Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

On 3/12/2020 at 8:58 PM, larrywizzit said:

Political ploy? To what end? To who’s benefit?
That makes no sense. 

I will let the many comments afterwords answer your questions. typical Media response trying to make this into a super pandemic to suit their agenda.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hawk/hornfan said:

I will let the many comments afterwords answer your questions. typical Media response trying to make this into a super pandemic to suit their agenda.

Clearly you've not noticed what's going on across the world - and in your own country.  You will - and very soon.  You can hide from the facts for a while, but not forever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Clearly you've not noticed what's going on across the world - and in your own country.  You will - and very soon.  You can hide from the facts for a while, but not forever.

Oh give over. 

Yes everything in now banned in the uk.

Banned by a scared government and a rabid scaremongering press.

But fear didnt stop

70,000 every day at Cheltenham this week.

It didnt stop our national conference on Thursday night  or visits to many very busy pubs afterwards.

It didnt stop myself and family going out to a very busy restaurant last night either.

I was working in London all week and everyone is cracking on as normal.

But of course the bbc this morning is searching like mad to find the odd individual totally terrified and making it seem like it's the majority.

If it was me I wound not risk it. I am not afraid of the virus itself, I am more afraid to be stuck in the middle of the ocean WITH the sick people. Moreover, there can be panic on board which can result in those zombie movies lol. I am serious. Why putting yourself in danger. If you still decide to go just be sure to take all the safety precautions. Maybe take a medical kit with you and try not to be around too many people on board. Take care

11 hours ago, That sinking feeling said:

If the government allowed Manchester united to play soccer tomorrow there would be 70,000 there.

I think you will find that the government has not prevented them from playing.

The UK Government has not yet issued a ban on large gatherings.

On 3/14/2020 at 11:29 PM, That sinking feeling said:

And now it seems the government plan is about to change too  

Massive lockdown expected. So the herd immunity plan looks like it's off now 

Welcome to the modern day dark age.

Massive lockdown delivered. Are you going to ignore it? Don't care about the elderly or frail eh!.

On 3/14/2020 at 7:29 PM, That sinking feeling said:

And now it seems the government plan is about to change too  

Massive lockdown expected. So the herd immunity plan looks like it's off now 

Welcome to the modern day dark age.

I suggest you suspend your bravado until the extent of this situation is ultimately realized.   Your survivors might feel embarrassed for you if things do not go your way.

Back on topic: now that the Coronavirus genie is out of the bottle, it will probably be always with us as a potential source of infection for those not immunized one way or the other.  It will simply one more reason to wash your hands-  added to Noro, regular flu, etc., etc., etc.

50 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suggest you suspend your bravado until the extent of this situation is ultimately realized.   Your survivors might feel embarrassed for you if things do not go your way.

Back on topic: now that the Coronavirus genie is out of the bottle, it will probably be always with us as a potential source of infection for those not immunized one way or the other.  It will simply one more reason to wash your hands-  added to Noro, regular flu, etc., etc., etc.

Indeed, until a full cycle, IE next winter goes thru both Northern and Southern Hemisphere will any sense of normal occur.   

If this is anything like the various flu then it will be with us yearly, and as we as a human species develop some immunity and weakest either develop immunity or worse lots of mitigation will be required and adjustment in behavior or continued impact as we see with the flu and mostly ignore/accept

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, rugerdog said:

Looking back at the OP, which was January 30, 2020, and reading all the responses, gives an interesting perspective.

I was thinking the same thing. All people saying don’t worry, the flu is so much worse are super quiet now.  I’ve been following since the beginning and went on a cruise that left  Feb. 29. I was scared and remember hoping it would be canceled but New Zealand seemed safe and talking to people I felt re-assured to go. Now I think thank god I got home healthy and safe. I know if we had run into problems, we could have been left on our own with no where to turn. Would I do it over, maybe not. 

Edited by Christine13020
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Christine13020 said:

Would I do it over, maybe not. 

First of all, I'm glad you made it back home safely.

I, too, had been following since the beginning, as I was looking to go on a spring cruise.  In fact, I had been invited by friends to join cruises that now have had serious issues.  I just wasn't comfortable with what I was seeing, and decided that, for me, it just wasn't worth the risk.

I’m not afraid of cruising. Most of the cruise ships had no cases. I am, however, terrified of getting on an airplane where social distancing is impossible. Because of that I won’t be going on my May overseas cruise (which is likely to cancel anyway). I will be driving or taking a train to my September cruise. And I hope November will be enough time because I must fly to that one and really don’t want to cancel. Any additional cruises I book between now and then will be out of ports I can drive to.

• Like 1

I don't see where cruise lines have come up with a plan for the future when someone on board has "flu-like" symptoms. This could be every single cruise. Are they going to go the same route of sailing in circles indefinitely until some port agrees to offload them? Then will all passengers be shipped off to some army base for 2 weeks of quarantine?

I don't know about anyone else, but if that is still the plan, I am not cruising. I can't take a week's vacation turning into God knows how many weeks of quarantine.

We are going to cancel out September Alaska cruise because of this.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ROXIETHEHORSE said:

I don't see where cruise lines have come up with a plan for the future when someone on board has "flu-like" symptoms. This could be every single cruise. Are they going to go the same route of sailing in circles indefinitely until some port agrees to offload them? Then will all passengers be shipped off to some army base for 2 weeks of quarantine?

I don't know about anyone else, but if that is still the plan, I am not cruising. I can't take a week's vacation turning into God knows how many weeks of quarantine.

We are going to cancel out September Alaska cruise because of this.

That's a good point.  There are always people that have symptoms on board.  

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 2:36 AM, GlamorousGirl said:

I’m not afraid of cruising. Most of the cruise ships had no cases. I am, however, terrified of getting on an airplane where social distancing is impossible. Because of that I won’t be going on my May overseas cruise (which is likely to cancel anyway). I will be driving or taking a train to my September cruise. And I hope November will be enough time because I must fly to that one and really don’t want to cancel. Any additional cruises I book between now and then will be out of ports I can drive to.

Maybe I don't understand something, but what is the point of being afraid of flights, but not afraid to spend a few weeks on a cruise ship, where not only a lot of people, but also a large number of common spaces. And the virus, as already known, can be picked up even just by touching the door handle, which was previously touched by an infected person.
Anyway, seriously, good luck to you. Take care of yourself and your loved ones

• Like 1