Splendor! The Pre-Christening Inaugural Transatlantic Cruise! A LIVE Joint Blog!

Mr Rumor

Hello, friends, it's setting-the-table time for the maiden Splendor joint live blog! It's a big table this outing, with many leaves, as we're expecting a lot of you for "dinner" (and "breakfast" and "lunch")!

By the way, did you notice I just wrote "maiden"?   I've been itching to use that word in conjunction with the Splendor's February 6-20, 2020 Barcelona-Miami cruise after failing to locate "maiden" in any Regent description of this singularly special sailing.  (Regent finally came close in a recent e-mail by referring to our cruise as "Seven Seas Splendor's inaugural voyage"). 

You don't think Regent's decision to not use "maiden" in its marketing of Barcelona-Miami is a ploy to deny me my "Maiden Voyage" door plaque, do you?  I've been counting on placing that plaque next to my Explorer 2016 Maiden Voyage plaque on the side of my metal file cabinet!

Inaugural. . .  pre-christening. . .  maiden. . . however this cruise is described, we suddenly saw it flash before our eyes when Ginny fell at home early this month and fractured her left wrist!  Thankfully, the ER doc did such a good job re-setting it that her orthopedic surgeon decided to take a wait-and-see approach regarding surgery, which would have involved the insertion of a metal plate.  As long as the broken bones behaved themselves and didn't move inside Ginny's tight cast (a stylish number with a tightening dial) she would be "out of the woods."  Last week, a couple of sets of x-rays later, she finally was.  Phew!

So with three functioning arms between us, Mrs. Rumor and I will be Barcelona bound on Sunday.  We had originally signed up for Regent's pre-cruise tour "Timeless Barcelona and Medieval Cardona," but then decided to save the $1189 per person while keeping the early flights and do our own thing in Barcelona for three nights (we've engaged a local guide for a couple of tours).  Since there may be other contributors to our  blog who are planning an early Barcelona arrival, I decided to launch it a few days early, to accommodate those who might want to post about their pre-cruise adventures.

I'm looking forward to sharing the blogging baton with fellow Cruise Critic stalwarts Marcia aka "Diamond Lil"/JAG2003, Sandy/Kwaj girl and Jim/DeepFreeze63, among others.  I'm also hoping that Roll Call participant Popdog1,  a first-time Regent cruiser (you really know how to pick a cruise, Barb!), will pop in and grace this blog with her thoughts on Splendor as well as the overall Regent experience. 

A confession: Barcelona-Miami was actually a Splendor replacement pick for Ginny's and my 21st cruise with Regent.  I had originally booked the cruise that dozens of you will be on:  Los Angeles-Miami.  But even though I had some concern about chancing the Atlantic so early in the year (others must have, too, as the cruise hasn't quite sold out), I decided I couldn't pass up the opportunity for us to be aboard an "inaugural" voyage and a maiden Atlantic crossing at the same time.  It took me two cruises on the Explorer in 2016 to accomplish that feat.

And what better way to get familiar with a brand new ship and to renew acquaintances with favorite staff and crew, beginning with Captain Serena, the first woman in cruise industry history to helm a new ocean cruise ship at launch, than to spend 286 hours of our 324 hours-long cruise at sea?  Our original itinerary listed nine sea days, but we got a tenth one after Regent recently replaced our overnight Bermuda stop with an 18-hour call at San Juan,  to "facilitate a smoother disembarkation process" in Miami. (We plan to apply the $500 per person cruise credit Regent is providing for the 11th hour schedule change to an onboard 2021 Splendor booking.)

To spice up our time aboard the Splendor, Regent will be treating us to five new productions shows  and no fewer than 19 new "signature cocktails" boasting intriguing names such as Bon Soiree, Unlucky Irish and Quintessentially British (I felt a little woozy just typing that).  As I make my Splendor rounds, pocket notebook and pen at the ready,  I'll be sure to pause in the Constellation Theater.  My main beef with sister ship Explorer--it might have been yours, too--were the lousy, verging on non-existent, sightlines from the balcony.  Regent assures us that that issue has been addressed on the Splendor.  How many new cruise ship PR releases do you recall extolling the theater's "clear sightlines" in the first paragraph?  

While I'm Random Notes gathering or just drifting off to sleep after fooling myself into thinking I'll be watching a movie in our cabin, Ginny vows to keep crafting.  She has a couple of projects in mind that she is convinced she can execute largely one-handed.  If the results are as cute and sweet as I think they will be, I'll be sure to share a photo.

It will be great to have you following along!  The goal is to give you a taste, in words and (lots of) pics, of what you have to look forward to when you board the Splendor yourselves in the weeks and months to come. Enjoy, and don't hesitate to post your Splendor questions.  One of us will try to get you an answer.

OK, over to you, Splendor blogging mates!

Rich

That's my Ginny, perfectly cast for a Splendorific experience! 

457903556_PerfectcastingforSplendor2.thumb.jpg.8fea12619f16edc7f540f1870fdc1933.jpg

itinerary.jpg.e0912d461f3e98981a2eee3fc7de2599.jpg

• Like 9

What a splendid start to the maiden Splendor joint live blog!  Well done Mr. Rumour!  Glad you are doing better Ginny.

I leave Toronto for Barcelona on Tuesday Feb 04 overnighting Feb 05 before the exciting embarkation on a brand new Regent ship!  Much more to follow from several of us - just 6 more sleeps to go......💎

978222774_RegentSevenSeasSPLENDOR.thumb.jpg.3a6002007e603f58472225901bb784ca.jpg

JAY is ready!.jpg

• Like 2

Bags are packed and I am ready and WAITING to take off next Tuesday early with a long layover in JFK. DW (Mary) is watching the weather forecasts FREQUENTLY.

I plan to compare Splendor with Explorer. It'll be our 5th TA; our 6th Explorer cruise (2 TAs) and 17th Regent cruise. Four of our Explorer cabins have been E609 where we will be this cruise.. I am "vertically" challenged so those theater sight lines are of major interest to me, who never missesd a lecture or a show there.

I must walk A LOT so I won't mind running down any venue-related questions you pose

Wish us all well as Splendor gets use to the sea.

Jim C.

Edited by DeepFreeze63
misspelled "sight".
  • Like 3

Just what I have been waiting for!!  Rich and Ginny and all the others with you - bon voyage.  I am so eager to see your photos (which are always great) and finally see something of the inside of the Splendor.

For what it's worth I think the reason the 6 Feb cruise is not called "Maiden voyage" is that there is a mini cruise from Ancona to Barcelona before it, maybe for Regent staff so that shouldn't count, and then of course the "Christening Cruise" on 21 February out of Miami.  Whatever it is called you are on it and that is wonderful.

Now a job for you Rich if you don't mind -- can you find out once on board who will take over from Serena when she goes off duty.  We were hoping she would be our captain out of San Diego but apparently she won't.   We know Franck will be our GM.  And John the CD.  But the captain ??  

Fly safely to Barcelona and enjoy that wonderful city.  Great place for a few nights to get over jet lag and see fascinating things.  Take care both (all!) of you!   Gerry

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this blog.  Lynn and I leave for Madrid this Friday.  We have done Barcelona before so we thought we would start earlier and add another city.  We are taking the train to Barcelona on the 4th.  We have a local friend who is taking us to Stiges for the day on the 5th.  We are excited to see the new improvements from the Explorer .  Looking forward to the meet and great.

• Like 1

Hello Rich

Steve and I will be avid readers of your blog as we are boarding the Splendor in Miami on 2/25.

Glad to hear that Ginny is recovering.

All the best to you both.  Have a wonderful stay in Barcelona and a fabulous cruise.

Sharon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Rumor said:

Inaugural. . .  pre-christening. . .  maiden.

Oh I can hear the marketeers now debating this minutiae.     “Pre-christening is archaic and leaves out other major religions...perhaps a no go......but maiden is a bit misogynistic, don’t you think?....references a woman being untouched ......no male equivalent unless we use virgin cruise......I know!  Let’s use inaugural...that should please everyone....”

Looking forward to your blog, Rich.   Wish we could be there with you! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

For what it's worth I think the reason the 6 Feb cruise is not called "Maiden voyage" is that there is a mini cruise from Ancona to Barcelona before it, maybe for Regent staff so that shouldn't count, and then of course the "Christening Cruise" on 21 February out of Miami.  Whatever it is called you are on it and that is wonderful.

Lovely to know both Splendor and Explorer will meet on February 21st!!  We will be boarding the Explorer on that date en route to the Caribbean, and will be sure to salute and congratulate all those boarding the Splendor on that date.... I wonder if in nearby terminals...  Bon voyage and look forward to your postings!

• Like 1

This is wonderful!  I have never followed a maiden/inaugural voyage and I’m sure this one will be full of detail. We are on our first Regent cruise on the Explorer TA in April and then spending five nights in Barcelona, which is a first visit there for us. Have not planned a lot of that part of our trip yet, except the hotel, so I will appreciate all the Barcelona related content you want to include!  

• Like 1

Rich:  I am so looking forward to reading your excellent posts. They are always entertaining and well written. You have the gift, bro. Have a great time in BCN and have some pan con tomate for us who are left behind. Also, there’s a great restaurant called Caracol just off of Las Ramblas. 
Following this thread will be the highlight of my day. Too bad we are not on the Splendor until 2021☹️.
Fly safe. 

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 2

Joining in with the excitement here. Really looking forward to all your posts and photos. We have our first TA on the New York to Barcelona cruise, so like others look forward to all your feedback on Splendour. 
Best wishes to you all and safe travels. So glad Ginny is well for her cruise, thanks,

Jean.

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this blog Rich. 

My husband Barry and I will be flying to Barcelona on Saturday, Feb.1 and staying at Le Meridien until we board the Splendor. This will be our first trip to Barcelona so we plan to walk around town (we love walking) and of course take in as many of Gaudi's works as possible.  Really looking forward to our first cruise with Regent - we usually sail with Seabourn.  

Special shout out to JAG2003 (see above) who is also from Toronto. 

Looking forward to meeting everyone aboard.  Haven't started packing yet so I'm getting really anxious.  Off to get started right now!

My photo doesn't looking exactly like me since I've dropped weight since it was taken.

Barb

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JAG2003 said:

What a splendid start to the maiden Splendor joint live blog!  Well done Mr. Rumour!  Glad you are doing better Ginny.

I leave Toronto for Barcelona on Tuesday Feb 04 overnighting Feb 05 before the exciting embarkation on a brand new Regent ship!  Much more to follow from several of us - just 6 more sleeps to go......💎

978222774_RegentSevenSeasSPLENDOR.thumb.jpg.3a6002007e603f58472225901bb784ca.jpg

JAY is ready!.jpg

Jag2003 what part of Toronto are you from?  We live in a house just north of Eglinton and just east of Mount Pleasant.  Wonderful to have another Torontonian on our cruise!

Barbara

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Rumor said:

we're expecting a lot of you for "dinner" (and "breakfast" and "lunch")!

Looking forward to joining you for dinner, breakfast, lunch, cocktail hour, Sunday brunch, cocktail hour, midnight snack, cocktail hour..... you get the idea.

I wish Mr Rumor, JAG2003,  Kwaj girl ,DeepFreeze63,  cohner, popdog1, and all others on this trip a fabulous cruise.  The 55 CC members that will be boarding for the San Diego to Miami cruise are counting on you to see that everything is A OK on this new ship!

Bob

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Looking forward to joining you for dinner, breakfast, lunch, cocktail hour, Sunday brunch, cocktail hour, midnight snack, cocktail hour..... you get the idea.

I wish Mr Rumor, JAG2003,  Kwaj girl ,DeepFreeze63,  cohner, popdog1, and all others on this trip a fabulous cruise.  The 55 CC members that will be boarding for the San Diego to Miami cruise are counting on you to see that everything is A OK on this new ship!

Bob

Everything will be ship shape Bob 😂.  Btw I will also be on board SD-MIA.  See you then 💎

17 minutes ago, Popdog1 said:

Jag2003 what part of Toronto are you from?  We live in a house just north of Eglinton and just east of Mount Pleasant.  Wonderful to have another Torontonian on our cruise!

Barbara

I am on The Collegeway in Mississauga.  Nearer to the airport for quick exits!  Look forward to seeing you at the M&M 🇨🇦

• Like 1