Torn between Ncl Jade or Ncl Star Iceland cruise

jowens4201979

Already booked the Jade but now I see the Star cruise which is some of the same ports with a couple extra stops.  They both leave from NY within a week of each other end of April 2021.  Have never cruised outside of the carribean or Hawaii and I know this will not be a warm weather cruise.  Any input between the 2 would be appreciated.  Thanks

Screenshot_20200123-164636_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200123-164554_Chrome.jpg

Iceland is pretty neat.  You realize that Bruges will be a train trip from Zeebrugge as will Le Havre for Paris.  Holeyhead is interesting, I've done Wales as land trips so that might be very interesting.  Ending in AMS is always great because you can do a couple days afterwards sightseeing in Holland.  Lots to see just in AMS by itself too.  Van Gog museum, Heinekin Brewery Tour, canal cruise, Anne Frank Huis, Reijksmuseum etc etc.... Then if you wanted to explore more, London is a very quick flight from AMS (I think its about 1/2 an hour!)  so you can add more time afterward in London too.

The cruise sounds like a really great one.

The Star does not have the wonderful public areas that the Jade has — the Great Outdoors, and the Spinnaker Lounge. The latter in particular would be important on a cool/cold weather crossing.  I love the Jade and her sister Jewel-class ships. I have no great interest in sailing on the Star.

In terms of the ports, be sure to look at the times the ship is in port.  For example, how much time will you have In Reykjavik?  

Where do you want to end up in Europe? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

The Star does not have the wonderful public areas that the Jade has — the Great Outdoors, and the Spinnaker Lounge. The latter in particular would be important on a cool/cold weather crossing.  I love the Jade and her sister Jewel-class ships. I have no great interest in sailing on the Star.

In terms of the ports, be sure to look at the times the ship is in port.  For example, how much time will you have In Reykjavik?  

Where do you want to end up in Europe? 

Agree 100%. Spinnaker is a must!

• Like 2

The STAR until it goes through a dry-dock check-up sometime in the next few months would not be my

ship of choice. It has a history of engine problems - missing ports - reduced speed !

Stay with the JADE for better overall features UNLESS the cruise fare is a consideration you can't pass up !

All NCL ships can weather the cold but with the enclosed observation areas like on the JEWEL class ships

you won't have any problems staying warm and seeing the sights.

Also note the STAR cruise ends at London - the JADE at Amsterdam.

Compare the expenses of flying home from both cities (hint Amsterdam less expensive fewer taxes fees)

Edited by don't-use-real-name
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, jowens4201979 said:

Already booked the Jade but now I see the Star cruise which is some of the same ports with a couple extra stops.  They both leave from NY within a week of each other end of April 2021.  Have never cruised outside of the carribean or Hawaii and I know this will not be a warm weather cruise.  Any input between the 2 would be appreciated.  Thanks

Screenshot_20200123-164636_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200123-164554_Chrome.jpg

Iceland is a great place to visit.  Do the Golden Circle.

As for which ship to take, the Jade is far nicer than the Star.  The ship layout on the Star stinks.  The ship is old and should be decommissioned.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on the Jade for an Italy/Greece cruise and the ship is really nice.  We are going back this summer, and we booked the Jade again for a Rome to Amsterdam repositioning cruise.  Never cruised on the Star, but I can tell you that Jade is a nice ship!

On 1/24/2020 at 8:11 AM, All-ready2cruise said:

I'm booked on the Jade for the same cruise, it'll be my 3rd time on the Jade and my 4th TA.

I really like this itinerary. 

Well maybe we will finally meet as I'm on this cruise. Last year you had to cancel the TA

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, njkate said:

Well maybe we will finally meet as I'm on this cruise. Last year you had to cancel the TA

That would be fun Kate. Looking forward to meeting you. 

I think in the last few years I've had to cancel more cruises than I've taken, think I'm on the right track now though. 

BTW, for those already booked on this cruise, the Roll Call has already been started.  

https://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/norwegian-jade-april-22-2021/

Edited by All-ready2cruise
RC started
  • Like 1