Dinner dress ALASKA

Tophat4321

Found the dinner dress in Alaska in the MDR to be the same as other Princess cruises. On formal nights a few tuxes, most with suit or sport coat with or without tie and some with pants and nice shirt.  Non formal nights long pants and shirt.  I usually just wore a polo type shirt.

• Like 3

We have been to Alaska on Princess numerous times. My husband used to bring his sport coat and on formal night. He would wear dockers and a sport coat and button down shirt. With all the luggage restrictions, etc. we now only bring carry on bags to Alaska and he no longer brings a blazer. He has had no problems on formal night eating in the MDR with a nice polo shirt and dockers.

• Like 2

I think Alaska is more casual. Though some do dress up but the majority do not.

One way Alaska cruises attracts a lot of new cruisers who are not used to the "formal night" concept of cruising in the old days.

• Like 2

On Alaskan trips people do dress more casually on both casual and formal nights due to having to carry extra clothing.

On formal evenings for the guys a pair of dress pants & dress shirt will do very nicely. For the women a pair of black slacks & any fancy top will work. 

It still shouldn't let you from dressing up if it's your choice. Many people do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Princess dress policies are the same for all itineraries/regions. 

'policies' - correct

your actual onboard experience my vary by region and enforcement of the 'policies'🥃

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Tophat4321 said:

Will be traveling to Alaska in late May. What to wear in dining room for males? I have heard Alaska is quite casual.

bring a sport coat Top, better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Justalone said:

New to cruising.  Unripped or non-torn jeans, OK?   Dressy thong type sandals with rhinestones, OK?

For formal night, we saw people turned away in flip flops- it did not matter how fancy the flip flops were.  Jeans I think were ok, but dining room staff are also different, and may turn away jeans for formal night as well. 

New to cruising.  Unripped or non-torn jeans, OK?   Dressy thong type sandals with rhinestones, OK?

They've got a thing about those jeans with holes in them. I've never seen anyone wearing them on a ship before. Any pair of jeans will do providing they don't have holes.

I don't wear sandals either so no comment.

If not rubber then you just described my dressy shoes! I'm wearing dark jeans like that onboard. Sort of depends on the top. Mine is pale pink tiered chiffon with a few necklaces (medallion in pocket). Worked on a Mexican Baja cruise so it'll do for the California Coastal then Pacific Northwest Coast B2B 

• Like 1

My husband wears a charcoal colored button up wool vest, a dress shirt and some khaki colored pants with black dress shoes and no tie. I'm wearing a sparkly high low dress with flats. They let us in on formal night wearing that and I'm happy to not have to pack formal attire.

22 minutes ago, e71465 said:

My husband wears a charcoal colored button up wool vest, a dress shirt and some khaki colored pants with black dress shoes and no tie. I'm wearing a sparkly high low dress with flats. They let us in on formal night wearing that and I'm happy to not have to pack formal attire.

🤨  must be from Pine Hill

Edited by c-boy
emoji

Here's my advice, even though it doesn't answer your direct question.  Don't worry about going to the MDR in Alaska.  Go outside and enjoy the beautiful scenery and ports.  I personally would never go through the trouble and expense of traveling to Alaska to then sit in a dining room for 2 hours when I could be on my balcony watching whales, or observing Glacier Bay National Park, etc.  You get the idea.  But to each their own.  

11 hours ago, nini said:

Sandals and flip flops (sparkly or not),  are very different. 

Curious as to a definition of flip flops.  I have lots of fancy thong sandals.  Would they be considered flip flops?

7 hours ago, CynCyn said:

Curious as to a definition of flip flops.  I have lots of fancy thong sandals.  Would they be considered flip flops?

Flip flops are rubber. Many non rubber sandals have the strap between the toes

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CynCyn said:

The term you are using is a term used in the 70's and 80's. They are now flip flops.