Bermuda

doones2

Maybe because they are in the summer when kids are out of school so very popular with families. Love Bermuda cruises but hate all the kids. Not that I don’t like kids but they take over the ship on these cruises. This is why I try to choose fall long cruises.

• Like 1

One of the most affordable cruises we have taken was to Bermuda this past October.  While that can be the rainiest period in Bermuda, we had beach-worthy weather most of the time in port and relatively few kids on-board.  Try a pre- or post- season cruise for better pricing.

The port charges for 2/3 days in Bermuda are a little higher than some of the islands in the Caribbean, which kind of contributes to the higher price you see. Plus they are very desirable cruises, especially in the spring, summer, and early fall months. 

Every cruise is priced based on popularity and supply and demand, in addition to whatever additional costs the cruise line might incur for that particular cruise.  A stock issued company's only purpose is to maximize profits for the shareholders.  With that being said, our Dawn cruise out of Boston was one of our very best.  Our trip over and back, smooth as glass.  The next scheduled departure had to divert because of a hurricane...first week of Sept.  

I think there are several factors here

1. Many sailings to Bermuda are out of NYC or Boston and those are typically more expensive ports to cruise out of (high demand from local populations).
  2. Bermuda is truly a fantastic destination, compared to some other lackluster itineraries.
  3. Bermuda sailings typically stay in port for multiple days and many people find this desirable, versus spending only a few hours in ports on many other itineraries. The longer stay is more like a land-based vacation in that it gives you more time to explore and truly experience the destination.
  4. The taxes and port fees are higher in Bermuda than a lot of the Caribbean itineraries.

Personally, I LOVE Bermuda and I love sailing out of NYC (close enough for me to drive versus fly), so I am willing to pay a bit more to sail there than say the Port Canaveral/Nassau itineraries out of NYC. Port Canaveral and Nassau are NOT attractive ports for me. When I do that itinerary, it's just to be on a ship, and I often don't even get off the ship. In Bermuda, I definitely make the most of my stay as it's a beautiful island with friendly people and lots to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sullyd said:

end of June thru mid aug is steep but may, sept.and oct. more reasonable watch prices daily as they get closer. for boston any way

Later summer becomes oppressively  hot, and takes you  into peek hurricane season with the potential of bad weather, high seas, and diversion to Canada. 

We sail year-around and have been diverted multiple times. Including one trip to Bermuda going to Halifax and a cancelled cruise last summer when the slow moving hurricane closed Florida ports multiple days. 

20 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I think there are several factors here

1. Many sailings to Bermuda are out of NYC or Boston and those are typically more expensive ports to cruise out of (high demand from local populations).
  2. Bermuda is truly a fantastic destination, compared to some other lackluster itineraries.
  3. Bermuda sailings typically stay in port for multiple days and many people find this desirable, versus spending only a few hours in ports on many other itineraries. The longer stay is more like a land-based vacation in that it gives you more time to explore and truly experience the destination.
  4. The taxes and port fees are higher in Bermuda than a lot of the Caribbean itineraries.

Personally, I LOVE Bermuda and I love sailing out of NYC (close enough for me to drive versus fly), so I am willing to pay a bit more to sail there than say the Port Canaveral/Nassau itineraries out of NYC. Port Canaveral and Nassau are NOT attractive ports for me. When I do that itinerary, it's just to be on a ship, and I often don't even get off the ship. In Bermuda, I definitely make the most of my stay as it's a beautiful island with friendly people and lots to do.

Thanks!  We are heading to Bermuda for the first time on May 31.  I haven't done all the research on the area yet, but it's on my list.  What are your favorite things to do there?  🙂

4 minutes ago, Newfun4me said:

Thanks!  We are heading to Bermuda for the first time on May 31.  I haven't done all the research on the area yet, but it's on my list.  What are your favorite things to do there?  🙂

If you are going in May, Harbor Nights will have started, which is a street fair that happens every Wednesday night in Hamilton. I definitely recommend doing that. NCL runs a free ferry to St. George's, which is a very cute little town with lots of nice shopping, so I definitely recommend that as well. Personally, we like to spend the $19 per person to get the full-day public transportation pass for all of the buses and ferries on the island and just go exploring one day while in port. Sometimes the bus drivers are very friendly and basically act like tour guides, so you can get some fun local info from them. We aren't beach people, so you should get advice over on the port of call forums for Bermuda about which beaches to go to. I know there are some popular ones.

• Thanks 1

We love Bermuda.  We usually go early - like late April or May, so avoid most of the kids out of school.

The two best things about Bermuda are that we get to do overnights - with no worries about getting back to the ship in time.  We can explore at our leisure - come and go as we like.   The other thing is Bermuda itself - it's beautiful, people are so friendly, and it is safe and easy to travel just about anywhere.

We would love if there were more overnight stops at other ports.

Gah! Why'd you have to post those videos and make me nostalgic for Bermuda?!?! I was supposed to go at the end of April, but ended up cancelling and booking a lame FL/Bahamas sailing in March instead so my brother and parents could afford to go and now I don't know when I am going to make it back to Bermuda. 😪

Probably not until May 2021....

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Gah! Why'd you have to post those videos and make me nostalgic for Bermuda?!?! I was supposed to go at the end of April, but ended up cancelling and booking a lame FL/Bahamas sailing in March instead so my brother and parents could afford to go and now I don't know when I am going to make it back to Bermuda. 😪

Probably not until May 2021....

🤣   You'll probably beat me. Our next cruise is an 11 day out of Tampa February 2021. And your 100% correct on the FL/Bahamas run......it really is a lame cruise. Maybe not for the first timer 

Edited by Laszlo

11 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Anyone know why there are no winter cruises to Bermuda?  I imagine it is because of demand but why the low demand?

My guess is because at the moment its only 64F

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I know September is hurricane season but if you actually make it is it warm enough to tour?

Oh yes. It's still quite warm in Bermuda in September and October. Remember, it's roughly the same latitude as South Carolina, so it does stay pretty nice into the late fall. It's just the winter months that wouldn't exactly be "beach weather".

Another thing to keep in mind is total trip price for the cruises.  From the Midwest at least, flights to Boston or NY are significantly cheaper than to Miami.  The several hundred I save on airfare would balance out the higher cruise price.  

Bermuda is pricey no doubt about that. I've been to Bermuda a few times as a land based vacation and everything from food to alcohol is expensive. They import everything so even ordering a burger and fries could cost you $30. Bermuda also has a lot of expats who work there with very little income tax so take home salaries are high. Anyways, a cruise is one of the best values for Bermuda as you don't have to worry about those things which is why it's very popular.

6 hours ago, Newfun4me said:

For your first visit, if your ship is an early afternoon arrival, I recommend the 5 hour mini bus tour.  The mini bus and the driver/tour guide were great.  We covered the entire island from end to end with a few short stops along the way.  Bermuda is a very small place out in the middle of the Atlantic.  It only has three primary roads, all very narrow and traffic speeding back and forth.  This tour gives you a first day look at it all and you can then plan what you want to then do on your own.  

• Thanks 1

I have been on the Boston to Bermuda cruises each of these seasons. May was beautiful weather but the water is too cold to swim. Summer was loaded with kids and so hot and humid it was very uncomfortable to do any sight seeing. In the fall the weather was perfect and water warm. I loved fall best but it was still loaded with kids and we left early due to two hurricanes coming in. It is the best for being safe to wander anywhere.