Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

8 hours ago, claudiniusmaximus said:

Good heavens. 

I hardly ever use these forums any more because all too often keyboard warriors seem poised to leap on and attack people wanting information or offering a

perspective. 

Seems like this one has fallen prey to it as well. 

I’m outta here. 

If you consider the reasoned answer you got as being attacked by a keyboard warrior I suggest coronavirus is the least of your worries. Sleep with the lights on.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hawk/hornfan said:

No, sailing regardless. I am to old to be frighten by the  hysterics of the masses.

Now it is reported  Corona virus has a deadlier death rate than the flu.  Hope you are not in the high risk group.

Safe travels.   And stay healthy on your cruise.

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not over 80, I hope, where the death rate is 14.8%.  Probably just as likely to contract it in the US though. 

The death rate is surely not what is being reported because that is simply based on the number of deaths against the number of KNOWN cases.  The actual number of cases is far far higher than the known cases.  So the actual death rate is really tiny.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

The death rate is surely not what is being reported because that is simply based on the number of deaths against the number of KNOWN cases.  The actual number of cases is far far higher than the known cases.  So the actual death rate is really tiny.

Going by this news report - though I fully accept that figures on this virus can be interpreted in any number of different ways!

On Tuesday (March 5), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization, said during a news conference that about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 patients around the world have died. In a Chinese analysis of more than 72,000 case records, 2.3% of those confirmed or suspected (based on symptoms and exposure) to have the virus died. Patients above 80 years of age had an alarmingly high fatality rate of 14.8%. Patients ages 70 to 79 years had a fatality rate of 8%. In Italy, where the death toll from the virus stood at 52 as of March 4, the fatalities were all in people over age 60.

57 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

This. As 4 out of 5 cases are likely to be very mild most will think they have a bad cold. This means they wont report it. There are reportedly 1000s of these cases.

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Going by this news report - though I fully accept that figures on this virus can be interpreted in any number of different ways!

On Tuesday (March 5), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of the World Health Organization, said during a news conference that about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 patients around the world have died. In a Chinese analysis of more than 72,000 case records, 2.3% of those confirmed or suspected (based on symptoms and exposure) to have the virus died. Patients above 80 years of age had an alarmingly high fatality rate of 14.8%. Patients ages 70 to 79 years had a fatality rate of 8%. In Italy, where the death toll from the virus stood at 52 as of March 4, the fatalities were all in people over age 60.

Yep.  Every figure there is based on KNOWN cases and so is massively overstated.   There will be 1000s of people who have the virus and don't even know it, 1000s who have it and the symptoms are so mild they don't bat an eyelid and just treat it the same as any normal cold / flu virus and will never report it to anyone.   I would be hugely surprised if the ACTUAL mortality rates were not somewhere between 0.01% and 0.5%

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

Yep.  Every figure there is based on KNOWN cases and so is massively overstated.   There will be 1000s of people who have the virus and don't even know it, 1000s who have it and the symptoms are so mild they don't bat an eyelid and just treat it the same as any normal cold / flu virus and will never report it to anyone.   I would be hugely surprised if the ACTUAL mortality rates were not somewhere between 0.01% and 0.5%

I am terrible at math.  But today it has been  reported 154 people in USA confirmed to be infected with Corona virus, 16 dead.

2 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

What is important about death rate figures are how do they relate to you and how you react to them. If you are in the higher risk group because of age and or medical problems what you want to know is what is the chance of me catching it, and having caught it what is the chance of needing hospitalisation, what is the chance of needing intensive care (there are only 4000 intensive care beds in England) and the biggie, what is my chance of dying. You won't care about all those young healthy people who just think they have caught a cold or the flu. actually you should care because a lot of them could be walking about infecting others. Having a perceived chance of not making it to next xmas can be somewhat worrying.

Meanwhile here in the UK the government are basing their plans on the Spanish flu epidemic in 1918. that killed over 200,000. The plans are modified for the changing conditions of this epidemic. Lets face it no one knows where this will end.

• Like 2

Interesting observation on a flight yesterday...everyone around us (including me) was pulling out wipes  to clean tray tables and armrests. While, I don’t know how much it will help, planes are probably cleaner than they have been.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Worth a read from recent WHO update, given the rising number of cases across the US, smells like we'll run the same course as China / Europe and Europe but far slower as we aren't as densely packed or traveling sorts as those countries, think US timeline will be 2-3x slower and based on how they are cropping up sure seems so.

Expect our mid-summer to look a lot like Wuhan in early February, then things will get exciting going into heart of election time.

We were planning a Northern Europe Cruise this summer, but we've put everything on hold.

Edited by chipmaster
  • Thanks 2

Our fear is not the virus.  It is more the fear of being quarantined on or off the ship, being restricted as to where we can fly, origin or departure, and the fear of ending up with a surprise cruise itinerary that we do not like because of closed access to ports.

For now our plan is to make travel plans that can be cancelled without penalty until we see where this goes.  It is early days yet on this issue and we suspect that it will get worse before it gets better.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, iancal said:

Our fear is not the virus.  It is more the fear of being quarantined on or off the ship, being restricted as to where we can fly, origin or departure, and the fear of ending up with a surprise cruise itinerary that we do not like because of closed access to ports.

For now our plan is to make travel plans that can be cancelled without penalty until we see where this goes.  It is early days yet on this issue and we suspect that it will get worse before it gets better.  

We are also making no travel plans that cannot be cancelled without penalty. 

We just returned from over  three weeks in a Mexican resort while this was blowing up elsewhere.  I couldn’t help but think how easily a resort could have the same issues as a cruise ship, given the close proximity of people. Also, the resort was selling day passes to cruise ship passengers. 

I had been looking at a Atlantic European cruise for fall...but, no longer. If things settle down we could always fashion something similar on a land basis, last minute. 

8 hours ago, That sinking feeling said:

Sorry but I read some of that. You sure that wasnt written by the scriptwriters for 28 days later?

It is the WHO always a day late and a dollar short, they are a politically mindful organization and puppets.

42 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

It is the WHO always a day late and a dollar short, they are a politically mindful organization and puppets.

I pay no attention to what the WHO says about this because they have been unduly influenced by China for a long time.  I look to CDC and NIH for far more reliable data and conclusions.  IMO, the only people who take that WHO 3.4% mortality rate figure seriously are people looking for a reason to panic, or trying to spread panic.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea

11 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I look to CDC and NIH for far more reliable data and conclusions. 

The same CDC who sat on their hands and utterly failed to start testing US patients in a timely fashion?

The vast bulk of scientific data is going to come out of China right now. Rejecting all of it out of hand doesn't seem like the right way forward. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

The vast bulk of scientific data is going to come out of China right now. Rejecting all of it out of hand doesn't seem like the right way forward. 

True. If it's good enough for New England Journal of Medicine, it's good enough for me to pay attention to.

• Like 4

We decided in mid Jan to spend Feb and March in Mexico instead Thailand etc where we usually go.  It was a fluke.  I guess we were lucky.  The five hour flight won out over three flights, 23 hours this year!

On 3/5/2020 at 2:56 AM, buggins0402 said:

Interesting observation on a flight yesterday...everyone around us (including me) was pulling out wipes  to clean tray tables and armrests. While, I don’t know how much it will help, planes are probably cleaner than they have been.

Such precautions are better than nothing in any case. In addition, the fact that many people have now begun to pay more attention to their own health and hygiene will not only help to stop spreading of the virus a little but also I hope will become a good habit for all of us

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

The same CDC who sat on their hands and utterly failed to start testing US patients in a timely fashion?

Alyssa James, 

Which country can you point o as an example of doing a better job than the USA?  None!  I follow the Worldometers data and countries far smaller than ours have much higher rates. I think the CDC and the USA have made really sound decisions, starting with our banning people who had been in mainland China to travel here. The natural progression into the community was inevitable.  Now, our country needs to work on getting medicines and vital products into the control of our own country's companies. China is welcome to continue to produce cheap toys and trinkets and other nonessentials.