This came today...

riandei

On 1/31/2020 at 6:25 PM, DeeniEncinitas said:

Thank you so much for your reply’

Enjoy your wonderful cruise.

Denise😊

Today we received a letter from Capt. Romtveit. It stated that no guest or crew who have visited mainland China in the past 30 days have been permitted onboard. It reminded about standard health and sanitation precautions. In highlighted yellow it had a paragraph stating that they are temporarily suspending self-service of food and beverages around the ship and increased the frequency of cleaning and sanitation of all commonly touched surfaces.

They stopped self-service ice in Terrace yesterday. This afternoon they had moved food in Baristas behind the counter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, dfb said:

Today we received a letter from Capt. Romtveit. It stated that no guest or crew who have visited mainland China in the past 30 days have been permitted onboard. It reminded about standard health and sanitation precautions. In highlighted yellow it had a paragraph stating that they are temporarily suspending self-service of food and beverages around the ship and increased the frequency of cleaning and sanitation of all commonly touched surfaces.

They stopped self-service ice in Terrace yesterday. This afternoon they had moved food in Baristas behind the counter.

I am very happy that they are taking the precautions as they are.dfb much appreciate your kindly reply again. Keep us all posted how things go onboard! 
Have a wonderful cruise.

Denise😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Where are you cruising? Is this for all the O ships regardless?

We are doing Miami to Lima.  January 22nd to March 15th. B to b to b.  We are presently on the Amazon River.  I am sure this letter reflects a company wide policy applicable to all their ships at sea.  Terrace Cafe now has plastic wrap and one wait staff person on each side of the dining area to wipe down the table and chairs after passengers finish eating.  Salt and pepper shakers still on the table, silverware on the table when you arrive, place mats still being used. Have not been to other venues since this all started so can’t comment on that.  Food and service still great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

10,000 people have died so far in this flu season, meanwhile 305 deaths due to corona virus. Why aren’t we in up in arms over the flu? What am I missing?

Well - one at least has the option to do something to reduce the chance of getting/reducing effects of the flu with a vaccine - a personal choice for many.

Not so for the corona and we still don’t know a lot about h\short and long term effects of corona.

I don’t know the exact math but it would appear that corona is more deadly - percentage -wise more of those with corona have died vs the millions with the flu.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ORV said:

10,000 people have died so far in this flu season, meanwhile 305 deaths due to corona virus. Why aren’t we in up in arms over the flu? What am I missing?

Point taken.

In the same vein...

Fewer than five people die from shark bites most years. In each 2016 and 2017, over 400,000 people died of malaria.

I have yet to turn on any of the nature channels and find 'Mosquito Week'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Following up, we started our 2nd Riviera segment in Miami on 2/4. Embarkation procedure at Terminal E was exactly the same as on 1/26 in the same place. There was no temperature scanning evident on 2/4 that we were previously notified by Oceania would take place for all embarking passengers.

The same letter we had received on the first segment about eliminating self-service food went out on this 2/4 segment. This afternoon the self-serve food is back in Baristas. The Terrace beverage station is still off-limits. We were docked in Nassau today with 5 other cruise ships.

In the letter we all received from Oceania regarding the procedures they have put in place for embarkation, they indicate that anyone who registers a temperature of 100.4 F or 38 C would be denied boarding but not receive a refund.  Instead would be advised to open a claim with their insurance provider.

We have travel insurance with Allianz.  So I called them today to ask what they would do in this case.  Their answer SUPRISE! Claim would be DENIED.

So people make sure you are not registering a temperature prior to boarding because you will have no recourse in recouping even one penny from either the Oceania or your insurance.  I am sure if Allianz has this policy so does every other insurance company.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

6 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

In the letter we all received from Oceania regarding the procedures they have put in place for embarkation, they indicate that anyone who registers a temperature of 100.4 F or 38 C would be denied boarding but not receive a refund.  Instead would be advised to open a claim with their insurance provider.

We have travel insurance with Allianz.  So I called them today to ask what they would do in this case.  Their answer SUPRISE! Claim would be DENIED.

So people make sure you are not registering a temperature prior to boarding because you will have no recourse in recouping even one penny from either the Oceania or your insurance.  I am sure if Allianz has this policy so does every other insurance company.

Terri

If one has a fever of 100.4° or more, why are you  attempting to embark on a cruise rather than cancelling and having your doctor affirm your decision to cancel?  That indeed is covered by your trip cancellation insurance.

38 c is hardly a fever and there must be a million causes of this, most only lasting a day or two. I can imagine an insurance company not accepting this as a cause not to travel! Before the corona virus scare, I certainly would generally not cancel a trip with a fever of 38 with symptoms of a cold, for example.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drkitkat123 said:

38 c is hardly a fever and there must be a million causes of this, most only lasting a day or two. I can imagine an insurance company not accepting this as a cause not to travel! Before the corona virus scare, I certainly would generally not cancel a trip with a fever of 38 with symptoms of a cold, for example.

But for only cold or other minor symptoms, I assume your could or would suppress your fever with over-the-counter medication before boarding.  Hopefully, it is the second policy described above in #20, with further evaluation by medical staff, that would occur before denial of boarding.

But apparently this temperature check is not (yet) occurring?

Edited by CintiPam