Are you afraid of the coronavirus in your next cruise?

librarygal

1 hour ago, clo said:

I just looked and there are countless critical articles of their 'approach.' Shame on them.

They say the Nordic countries with their different strategies for COVID19 and similar demographics will make for interesting case studies in how to cope with pandemics. So far I would say Sweden is an example of what not to do but who knows if in the long run they don't turn out to be right😳 Still I think if I had to choose I would rather be in Norway. At least they have more ICU beds😋

Coronavirus: why the Nordics are our best bet for comparing strategies

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

Norway

Where we would have been. They shut down the country. Visitors, and maybe residents (can't remember), have to quarantine for two weeks when entering.

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I just looked that up and find it shocking.  I wonder how things will be a month from now in Sweden.  In an article I was reading, a head doctor at one of their hospitals said that doctors who test positive, but have no symptoms, keep working.  Wow.

I read that parents are angry and sent letters to the government but nobody is listening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And they have a much higher death rate than the next door Norway, which has taken a more aggressive approach.

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

And they have a much higher death rate than the next door Norway, which has taken a more aggressive approach.

Exactly,that was my point.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

No,that was not it at all.I have a picture of myself sitting next to it. It was a lot more modern looking.

And it didn't get plugged into an outlet?

ETA: I graduated from high school in '65 and the IBM Selectric came out in '61.

July 31, 1961

Later this month, IBM will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Selectric typewriter. Released on July 31, 1961, the Selectric was unarguably a game-changer in the typewriter space.Jul 27, 2011
Edited by clo

8 minutes ago, clo said:

And it didn't get plugged into an outlet?

ETA: I graduated from high school in '65 and the IBM Selectric came out in '61.

July 31, 1961

Later this month, IBM will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Selectric typewriter. Released on July 31, 1961, the Selectric was unarguably a game-changer in the typewriter space.Jul 27, 2011

It was a Smith Corona typewriter.

In July of 1961 I was working for a newspaper and they had Royal typewriters that looked like the one you posted.

3 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In July of 1961 I was working for a newspaper and they had Royal typewriters that looked like the one you posted.

But didn't you say you used this type for decades? We had computers in the 80s.

6 minutes ago, clo said:

But didn't you say you used this type for decades? We had computers in the 80s.

The company that I worked for from 1972 to 1996 never had computers .

The only time that I had a job where employees had computers was in March of 1999 and I left the company two months later.

I had 2 more jobs where there were computers but I personally did not use them.

• 3 months later...
On 2/20/2020 at 2:44 PM, Toofarfromthesea said:

11 deaths outside of China, where government secrecy and denial were the worst possible reaction and contributed to it getting out of hand THERE, is over-hyped, IMO.  I'm pretty confident of 2 things.  1) the rest of the world has been and will continue to be, much better at containment than China has been, and 2) by the end of April it will fade out.

No chance I would cancel my upcoming cruise this November.

Well five months on - I have to question the level of confidence expressed — certainly the US’s part of “the rest of the world” has NOT been that great at containment;  and the “end of April” has passed - with very little indication of it fading out.  

Now, about November......

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2020 at 3:09 AM, TNcruising02 said:

I just looked that up and find it shocking.  I wonder how things will be a month from now in Sweden.  In an article I was reading, a head doctor at one of their hospitals said that doctors who test positive, but have no symptoms, keep working.  Wow.

Interesting to see this thread alive again!

April 11 when you wrote your post we had 492 Covid-19 patients in intensive care in Sweden. One month later, May 11, the number was 448. Yesterdays number was 70. We are doing just fine here right now.

We defenitely have too many deaths here but considering what happen in the US right now we probably have to wait before we evaluate which strategy was the best.

6 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Interesting to see this thread alive again!

April 11 when you wrote your post we had 492 Covid-19 patients in intensive care in Sweden. One month later, May 11, the number was 448. Yesterdays number was 70. We are doing just fine here right now.

We defenitely have too many deaths here but considering what happen in the US right now we probably have to wait before we evaluate which strategy was the best.

We often talk here in the UK of the Swedish Experiment, because of Sweden’s different approach.

Sweden may well be proved right in due course, particularly from an economic standpoint. 

Certainly the UK has handled it, and continues to handle it, badly, but that’s mainly down to a problem we have right at the top.

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We often talk here in the UK of the Swedish Experiment, because of Sweden’s different approach.

Sweden may well be proved right in due course, particularly from an economic standpoint. 

Certainly the UK has handled it, and continues to handle it, badly, but that’s mainly down to a problem we have right at the top.

It's better if you talk about the Swedish strategy! It's a strategy, not an experiment!

What has gone wrong in the UK? You have done much more than Sweden to prevent spreading of the virus but you still have many deaths. Any specific mistake you have done?

3 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

It's better if you talk about the Swedish strategy! It's a strategy, not an experiment!

What has gone wrong in the UK? You have done much more than Sweden to prevent spreading of the virus but you still have many deaths. Any specific mistake you have done?

The mistake we made was to elect a Prime Minister with a known track record of failure.  Most major projects he's had anything to do with have gone badly wrong,  and this was always going to end badly. 

We've also been running down our health services since 2010, and contingency planning was cut out.  Our hospitals coped, but only because thousands of people weren't allowed anywhere near them. Hospital patients were shipped out in fact to die in private sector care homes. 

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

we probably have to wait before we evaluate which strategy was the best.

I think we already know the best strategy, it was to act fast 😂. All the countries that have come out on top so far are the countries that did not wait and see they were the ones that enacted Covid-19 prevention before infection numbers got into double digits. The rest of the world waited too long leaving the only options to either try and slow the tide or just give up and let the virus pass through the whole population. Neither strategy has beaten out acting fast. 

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I think we already know the best strategy, it was to act fast 😂. All the countries that have come out on top so far are the countries that did not wait and see they were the ones that enacted Covid-19 prevention before infection numbers got into double digits. The rest of the world waited too long leaving the only options to either try and slow the tide or just give up and let the virus pass through the whole population. Neither strategy has beaten out acting fast. 

Sadly, the UK was very slow to act.

Our Prime Minister chose to miss 5 key Cobra (emergency security) meetings, at the crucial time, and spent his time concentrating instead on his complicated personal life and the urgent need for a divorce. That delay of around two weeks before any proper action was taken is estimated by our scientists and medics to have cost as many as 20,000 lives.