not liable for their mistake.

I hope this is useful information.

most countries in Europe has small claims court, which require no lawyers and a small fee. If it is Switzerland where they are based Google there small claims process. The systems are usually simple and straightforward.

Good Luck

• Like 1

I do almost nothing by telephone anymore.  Mostly I do email, but sometimes a typewritten snail mail letter is best.  In this ugly situation,  I'd be sending the letter(s).  If I can get an email of a specific person, I MIGHT also email a copy of my letter.

✓ Write tight. The most effective e-mails and letters are very short — no more than one page, or about 500 words. They include all details necessary to track your reservation, such as reservation confirmation numbers and travel dates.

✓ Mind your manners. A polite, dispassionate, and grammatically correct letter or email is essential. Remember, there’s a real person on the other end of the process reading the email or letter, so something as seemingly insignificant as bad grammar can determine whether your complaint is taken seriously or discarded in the trash.

✓ Cite the rules. Your complaint has the best chance of getting a fair shake if you can convince the company that it didn’t follow its own rules, or broke the law.  Cruise lines have ticket. You probably already have this in your cruise documents, but you can ask the company for a copy or find it on its website.

✓ Tell them what you want, nicely. I’ve already mentioned the importance of a positive attitude. I’ll say it again: Be extra nice. The two most common mistakes that people make with a written grievance are being vague about the compensation they expect, and being unpleasant. Also, make sure that you’re asking for reasonable compensation.

A few other suggestions,  if I may?  Personally,  I would not mention anything beyond that you had a conversation with the Captain who offered his apologies - mentioning the coffee thing will only make them defensive, and that's not what you are aiming for.   Include clear copies of every document you mention in your letter, including that stamp in your passports and proof of your travel expenses.  Include the name of the official in Rabat and the official who boarded the ship in San Salvador (you have those names, right?)  Don't threaten a lawsuit or that you've spoken with an attorney.   If it were me, I'd ask a friend to read the letter before I sent it to make sure it concisely and clearly explains what happened.  I would not keep posting your complaint on these boards.

The following email addresses may be out of date.

Massimo Bergamasch
Vice President, Contact Center Operations
6750 N. Andrews Avenue
Suite 100
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309

Roberto Fusaro
President, MSC Cruises USA
6750 N. Andrews Avenue
Suite 100
Roberto.Fusaro@msccruisesusa.com

Richard Sasso
Chairman, MSC Cruises USA
6750 N. Andrews Avenue
Suite 100
Richard.sasso@msccruisesusa.com

Pierfrancesco Vago,  Executive Chairman

MSC Kreuzfahrten AG
Weisse Gasse 6
CH-4001 Basel - Switzerland 

Gianni Onorato, Chief Executive Officer MSC Cruises

CMSC Kreuzfahrten AG
Weisse Gasse 6
CH-4001 Basel - Switzerland 

Gianni.Onorato@msccruisesusa.com

MSC CRUZEIROS DO BRASIL LTDA.
Av. Ibirapuera 2332 - 6th floor - tower #2
04028-003 SAO PAULO - SP -Brazil

MSC Crociere Customer Service 
Via A. Depretis, 31 
80133 Napoli Italia 

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, liceista said:

Dear BermudaBound2014: I just hope you can help me on this issue.......and just get some answer from you, who evidently defend MSC no matter what. 

Firstly, I think this is absolutely TERRIBLE this has happened to you!! My questions were more to understand the complexity of your issue, I have no way to personally help you but I think that jkgourmet has given you remarkably great advice above.

I assure you that I am not one to unilaterally defend MSC (or any corporation); especially in this circumstance. This sounds like an absolute nightmare and I wish you the best in finding a resolution. Please keep posting here on CC (maybe start your own thread) so those of us who are curious can follow your story. I would not let this rest. Once you get to the right person at MSC I am hopeful they will make it right for you.

35 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Firstly, I think this is absolutely TERRIBLE this has happened to you!! My questions were more to understand the complexity of your issue, I have no way to personally help you but I think that jkgourmet has given you remarkably great advice above.

I assure you that I am not one to unilaterally defend MSC (or any corporation); especially in this circumstance. This sounds like an absolute nightmare and I wish you the best in finding a resolution. Please keep posting here on CC (maybe start your own thread) so those of us who are curious can follow your story. I would not let this rest. Once you get to the right person at MSC I am hopeful they will make it right for you.

thank you for the kind words.

Not to be critical, but I think it's a bad idea for Liesiesta to keep posting on CC about this.  IF MSC monitors these boards as some other cruiselines do, it would be better if this situation isn't being 'advertised.' 

However, I agree that when/if she receives reasonable compensation, it would be great if she returns with the final results.  I hope she will share the good or the bad ending to this  sorry situation.

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

thank you for the kind words.

Not to be critical, but I think it's a bad idea for Liesiesta to keep posting on CC about this.  IF MSC monitors these boards as some other cruiselines do, it would be better if this situation isn't being 'advertised.' 

However, I agree that when/if she receives reasonable compensation, it would be great if she returns with the final results.  I hope she will share the good or the bad ending to this  sorry situation.

Please allow me to respectfully disagree for  the following reasons:

1 ) If I were going to be sailing this itinerary soon, I would absolutely want to be aware of this case so that I could be best prepared with additional documentation so that I wasn't 'kicked off the ship'. 

2)  This forum could serve as a place to unite passengers with similar circumstances (this isn't the very first time I've read something along these lines). Strength in numbers thing.

3)  Regardless of nationality/circumstances, it is not uncommon for us to read that MSC often makes their own rules. Not just with this example, but overall inconsistencies. As they say, the thing most consistent with MSC is that they are inconsistent. This is yet another example of poor policy (albeit extreme).

Instead of recommending that Liesiesta becomes quiet on this forum, I suggest the exact opposite.  Not only should he/she be discussing this on every media available, I actually suggest he/she has a responsibility to share this information. According tot he story Liesiesta was grosly mistreated.

I would also recommend that he/she stick directly to the facts so as not to slander/liable the cruise line.  In the event this ends up in a legal dispute (although good luck with that in Italy), I would be cautious with how I told the tale, but I would most certainly be telling it. Of course, I would also be sure to share a resolution if one is found (at each and every place I told the story). If MSC makes this right, that goes a long way in restoring consumer confidence. 

Fair points, Bermuda Bound. 

My comments and opinions are prioritizing getting compensation for Lesiesta.  Your comments and opinions prioritize protecting other CC members.

Of course, Liesiesta will make her own decision.  

• Like 1