Menu with Exc.Port to Table

Billthekid

Just completed a holiday cruise on the Zaandam.  On the MDR menu they had five appetizers and five entrees.  Included in each category was an item marked "Exc. Port to Table." which I believe was an attempt to have a cultural experience in international foods.  The problem was we never knew which country or culture the item came from.  The servers did not know, the cooks were vague and the actual food item was unknown to ever one.  You could guess and be way off.  Some individuals may be familiar with the dish, but I was not.  Here is what was listed on the Menu. 

Short Rib Empanada
green onion, egg, green olives, tomato salsa        STARTERS • SOUPS • SALADS

smoked carne asada  
rice, black beans, guacamole, warm flour tortillas        MAINS

Sopa De Aapallo
Brandada Bacalao
Cumin Lamb Al Azadora
Chicken Croilla
Ninos Envueltos

I love trying different foods, but I am not use to just pointing and hoping for the best.  HAL needs to provide more information for this great idea.

Edited by Billthekid
  • Thanks 1

Those offerings sound excellent.  Where were you cruising?

These are Spanish dishes - whether they are from Mexico, Chile or Catalan (Spain) is debatable as they all have these with different twists.

DH would have been delighted if they were on the menu.

I thought Port to Table was going to replace the ATK.  Interesting to see it’s on the MDR menu.  Thanks 🙂 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Billthekid said:

South America and yes they sounded Spanish to me and it would be nice to know which country and what is it.🤩

I suspect some were Chilean 😉 

The first two items are clearly identified as to what they are.  The others I know.

Since we are saiing in ports in Spain, I am hoping to see some offerings on our cruise now 🙂. that's a nice return to something that used to be done - sampling some of the local flavours.

18 hours ago, Billthekid said:

Just completed a holiday cruise on the Zaandam.  On the MDR menu they had five appetizers and five entrees.  Included in each category was an item marked "Exc. Port to Table." which I believe was an attempt to have a cultural experience in international foods.  The problem was we never knew which country or culture the item came from.  The servers did not know, the cooks were vague and the actual food item was unknown to ever one.  You could guess and be way off.  Some individuals may be familiar with the dish, but I was not.  Here is what was listed on the Menu. 

Short Rib Empanada
green onion, egg, green olives, tomato salsa        STARTERS • SOUPS • SALADS

smoked carne asada  
rice, black beans, guacamole, warm flour tortillas        MAINS

Sopa De Aapallo
Brandada Bacalao
Cumin Lamb Al Azadora
Chicken Croilla
Ninos Envueltos

I love trying different foods, but I am not use to just pointing and hoping for the best.  HAL needs to provide more information for this great idea.

Carna Asada and tortillas: Mexican   Tortillas with marinated beef (flank)

Short rib empanada: Argentinia and other countries   short rib in a crust

Sopa de Zapallo (A=Z). Pumpkin soup  many South American countries plus f.e. Panama

Brandade Bacalao. Spanish dish (French brandade,) Stockfish spread.  

Cumin Lamb al Azadora:  Lamb al Asador, Patagonia -  Al asado = whole lamb over the fire

Chicken Croilla = Pollo a la Criolla - Spanish, Caribbean, South America    The creole way

Ninos Envueltos Chile,  steak rolls

Enjoy your next South American cruise I am a tiny little bit jealous 😉 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MAVIP said:

Carna Asada and tortillas: Mexican   Tortillas with marinated beef (flank)

Short rib empanada: Argentinia and other countries   short rib in a crust

Sopa de Zapallo (A=Z). Pumpkin soup  many South American countries plus f.e. Panama

Brandade Bacalao. Spanish dish (French brandade,) Stockfish spread.  

Cumin Lamb al Azadora:  Lamb al Asador, Patagonia -  Al asado = whole lamb over the fire

Chicken Croilla = Pollo a la Criolla - Spanish, Caribbean, South America    The creole way

Ninos Envueltos Chile,  steak rolls

Enjoy your next South American cruise I am a tiny little bit jealous 😉 

Thanks for the research.  Wish I had that on the cruise/menu they sound interesting.  Thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 5:09 PM, Billthekid said:

So yet another poorly thought-out implementation by HAL.   There's a real pattern here, not just on the menu offerings 😞

Well we have the reduction in menu size. And they need to include two bottles of wine way out of my price range. They have dropped the "always available" and only feature "special" deserts. Takes a lot of guessing for a four star, made it really difficult for the newbes.

On 1/19/2020 at 7:05 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

I like this new concept.

But I also would like to know about what the items contain.

I agree. With so many people managing food allergies and restrictions, info about the major "culprits" should be available to the waiters so if someone asks about peanuts or gluten or some other dietary problem, they should get more than a shrug in response.

14 hours ago, aa7yy said:

Well we have the reduction in menu size. And they need to include two bottles of wine way out of my price range. They have dropped the "always available" and only feature "special" deserts. Takes a lot of guessing for a four star, made it really difficult for the newbes.

I'm not sure what you mean about only featuring "special" deserts. Have they reduced the number of choices on the menu?

And are the "always available" items completely gone or just not shown on the menu?

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm not sure what you mean about only featuring "special" deserts. Have they reduced the number of choices on the menu?

And are the "always available" items completely gone or just not shown on the menu?

On Gala nights there were special deserts, but the rest of the nights it was the same old things.  A sundae, a fruit tart, a fruit crisp, crème brulee (6 nights), a mousse, and a cheese cake.  Nothing too fancy.

5 minutes ago, Billthekid said:

On Gala nights there were special deserts, but the rest of the nights it was the same old things.  A sundae, a fruit tart, a fruit crisp, crème brulee (6 nights), a mousse, and a cheese cake.  Nothing too fancy.

I've found HAL's attempts at fancy desserts to be disappointing, especially cakes. So at least they're keeping what they do well.

17 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've found HAL's attempts at fancy desserts to be disappointing, especially cakes. So at least they're keeping what they do well.

Well I think that I remember "always available" showing up less then half the time. Yes, I am probably remembering the Gala Nights (extra dose with Xmas and New Year) and the choices that I did not recognize so I just would like Salmon, Creme Brulee or something simple with ice cream. I tried a few of the "special deserts" and usually left half of it.

Kinda feels like they are trying for a 5* menu with $100 bottles of wine and driving everything else down to blue collar. But the menus format is constantly changing. I can go thru life without glasses, except to read the menu.

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

We were on Oosterdam this month.  The "always available" are not always shown on the menu -- some nights yes and some nights no.  I was able to order the salmon on a night when it did not appear on the menu.  Confusing for people who aren't familiar with the menu.  

I wondered if the "always available" items are to be gradually eliminated -- but that would imply forethought and planning on the part of HAL, so it seems more likely that they just want to have room on the menu to print the upsell items -- wine, shellfish, etc.