Bermuda

doones2

Ships doing T/A crossings "do" stop at and call at Bermuda year-round, including winter months - just check the BDA port schedule, they are not skipping, it's a nice mid-point after being at sea for 4 to 5 days going either direction.  QM2 doesn't stop there nor many, but some do - Hamilton's shallow harbor, like St. George's - are ideal, for smaller ships ... shops & businesses on the waterfront, steps away.  We missed the old days sailing the Norwegian Crown - nearly 1/4 the size of today's mega NCL ships.  

The island residents switch to full winter mode from November 1 to April 1 or later ... Fewer things to do for most Americans visiting via cruise ships berthed at Dockyard.  

NCL's current 2020 prices for new Bermuda bookings, simply - IMHO - obscene - even for 4 and 5 nighters, b/c they are rotating the newer ships ??  Just vote & voice your opinions via the personal wallet accordingly.  Others might feel differently, it's all supply and demand ... "RateGain" in play, for sure. 

On 1/7/2020 at 9:05 PM, hladygirl said:

Maybe because they are in the summer when kids are out of school so very popular with families. Love Bermuda cruises but hate all the kids. Not that I don’t like kids but they take over the ship on these cruises. This is why I try to choose fall long cruises.

Supply and demand. Early in season for cheaper prices. Last minute deals in fall. Sometimes the last week of August or first in September are reasonable as kids back in school. Buyer beware of fall cruises for hurricanes. We enjoyed the Bermuda cruise out of Boston a couple times in end of August.
No kids.

Warm water.
cheap 

Perfect.

I never thought about the fact that the cost of  a cruise to Bermuda is based on supply and demand. It’s not a year round port of call. I have cruised to Bermuda in the fall many times, in the summer once, and in the spring once. I definitely like the fall weather the best.  I have vacationed on Bermuda twice for a week and found it to be equivalent to a cruise as far as expenses go.  Airbnb’s are reasonable and with kitchens or bbq grills we saved money food wise.  I guess what I’m saying is because the cruise is kind of high  I found I could stay for a week in paradise instead of 2 1/2 days for close to the same price. 

11 hours ago, hladygirl said:

I have been on the Boston to Bermuda cruises each of these seasons. May was beautiful weather but the water is too cold to swim. Summer was loaded with kids and so hot and humid it was very uncomfortable to do any sight seeing. In the fall the weather was perfect and water warm. I loved fall best but it was still loaded with kids and we left early due to two hurricanes coming in. It is the best for being safe to wander anywhere.

The water temperature is subjective for swimming.  We've been there in late April and early May, and both times we felt that the water was fine for swimming.  Granted, my partner would have preferred a few degrees warmer, but we were both fine with the lack of crowds and the lower prices for the early season cruise.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:26 AM, JamieLogical said:

I think there are several factors here

1. Many sailings to Bermuda are out of NYC or Boston and those are typically more expensive ports to cruise out of (high demand from local populations).
  2. Bermuda is truly a fantastic destination, compared to some other lackluster itineraries.
  3. Bermuda sailings typically stay in port for multiple days and many people find this desirable, versus spending only a few hours in ports on many other itineraries. The longer stay is more like a land-based vacation in that it gives you more time to explore and truly experience the destination.
  4. The taxes and port fees are higher in Bermuda than a lot of the Caribbean itineraries.

Personally, I LOVE Bermuda and I love sailing out of NYC (close enough for me to drive versus fly), so I am willing to pay a bit more to sail there than say the Port Canaveral/Nassau itineraries out of NYC. Port Canaveral and Nassau are NOT attractive ports for me. When I do that itinerary, it's just to be on a ship, and I often don't even get off the ship. In Bermuda, I definitely make the most of my stay as it's a beautiful island with friendly people and lots to do.

this is so true for us in the NE. ive been on 5 cruises and never flown. i dont see the value of airfare, transfers, at least 1 nite in a hotel. if you add it up, its probably more than a NYC cruise.  u can argue winter and getting the warmer weather faster though.  but i just took a christmas cruise and didnt mind the weather a bit. (rained in disney springs so that nixes the weather argument).

the NE recently has a lot of 4 and 5 day bermuda cruises and some are may and some november. i'm wondering how much torture that would be not having full time there? i did the 3 days on the BA a few years ago and i am really wanting to go back. but just one overnight , or even just a full day. seems so inadequate. 

also as inferred above. rarely is a ship in port 3 days so even with 'regular rates' bermuda is gonna be higher. 

royal has smaller ship going to hamilton/st george this year and that is tempting but the dates dont line up for me sadly. 

2 hours ago, DinaS said:

The water temperature is subjective for swimming.  We've been there in late April and early May, and both times we felt that the water was fine for swimming.  Granted, my partner would have preferred a few degrees warmer, but we were both fine with the lack of crowds and the lower prices for the early season cruise.

That's good to hear......I figure if I can handle the Atlantic in Maine with low 60's, should be ok for a dip in May. Probably bring a half wet suit for snorkling though.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 9:57 AM, JamieLogical said:

If you are going in May, Harbor Nights will have started, which is a street fair that happens every Wednesday night in Hamilton. 

Do you know when exactly it begins? Going mid May, would like to check it out...

Just now, NoobCroozer said:

Do you know when exactly it begins? Going mid May, would like to check it out...

Harbor Nights usually starts at the end of April till the first week or so of September. 

they will have it in middle of may. 

i was amazed by some of the exact same items that were in bermuda as home. a local brand called turkey hill was there. a local bread company. all the way down there! i knew stuff was all shipped in but there are so many closer products so it was kinda neat. i always like to go in supermarkets in foreign places to see if there are different chips/candy etc. and bring them home. everything is at least 2  or 3x the cost in bermuda. standard white bread 7 a loaf. 24pack of soda i think was 20 bucks. frozen pizza well above 10.  i wanted to ask the cashier what people there make but didnt have the guts. and i love getting foreign money back as change for my collection. 

4 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i was amazed by some of the exact same items that were in bermuda as home. a local brand called turkey hill was there. a local bread company. all the way down there! i knew stuff was all shipped in but there are so many closer products so it was kinda neat. i always like to go in supermarkets in foreign places to see if there are different chips/candy etc. and bring them home. everything is at least 2  or 3x the cost in bermuda. standard white bread 7 a loaf. 24pack of soda i think was 20 bucks. frozen pizza well above 10.  i wanted to ask the cashier what people there make but didnt have the guts. and i love getting foreign money back as change for my collection. 

You are right about prices for everything on the island being sky high. It's a bit shocking when you see it, but then you have to think that literally EVERYTHING has to be flown or shipped in long distances. This isn't shipping to the Caribbean islands that are only really a few miles off the coast of the US, we are talking everything needing to be shipped HUNDREDS of miles from the nearest port.