Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

3 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Act fast or kill the economy. Both options are bad and equally painful.

We are dealing with a perfect storm -and we are making the worst of it by acting too fast in opening up - forcing later closings and killing the economy WHILE letting COVID kill millions.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sfaaa said:

We are dealing with a perfect storm -and we are making the worst of it by acting too fast in opening up - forcing later closings and killing the economy WHILE letting COVID kill millions.   

5 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Taiwan responded to the COVID19 threat fast and their economy is in better shape than nearly every country in the world 😁. Greece and Cyprus acted fast and they were even able to open a limited tourist season. The small Baltic countries were the first to open a travel bubble. Even Tunisia whose economy was shot to hell before COVID19 is doing better than some western European countries. So acting fast seems to stop the economy from completely falling apart🤔

I don't know if we will ever see the OLD America of 2019 again - at least for a long while.....the rioting and mayhem isn't helping. I can't believe that people aren't more angry with China for seeding the world with the virus. I will miss cruising and traveling- and this home quarantine sucks. Wearing masks and making choices about avoiding exposure are going to be our new normal for a while. I remember traveling to China and seeing everyone wearing masks and thinking, Thank God, we don't have to!!  

America is strong and we will work through this...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pandora said:

I can't believe that people aren't more angry with China for seeding the world with the virus.

Do you not know that the virus in the US came from Europe?

• Thanks 1

I don't know if we will ever see the OLD America of 2019 again

Too be fair it is not like America didn't have problems in 2019. Change doesn't always have to be bad, the optimist in me would like to think some good might come out of all this🤗

I can't believe that people aren't more angry with China for seeding the world with the virus.

I think being angry with China is a little irrational. China should have alerted the world earlier but at the end of the day the responsibility to how our countries responded to the threat is all on our own governments. By the time COVID 19 hit USA it had already spread through out Asia and the EU so it is not like America didn't have time to come up with a plan. Tunisia and Vietnam managed to co ordinate COVID 19 prevention plans and their meant to be third world. China gets the blame for the lack of resposibility at the beginning of this but the longer it goes on the mistakes our governments make isn't China's fault and the fact there are countries that have managed to keep low infection rates only proves that China isn't the only denominator. It is carthatic to blame China, we all want a bad guy to blame but it doesn't end up being useful or lead to anything contructive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/18/2020 at 4:38 AM, Pandora said:

But, interestingly, China will soon be stronger, and Americans will have to learn to adjust to that, just as we did after 1918.  Even now though it’s not fully sunk in.

On 7/16/2020 at 8:48 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Well five months on - I have to question the level of confidence expressed — certainly the US’s part of “the rest of the world” has NOT been that great at containment;  and the “end of April” has passed - with very little indication of it fading out.  

Now, about November......

Nice, went 5 months back to try to dunk on me.  But you're right, it didn't fade out in April.  In fact, April was the peak.  But then there is this:

US covid deaths peaked in the week of 4/18/20 at 16,935. Since then it has gone down EVERY SINGLE WEEK, and for the most recent week it is down to 1,099. Despite the re-openings. Despite the riots. Despite people resisting lockdowns, masks, and social distancing after seeing that the Blue politicians didn't care about these things for rioters. Despite the current hysteria about a spike in cases. Weekly deaths are down by nearly 94%.  You can find the data at this link:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

Some might question these numbers because they come from the CDC. But considering all of the hysteria the CDC is fomenting and contributing to, these numbers are what legal types might call statements against interest.

So, essentially I was correct except for the timing, for which I say mea culpa.  But a 94% decline in weekly deaths, especially when the weekly deaths have gone down every single week since the peak is a pretty strong sign of fading out.  If it holds at that level we're looking at 50,000 deaths per year.  There are a lot of things that kill 50,000 people per year, in a nation of 330,000,000, and we don't change our lives in any way because of those, let alone keep schools and half the economy closed as a result and force people to wear masks.

As far as my booked 11/7 Caribbean cruise, if it sails I still plan to be on it.

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Today it's 56.

People seem to want to wallow in bad news and ignore good news.  Like the good news, in the midst of "spiking cases" hysteria, that US weekly deaths are down 94% from the peak in mid April.  US weekly deaths declined every single week going from 16,935 at the peak down to 1,099 in the most recent week.

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

People seem to want to wallow in bad news and ignore good news.  Like the good news, in the midst of "spiking cases" hysteria, that US weekly deaths are down 94% from the peak in mid April.  US weekly deaths declined every single week going from 16,935 at the peak down to 1,099 in the most recent week.

Great news - COVID deaths are now down to a rate of just above 50,000 per year. So why not reopen everywhere - the recent spikes in infections  in a number of states MIGHT not mean anyone gets REALLY sick?

(Of course, it might be that the annual death rate is 50,000 ONLY because of the efforts of a lot of more cautious states.)

Keep trivializing- it seems to make you happy.

Edited by navybankerteacher

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

But, whatever the US 'President' chose to claim at today's press conference about it being the best in the world, the cold statistics show the US death rate per million population as the 10th highest in the world.

Not that we in the UK have anything to boast about - we're the fourth highest in the world!

On 7/17/2020 at 11:38 PM, Pandora said:

I don't know if we will ever see the OLD America of 2019 again - at least for a long while.....the rioting and mayhem isn't helping. I can't believe that people aren't more angry with China for seeding the world with the virus. I will miss cruising and traveling- and this home quarantine sucks. Wearing masks and making choices about avoiding exposure are going to be our new normal for a while. I remember traveling to China and seeing everyone wearing masks and thinking, Thank God, we don't have to!!  

First they have to deal with the looting problem .The politicians are too lax in this matter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

For me that seems like good news. 1,099 dead in one week is too much, of course, but still much better than 16,935.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

For me that seems like good news. 1,099 dead in one week is too much, of course, but still much better than 16,935.

Yes, thank you.   A continued decline is a good thing.  We just have further to go.  

Yes, thank you.   A continued decline is a good thing.  We just have further to go.  

From what I can tell, the average CV-19 deaths per day in the US over the last week or so is above 700; so, about 5,000 CV-19 related fatalities per week. Perhaps I’m looking at a different data set or interpreting things incorrectly?

Just now, d9704011 said:

From what I can tell, the average CV-19 deaths per day in the US over the last week or so is above 700; so, about 5,000 CV-19 related fatalities per week. Perhaps I’m looking at a different data set or interpreting things incorrectly?

I wasn't looking at any data to be truthful.  I was just commenting on the post about a downward trend. CDC says it is declined again but it is still an epidemic and a problem.  They (CDC) expect an increase due to current activity.  I hope the experts are wrong in this case, but we will see how the next few weeks play out I guess.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

The actual numbers:  Yesterday’s COVID death count in just:  

Florida 90,

Georgia 36,  

Arizona  147,

Texas 130.  

That 403 in four states in one day works out to over 2,800 per week.   And, since the infection rate in just those four states is continually growing, the death count is not likely to decline very soon.

i know the COVID deniers do not like hard facts — well, I do not like them.  Their resistance to accept reality - originally just ignorance - is now becoming malignant.  They are keeping the pandemic going, they are keeping the damage to our economy going.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1