Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

17 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Did it fail?  Has there been a widespread outbreak in Japan?  Keeping their people safe was the primary purpose of that quarantine.  The well being of the quarantined passengers and stopping the spread on the ship, was very much a secondary priority.

And so far only about 17% of passengers and crew have tested positive. I expect that will rise as there are still some passengers onboard and the crew are only starting their quarantine but I doubt it would get higher than 30% which means the quarantine hasn't totally failed.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Thanks 1

image.gif.940e6dee7430d6a2378a41853670583d.gif And some other websites have lots of information about the virus that is now spreading worldwide. We are hesitant about booking the next cruise because of this. Rapidly expanded outbreak in Italy and South Korea. Excellent information is now coming out. Suggested reading. The Princess ship should be a great example. 2 deaths and 2 still chronic illness many others still sick.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Did it fail?  Has there been a widespread outbreak in Japan?  Keeping their people safe was the primary purpose of that quarantine.  The well being of the quarantined passengers and stopping the spread on the ship, was very much a secondary priority.

One thing the coronavirus will reveal is the relative competence of government's around the world.

It didn't fail as far as the Japanese health authorities were concerned.  They is no evidence they considered alternative quarantine sites to deal with the outbreak.  Instead to protect their own people they forced crew and cruisers, most of whom weren't Japanese, to spend two-weeks in circumstances that facilitated the spread of the virus.    

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

It didn't fail as far as the Japanese health authorities were concerned.  They is no evidence they considered alternative quarantine sites to deal with the outbreak.  Instead to protect their own people they forced crew and cruisers, most of whom weren't Japanese, to spend two-weeks in circumstances that facilitated the spread of the virus.    

Correct - the point of the quarantine was to prevent wider spread-  which would have involved Japan.   Just because there were not effective methods on board the ship to isolate infected people from others does not negate the wider quarantine.

The same result might occur at US Air Force bases used as quarantine sites:  keeping all returnees in one area for two weeks until they are cleared must increase their chances of cross infection.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, K32682 said:

if the object of the quarantine was only to keep the japanese safe, why were the passengers kept apart?

i think it might have been an experiment to see of isolating folks actually stopped the spread of the virus??

just a thought.

1 hour ago, Viv0828 said:

if the object of the quarantine was only to keep the japanese safe, why were the passengers kept apart?

i think it might have been an experiment to see of isolating folks actually stopped the spread of the virus??

just a thought.

The only quarantine effectively imposed was that by Japan - in not letting passengers off the ship.  Whatever efforts made on the ship - which lacked facilities and expertise - could hardly be considered a quarantine.  Having untrained crew deliver meals to whichever passengers might have been separated from others was not going to be part of an effective quarantine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

The only quarantine effectively imposed was that by Japan - in not letting passengers off the ship.  Whatever efforts made on the ship - which lacked facilities and expertise - could hardly be considered a quarantine.  Having untrained crew deliver meals to whichever passengers might have been separated from others was not going to be part of an effective quarantine.

This is going to be interesting once the legal claims start. I'm sure Carnival will use some good lawyers.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Exactly right and keeping people together in their cabins wouldn't qualify as an effective quarantine either although there weren't many options available to Princess.

Edited by K32682

I am suppose to cruise on March 30, 2020 on the Disney Dream.  I can cancel the cruise on or before Friday of this week to get 1/2 of my money back.  I bought insurance so I will file a claim for the other half and if I do not get it Disney will give me a credit for half of what I am out.  I'm not scared of the coronavirus but I am scared of being quarantined so I will most likely cancel.  I'm still watching the news closely. I know the flu kills more people and all of that and I can catch this in my hometown but at least I would be quarantined in my home  instead of on a ship.  This would have been my 12 Disney Cruise and my 13 cruise so I'm not afraid of cruising in the least bit and not really of dying of the flu or coronavirus but quarantined on a ship sounds horrible to me sick or not.

42 minutes ago, ruskatz said:

I am suppose to cruise on March 30, 2020 on the Disney Dream.  I can cancel the cruise on or before Friday of this week to get 1/2 of my money back.  I bought insurance so I will file a claim for the other half and if I do not get it Disney will give me a credit for half of what I am out.  I'm not scared of the coronavirus but I am scared of being quarantined so I will most likely cancel.  I'm still watching the news closely. I know the flu kills more people and all of that and I can catch this in my hometown but at least I would be quarantined in my home  instead of on a ship.  This would have been my 12 Disney Cruise and my 13 cruise so I'm not afraid of cruising in the least bit and not really of dying of the flu or coronavirus but quarantined on a ship sounds horrible to me sick or not.

Don't cancel. I was just on a b2b Caribbean cruise and coronavirus hasn't really affected the area. Colds and coughs but canceling a trip in this region isn't necessary. If things take a severe turn for the worse, then cancel but the risk just isn't there yet. Where is the Dream going?

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

Don't cancel. I was just on a b2b Caribbean cruise and coronavirus hasn't really affected the area. Colds and coughs but canceling a trip in this region isn't necessary. If things take a severe turn for the worse, then cancel but the risk just isn't there yet. Where is the Dream going?

Nassau and Castaway Key which is Disney's Island in the Abaco Islands of the Bahamas.

To Ruskatz, 

we cancelled our caribbean cruise in march for the same reason you listed We have had the pleasure of traveling during every odd outbreak over the past 20 years but none that kept folks quaratined for 14 plus days. I cannot imagine healthy or unhealthy being kept in my cabin for a few days or weeks- so I understand the scare. We are traveling with a 2.5 year old who is extremely active so the situation even though highly unlikely was a nightmare for us to all be kept in a room- my child would go crazy, absoluetly crazy (rainey days are very hard).

My coworker is scheduled to go on a cruise at beginning of April and asked my opinion I told her to not cancel becuase she could explain to her 13, 15 and 17 year old why they may have to stay in their cabin -   a 2.5 yr old there is no explaining and reasoning 

Edited by ptjenn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ruskatz said:

"Fear of whatever" is seldom a "covered event" for insurers.

But, if you've got the right travel insurance, there may be a clause allowing you to initiate "Interruption/cancellation" if the CDC/State Dept have issued "stay away" travel advisories.

Not scared but I do think it warrants caution. This isn't like the Flu, there is no vaccine to help reduce your chances of contracting or and making it less severe if you do catch it. It's also spread by people that have no symptoms. So I would use common sense and probably not go to areas where there is an outbreak. You could get trapped somewhere or be sick and/or be quarantined in a foreign country relying on their medical treatment. They don't do that sort of thing with the Flu virus. For me its simply not worth taking the risk of that for just a vacation cruise. I'd postpone my trip to areas that have outbreaks till a later date or until the CDC has developed a vaccine. 

Edited by David_Dian

I am not assuming that the insurance will cover it and I'm guessing they will not. That is why I want to cancel before Friday because Disney will refund 50% back to me if I cancel now.  I will only be filing a claim for the other 50%  because if the insurance denies the claim Disney will then give me a credit for 75% of the money I lost and the credit is good for up to a year.  Disney will not give me the credit if I do not file a claim.  

We are having a Baltic cruise in late June. My wife is worried, while I am not very much.

The day after tomorrow is the date of final payment. We have 48 hours to consider it.

It is not the beginning of the crisis now.The governments and the cruise lines have learnt from what had happened. The cruise companies have much more concern  than cruisers. They will never want any of their ships to be another Diamond Princess. And, if the virus spreads seriously across the whole Europe, most countries will shut down their border. We cannot sail to anywhere even though we want to cruise.

So, let the cruise company and the governments to make the decision for us.

1 hour ago, Wymond said:

We are having a Baltic cruise in late June. My wife is worried, while I am not very much.

The day after tomorrow is the date of final payment. We have 48 hours to consider it.

It is not the beginning of the crisis now.The governments and the cruise lines have learnt from what had happened. The cruise companies have much more concern  than cruisers. They will never want any of their ships to be another Diamond Princess. And, if the virus spreads seriously across the whole Europe, most countries will shut down their border. We cannot sail to anywhere even though we want to cruise.

So, let the cruise company and the governments to make the decision for us.

I am sharing you concern.

20 hours ago, ptjenn said:

To Ruskatz, 

we cancelled our caribbean cruise in march for the same reason you listed We have had the pleasure of traveling during every odd outbreak over the past 20 years but none that kept folks quaratined for 14 plus days. I cannot imagine healthy or unhealthy being kept in my cabin for a few days or weeks- so I understand the scare. We are traveling with a 2.5 year old who is extremely active so the situation even though highly unlikely was a nightmare for us to all be kept in a room- my child would go crazy, absoluetly crazy (rainey days are very hard).

My coworker is scheduled to go on a cruise at beginning of April and asked my opinion I told her to not cancel becuase she could explain to her 13, 15 and 17 year old why they may have to stay in their cabin -   a 2.5 yr old there is no explaining and reasoning 

I can understand that.  Being locked up in a cabin with a two year old for that long would be beyond torture.  I've got a cruise on March 8th with my grandson, but he's a teen.  He'd probably look at more like an adventure and post live videos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

I'm getting a little worried.  I have to make the final pmt on March 7th. What to do. I take the responsibly for my decision but I still don't want to loose my investment.

If you're really worried I'd just cancel it if you can. For me its just another vacation, I can always go another time. I'm not going to take any risks of being quarantined on some ship for days or weeks, no matter how small. We have a med cruise in august so are watching the situation.