Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

No, not even remotely afraid. I'm a data driven person. You can make statistics appear however you intend. Some, like the media, love big numbers because they are scary. 

"Hundreds Hospitalized!" versus "0.04% of the state population hospitalized" are both factual headlines but give very different impressions. Put the latter on the local news and most people will shrug and go about their day. 

A lot of my friends think the sky is falling, but I just look at the data. Yes, take it seriously, but keep it in perspective. I have zero fear of getting on a plane, cruise ship or restaurant. The numbers don't justify fear. 

Looking forward to our next cruise, whenever it may be! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scottbro said:

No, not even remotely afraid. I'm a data driven person. You can make statistics appear however you intend. Some, like the media, love big numbers because they are scary. 

"Hundreds Hospitalized!" versus "0.04% of the state population hospitalized" are both factual headlines but give very different impressions. Put the latter on the local news and most people will shrug and go about their day. 

A lot of my friends think the sky is falling, but I just look at the data. Yes, take it seriously, but keep it in perspective. I have zero fear of getting on a plane, cruise ship or restaurant. The numbers don't justify fear. 

That is a wonderful way to look at life but not realistic.A friend of mine had the same perception as you.He died last Saturday from the Corona Virus.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Scottbro said:

That is not data driven analysis.  Only .04% of state’s population hospitalized is a problem if the state only has enough ICU beds for .01% of the population.  

The numbers don’t justify fear ONLY if you lack a basic understanding of what an exponential curve is.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

That is not data driven analysis.  Only .04% of state’s population hospitalized is a problem if the state only has enough ICU beds for .01% of the population.  

The numbers don’t justify fear ONLY if you lack a basic understanding of what an exponential curve is.

I agree with you. I'm very facts driven. But somehow the word "fear" doesn't work for me............well, wait a minute. Just found this on wikipedia.

"

Fear is a feeling or an emotion. A person who fears something does not want it to happen. The fear response comes from sensing danger. ... Fear is the body's way of protecting itself from doing things that may be dangerous. For example, if one has a fear of jumping off a cliff, he/she will not do it." 

So maybe it's irrational fear. Thanks for focusing me on that word.

48 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Indeed.

My friend's husband, in his 70s, has had COVID-19 for about 2 weeks. Last week he took a turn for the worse and my friend called 911. (Let me preface the rest by saying that their son is a doctor, albeit not living in the same state and had advised her to get him to the hospital.)

The EMTs arrived and took a look at him; they told him the choice was his but they recommended he stay at home -- the hospital was overflowing, he'd be sent to sit in the (full) waiting room and eventually sent home again, probably without ever seeing a doctor. This to a man with a high fever, cough and difficulty breathing.

If our hospitals are so full that people this sick cannot be seen to, then we are indeed in a bad place. Thankfully, he seems to have weathered that particular crisis but is not yet out of the woods. 

Edited by cruisemom42

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Our Governor is on TV every day giving us the worse news possible .There are more cases of the virus in NY than any other state.

Oh okay. BTW I think your governor is doing a great job. And it's not all bad news. Plus they have a responsibility to keep people safe so not allowing them to think it's close to being over is good. We're getting the same news locally. Sunday will be four weeks of social distancing.

Just now, clo said:

Oh okay. BTW I think your governor is doing a great job. And it's not all bad news. Plus they have a responsibility to keep people safe so not allowing them to think it's close to being over is good. We're getting the same news locally. Sunday will be four weeks of social distancing.

Today is 4 weeks for us.I told one of my daughters today that it is like being in jail with amenities. 

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

Today is 4 weeks for us.I told one of my daughters today that it is like being in jail with amenities. 

But then remind yourself that you have a roof over your head and you're not going hungry. We just doubled our monthly donation to our local food bank.

1 minute ago, clo said:

But then remind yourself that you have a roof over your head and you're not going hungry. We just doubled our monthly donation to our local food bank.

Correct but if we were in jail we would have a roof over our head and not be hungry.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Monday will be the start of my 7th week at home. Thank goodness for my work, otherwise I would be going absolutely bonkers.

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Monday will be the start of my 7th week at home. Thank goodness for my work, otherwise I would be going absolutely bonkers.

Yeah, you really took a hit.

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

That would not apply to the people living in Sweden.

What is special about Sweden?  Are Swedish people special or somehow COVID didn’t cross that border, last I checked epidemiology is same  in Sweden 

69C2A719-E3DB-4F58-BD3F-C60EC282173B.jpeg

BB949A25-4F4A-44EA-BEED-9BA89F18CA97.jpeg

6B7C8AC4-133D-46A3-8E07-307331CED073.jpeg

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I last worked in March 2000.When I worked last the internet was in its infancy.

Bob started "telecommuting" aka working from home in 1991 and did it via computers. Slow but got it done.

1 minute ago, clo said:

Bob started "telecommuting" aka working from home in 1991 and did it via computers. Slow but got it done.

In 1998 the company I worked for just began using the internet .I bought my first PC in 1999.Prior to that it was the typewriter,not an electric one .

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

In 1998 the company I worked for just began using the internet .I bought my first PC in 1999.Prior to that it was the typewriter,not an electric one .

Wow, they were dinosaurs! In mid 1970s I had a "word processor" that was a pre-internet 'computer.'

1 minute ago, clo said:

Wow, they were dinosaurs! In mid 1970s I had a "word processor" that was a pre-internet 'computer.'

I used a manual typewriter at work until 1996..I was just face timing with my grand kids,They never saw a typewriter before and I never did face timing till 4 weeks ago.

I told them that if this virus happened when I was their ages the family activity would be sitting in the living room listening to the radio.

18 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In Sweden schools.restaurants and malls are open.

I just looked that up and find it shocking.  I wonder how things will be a month from now in Sweden.  In an article I was reading, a head doctor at one of their hospitals said that doctors who test positive, but have no symptoms, keep working.  Wow.

Edited by TNcruising02

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I used a manual typewriter at work until 1996..I was just face timing with my grand kids,They never saw a typewriter before and I never did face timing till 4 weeks ago.

I told them that if this virus happened when I was their ages the family activity would be sitting in the living room listening to the radio.

I know this is OT but I'm astounded. I graduated high school in 1965 and don't believe I've used a manual typewriter since then. 

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I just looked that up and find it shocking.  I wonder how things will be a month from now in Sweden.  In an article I was reading, a head doctor at one of their hospitals said that doctors who test positive, but have no symptoms, keep working.  Wow.

I just looked and there are countless critical articles of their 'approach.' Shame on them.

• Like 1