Live - Standing Ovation from the Land Down Under - New Zealand, 11 Nights Feb. 2, 2020

twangster

Our skipper Darryl introduced himself and the crew took turns introducing themselves.

ov_day4-9.jpg

Ovation in the distance as we boated across the bay.

ov_day4-10.jpg

Darryl called out the menu and we were given the choice of three mains.  New Zealand Venison, Lamb or Fish.  With orders taken the crew begins to season our lunch that we'll eat after our first stop.

ov_day4-11.jpg

• Like 2

Picture intensive post.  

Mid-thread reminder...  please don't quote pictures.  Thanks!

We stopped in a quaint little village called Russell.  In the days of whaling Russell was known for two things.  Bars and brothels.  It's come a long way since then... 

ov_day4-12.jpg

ov_day4-13.jpg

ov_day4-14.jpg

ov_day4-15.jpg

ov_day4-16.jpg

ov_day4-17.jpg

ov_day4-18.jpg

ov_day4-19.jpg

Interesting note for pedestrians, the cars don't stop.  Fortunately there aren't very many.  Cars that is.

ov_day4-20.jpg

ov_day4-21.jpg

ov_day4-22.jpg

ov_day4-23.jpg

ov_day4-24.jpg

ov_day4-25.jpg

ov_day4-26.jpg

An hour was plenty of time to explore from one end of the beach to the other.  Russel is a pretty little area that is popular.

ov_day4-27.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 5

Back on the boat we continued down into the bay.  

Remember that rock formation from my earlier pictures?

ov_day4-28.jpg

Darryl explained there are 140 islands in the region.  To qualify as an island there must be something like 130 sq. meters of vegetation.  

It was getting to be that time...

ov_day4-29.jpg

Lunch preparations continued as we boated around sailboats and around some of the bays in the area.

ov_day4-30.jpg

The panoramic nature of this boat lended itself to the scenery. 

ov_day4-31.jpg

Lunch on the barbie.  Or is that only an Aussie thing? 

ov_day4-32.jpg

New Zealand Venison, medium rare.  Cooked to order so if you prefer charcoal they were willing to cook it that way. 

ov_day4-33.jpg

Salad and other fixings.  Beer and wine was around $7.50 NZD per glass or ~$5 USD at the moment.    They ran a tab and collected payment at the end.  I didn't have any NZD cash so just used my credit card that doesn't incur any foreign transaction fees.  A beer and a glass of wine came to just under $10 USD.

ov_day4-34.jpg

• Like 3

Many of my fellow lunch cruise guests immediately went back onto a tender.  I chose to walk the 25 minutes to that little town we passed by.  The free shuttle buses were nice looking, plentiful and waiting but I wanted to stretch my legs.  

ov_day4-38.jpg

Bridge jumping was a popular local youth activity today.

ov_day4-39.jpg

ov_day4-40.jpg

It's a very beautiful area.

ov_day4-41.jpg

ov_day4-42.jpg

ov_day4-43.jpg

ov_day4-44.jpg

This small park had many local artisans with booths set up.  I must confess I flexed my credit card a couple of times.   It's always nice when you can meet the artist that actually created an item and so I supported the local arts community on this day.  

ov_day4-45.jpg

With my backpack full of memories that will bring this day back to me it was getting quite warm so I hopped on a free shuttle bus back to the tender dock.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Beautiful Pictures! I now what to go. What was the temperature that day and what is the average temp down there at this time of year?

So far there have been cooler mornings in 60s in F or mid teens in C.  By midday it’s been near or just above 80 F or mid twenties in C.  

It hasn’t been as humid as Sydney.  Quite pleasant but bring a light jacket for evenings on deck where the sea temperature rules the nights.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, twangster said:

So far there have been cooler mornings in 60s in F or mid teens in C.  By midday it’s been near or just above 80 F or mid twenties in C.  

Good to know even though it is considered summer down there. Sounds like you should pack sort as if it's like a summer Alaska cruise. Thanks and enjoy! Love what you are doing.

Cheers!

Thank you. Bringing it all back! We sailed on the r tucker Thompson rigged schooner that is in some of your excellent photos. Loved walking around Russell, such a picturesque little town. I do remember however several of our fellow passengers being upset as to how long the tender took as they were missing out on their drinks package!

• Haha 1

after looking at your wonderful photos, I quickly checked my Nov 2020 cruise on P Majestic, and YES it is going to Bay of Islands right after doing Auckland.

Let us know besides your tour if there was another one that others on the ship took and liked.  I of course have to wait and see what my cruise line will off.

Appreciate the way you frame your photos by doing little boats and birds.

toodles

For reference here is the tender dock:

ov_day4pm-1.jpg

Back on board I hopped in the shower and enjoyed a beer on my balcony while the remaining hour wasted away before our departure..

ov_day4pm-2.jpg

The sail out is very pretty.

ov_day4pm-3.jpg

ov_day4pm-4.jpg

Up to the North Star Bar to watch us depart the area.

ov_day4pm-5.jpg

ov_day4pm-6.jpg

North Star was running.

ov_day4pm-7.jpg

ov_day4pm-8.jpg

ov_day4pm-9.jpg

It's a beautiful coastline.

ov_day4pm-10.jpg

ov_day4pm-11.jpg

ov_day4pm-12.jpg

• Like 6

The North Star Bar is a secret gem at dusk.  It's seems so few people are present when the sky offers some of the best views of the day.

ov_day4eve-1.jpg

ov_day4eve-2.jpg

ov_day4eve-3.jpg

A movie was playing on the outdoor pool TV screen.

ov_day4eve-4.jpg

I didn't think there was going to be much of a sunset but then in that space between the sky and the sea a hole opened up and the sun presented itself in the gap.

ov_day4eve-5.jpg

ov_day4eve-6.jpg

I spotted a small boat returning to land.

ov_day4eve-7.jpg

ov_day4eve-8.jpg

ov_day4eve-9.jpg

ov_day4eve-10.jpg

It's always pretty special watching the day end this way and tonight's wrap of our first day in New Zealand was no exception.  

ov_day4eve-11.jpg

• Like 14

My excursion today is booked through a 3rd party.  We were directed to meet outside the port exit.

There is a short walk down the pier to the exit.

ov_day5-8.jpg

Maps were being handed out for anyone who wants to self explore.

ov_day5-6.jpg

ov_day5-7.jpg

The port entrance.

ov_day5-9.jpg

Immediately in front of the port entrance was a crowd of 3rd party vendors meeting their guests with sign boards.

ov_day5-10.jpg

My excursion today is the Deluxe Rotorua Geothermal Valley Geishers, Redwood Forest and lunch.  We were presented a menu to pick from and pre-order.

ov_day5-11.jpg

Kids menu:

ov_day5-12.jpg

Our driver had arrived early to secure a great parking spot right in front of the port entrance. 

ov_day5-13.jpg

• Like 4

Our driver toured us around town a little before getting on a highway and heading away from town.  Eventually we made our way through Kiwifruit Country.  

On each side of the road were tall natural barriers separated each parcel of farmland.

ov_day5-24.jpg

We had arrived in the land of Kiwi!

ov_day5-20.jpg

ov_day5-14.jpg

ov_day5-15.jpg

ov_day5-16.jpg

ov_day5-23.jpg

ov_day5-17.jpg

Samples of the Golden Kiwi (left) and the popular Green kiwi (right).

ov_day5-18.jpg

The store featured endless products made from kiwi.  Jams and chocolates to just about anything you can put fruit in was available including kiwi ice cream.  Yum.

ov_day5-19.jpg

ov_day5-21.jpg

ov_day5-22.jpg

Restrooms were also available.

• Like 6

After leaving the farm we drove for an hour or so to the Rotorua area.  The entire Rotorua area is within the collapsed dome of a volcano.  This includes a recreational freshwater lake and the town.  It also includes a Māori living community where we went next.

This is home to many people who open it up to run tours during the day.

ov_day5-25.jpg

Known in short as Whaka the proper and full name is presented below on a sign.  

ov_day5-26.jpg

An old tradition will see children swimming and diving for money thrown by visitors from the bridge. 

ov_day5-27.jpg

Our guides tells us he used to do that as a child but now he has other duties to fulfil around the community including being a guide for tours.

ov_day5-28.jpg

Everywhere around us steam is coming out of the ground.

ov_day5-29.jpg

In some spots they've built a box on top of these natural steam vents that are used for cooking.

ov_day5-30.jpg

ov_day5-31.jpg

ov_day5-32.jpg

ov_day5-33.jpg

This one natural thermal pool is around 80° or 90°C so it's way too warm to swim in but works great for cooking corn very quickly.

ov_day5-34.jpg

ov_day5-35.jpg

The water is constantly bubbling being fed from underground sources that heat the water.

ov_day5-36.jpg

ov_day5-37.jpg

Since this is a living community we see a number of homes like this one which are naturally heated in the winter months.

ov_day5-38.jpg

We were offered some freshly cooked corn on the cob to sample.

ov_day5-39.jpg

• Like 5

We were led to a viewing platform for two geysers, a small one on the left and a bigger one on the right.   

ov_day5-40.jpg

ov_day5-41.jpg

ov_day5-42.jpg

In places everywhere you look there is steam coming from the ground.

ov_day5-43.jpg

This small pool of water is at or near 100°C or 212°F.  It's bubbling like a pot of water on a cooktop. 

ov_day5-44.jpg

ov_day5-46.jpg

ov_day5-45.jpg

ov_day5-47.jpg

ov_day5-48.jpg

The geysers from a different view platform.

ov_day5-50.jpg

ov_day5-49.jpg

• Like 4

Then we were brought to an outdoor theater for some Māori cultural presentations.

ov_day5-51.jpg

One event was involved singing and throwing sticks with the goal of no stick hitting the ground.

ov_day5-52.jpg

ov_day5-53.jpg

Songs and dances were a way to remember and pass down items of cultural significance which ranged from love songs to war dances.

ov_day5-54.jpg

ov_day5-55.jpg

ov_day5-56.jpg

ov_day5-57.jpg

ov_day5-58.jpg

ov_day5-59.jpg

ov_day5-60.jpg

ov_day5-61.jpg

ov_day5-62.jpg

All very well done and well received by the crowds.

• Like 2

After the presentations we were given some free time to explore on our own.

We had been told there area is dry right now and in need of rain.  Normally these would be mud puddles bubbling with steam.

ov_day5-63.jpg

The geysers were going off again.

ov_day5-64.jpg

ov_day5-65.jpg

ov_day5-66.jpg

ov_day5-67.jpg

It's kind of weird seeing steam coming from the ground in every direction.

ov_day5-68.jpg

ov_day5-69.jpg

ov_day5-70.jpg

ov_day5-71.jpg

With that it was time to meet our driver and move on to our lunch stop.

ov_day5-72.jpg

• Like 5