Bringing champagne onboard

Seaside maid

Hi.  We will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary on our November cruise on the Bliss through the Panama Canal.  I've looked at NCL on board shopping and the cost of champagne is astronomical.  I'm thinking of buying this in duty free in England and bringing it with me so my question s are,. Will I have a problem with this when I fly into Miami (flight is UK, Amsterdam, Miami) Also will I be allowed bring this onboard to drink this in the restaurant on my anniversary (I realise there would be a corkage fee). TIA

Just now, LaCal said:

Yes you can pack it in your checked luggage on the flight 

And yes you can bring in onboard 

In terms of bringing it on board the ship, though, be sure it’s not in your checked luggage or you’ll be called to the naughty room. Carry it on, and pay the corkage fee ($15 for a standard 750 ml bottle).

Congratulations on your anniversary! 

Thanks for the info.  My luggage is checked through from UK to Miami so packing it isn't an option.  Although I suppose I could buy it it UK supermarket and then pack it.. is there a customs restrictions on the amount of alcohol that one person can bring into the USA

Alcoholic Beverages and Customs Duty

Alcoholic beverages are a special case. In the United States, customs regulations state that adults over age 21 may bring one liter (33.8 ounces) of alcoholic beverages into the US duty free, regardless of where it was purchased. You may bring more if you wish, but you will have to pay customs duty and federal exise taxes on the value of all the alcohol you bring home except for that first one liter bottle.

I am checked into the Hilton at Miami airport, so would there be anywhere nearby to buy it.  Also a very long shot but anyone have an idea on price in Miami.  I'm not trying to penny pinch but onboard, cheapest bottle is $95 where as I can get a pack of 2 bottles of same brand for £47 in the duty free in UK.

Thanks for the tip about the checked in luggage, I can remove it in hotel before embarking.

45 minutes ago, Seaside maid said:

I am checked into the Hilton at Miami airport, so would there be anywhere nearby to buy it.  Also a very long shot but anyone have an idea on price in Miami.  I'm not trying to penny pinch but onboard, cheapest bottle is $95 where as I can get a pack of 2 bottles of same brand for £47 in the duty free in UK.

Thanks for the tip about the checked in luggage, I can remove it in hotel before embarking.

Google maps shows the nearest store to be 3 miles from your hotel. Not sure how different the pricing would be for what you are looking for. 

Will you have time to buy your champagne at duty free in Schiphol? If so you will pick up the champagne at the gate and avoid issues with checked luggage and mishaps. You may be able to do the same in the UK but I believe you will have to go through airside security in Schiphol before boarding a USA bound flight and the champagne may be prohibited there though I can't say for sure.

You can probably call duty free in Schiphol and find out what is available and what it costs. I wouldn't be too concerned about duty entering the USA. It's only a few dollars per liter for overage. 

1 hour ago, Seaside maid said:

Ask the front desk or concierge at the hotel.  It looks like a Publix grocery store isn't too far away.  Also, the bar at the hotel may sell you a bottle, but I don't know how good their prices would be.

3 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

Will you have time to buy your champagne at duty free in Schiphol? If so you will pick up the champagne at the gate and avoid issues with checked luggage and mishaps. You may be able to do the same in the UK but I believe you will have to go through airside security in Schiphol before boarding a USA bound flight and the champagne may be prohibited there though I can't say for sure.

You can probably call duty free in Schiphol and find out what is available and what it costs. I wouldn't be too concerned about duty entering the USA. It's only a few dollars per liter for overage. 

Thanks for the information about Schiphol,  I have 90 mins. Between flights so I may be able to get it there.  I think I will take your advice and ring them to find out, I would be disappointed if I bought it in UK just to have it confiscated.

3 minutes ago, Sauer-kraut said:

I found this shop in Miami that delivers and here is the link to their sparkling wine with prices, so at least you have an idea of what you might be paying. 

https://drizly.com/wine/c3

I use Drizly all the time in Denver.  Create an online account and they will deliver right to the hotel.  Very easy!

The hotel may provide courtesy shuttle in the local area.  If they do, they might be able to run  you over the nearby Publix.  I'm guessing the Miami area grocery stores stock a pretty good supply of alcoholic beverages, or have a liquor store in close proximity.  Congratulations on your 50th.  We are now approaching 52.   

If you are staying at the Hilton Airport at Blue Lagoon, there is no grocery store within walking distance, though there may be a liquor store. (I know you you didn't ask about walking distance, but sometimes, especially after a long flight, people like to get out and walk.) We have stayed there and the Homewood Suites a few times in the last two years and it's isolated in the sense that those, along with one or two other hotels, are about the only thing around.

The idea of buying a bottle from the hotel bar is a good one, though you may be paying comparable prices to the ship.

We have flown with champagne a number of times, however - including back to the U.S. from the U.K. a few months ago (I'm pregnant and couldn't drink it, but our hotel sent it to us for our anniversary, and we'll have it after our baby arrives). Wrapped carefully in towels/bubble wrap/a plastic bag and placed in checked luggage surrounded by clothing...no issues each and every time we've flown with it. So, I think you would be fine. (It never dawned on us as something we'd need to declare in the U.S., and we were not asked, but something to look into.)

Happy early anniversary!

We have purchased 2 ways in Miami.We like Vueve Cliquot; we google thePublix 

Supermarket nearest to our hotel and order it for delivery to the hotel.

We have also used an online wine dealer to have bottles delivered to the hotel; we just carry on with them in our carryon.

Cliquot runs us about 46 dollars in Miami, 50 or so online. 

Thanks everyone for the information.  It is fantastic the wealth of knowledge, I hadn't thought about using online, with delivery to the hotel, that may be the easiest way and the one with least hassle although I've just been told that French wine is about to be hit with huge tax increases in the USA.  $50 per bottle isn't to far away from UK supermarket prices so something to look into.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seaside maid said:

Thanks everyone for the information.  It is fantastic the wealth of knowledge, I hadn't thought about using online, with delivery to the hotel, that may be the easiest way and the one with least hassle although I've just been told that French wine is about to be hit with huge tax increases in the USA.  $50 per bottle isn't to far away from UK supermarket prices so something to look into.

Just take the chance in your case, we have many times and never been to the Naughty Room..

Thanks Turtles 06. I have posted the question on the. Florida board with some very helpful replies.  With regard to packing champagne before I leave, I'm am staying in hotel overnight before cruise so I would be able to unpack it.  I certainly wouldn't be trying to "hide" it in my luggage it just wouldn't be worth the hassle to me.  Thanks for your help

7 hours ago, dolita22 said:

If you are staying at the Hilton Airport at Blue Lagoon, there is no grocery store within walking distance, though there may be a liquor store. (I know you you didn't ask about walking distance, but sometimes, especially after a long flight, people like to get out and walk.) We have stayed there and the Homewood Suites a few times in the last two years and it's isolated in the sense that those, along with one or two other hotels, are about the only thing around.

There is actually a Publix within a very easy walking distance from the Homewood Suites (a bit further from the Hilton). It is half a mile from Homewood Suites and less than a mile from the Hilton.

We walked there from the Homewood Suites last year. A very easy walk, although you do have to cross a road.