Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

17 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

There was a very technical graph and also the argument that the majority of deaths were inside china and the more people get it and don't die the death rate will go down. If it is 2% and the majority are elderly there is a real chance as horrible as this sounds that the cruising industry might not survive.

Naw. They would just aim at younger people. CEO's make big bank making all these calculations and business decisions. 

I am all for lower prices. but I don't think demand will be affected in 5 yrs from now bc of covid19. just my guess

Edited by Farts
  • Like 2

Been following David Abel..his last utube was short but sally mentioned they heard and saw a crew member taping the air vents in hall with paper and duct tape...it was a vent right outside their room..then she called the couple next door same for them...then they get the news they are positive..bet cabin next door got same...leaves one clearly thinking that air flow may be part of the problem...people can dispute that but sure could be and frankly I am now questioning how many false positives they have..as I have said all along..quarantine failed these passengers and eventually they will all get it.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

Been following David Abel..his last utube was short but sally mentioned they heard and saw a crew member taping the air vents in hall with paper and duct tape...it was a vent right outside their room..then she called the couple next door same for them...then they get the news they are positive..bet cabin next door got same...leaves one clearly thinking that air flow may be part of the problem...people can dispute that but sure could be and frankly I am now questioning how many false positives they have..as I have said all along..quarantine failed these passengers and eventually they will all get it.

This behaviour of taping seems like an admittance that their isolation hasn’t worked. They were tested two days ago and so were positive back then and therefore contagious back then. Maybe longer than that as they hadn’t been tested previously. I cannot imagine that they will be letting people off the ship to walk amongst the Japanese. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, em-sk said:

What is odd about all of this is for the US and Canada they are requiring an additional 14 day quarantine away from the ship.  Sounds like that is not a requirement if staying in Japan.  

I'm rather surprised that they Japanese authorities are apparently still planning to go through with letting people off the ship after the 14 day quarantine. If there was no new transmission of the virus since the quarantine began, and the incubation period really is up to 14 days max, with one day of quarantine left shouldn't we be expecting the number of cases to be trending toward, if not already at, zero?

That's not what we're seeing. Every day there are almost 100 new cases. 88 today.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Everyone needs to understand that the primary goal of any quarantine is to protect those outside the quarantine from what is inside the quarantine This quarantine was modified in the case of Diamond Princess where a) passengers from each cabin were separated (the best they can) from passengers/crew from other cabins, b) there was routine in/out of healthcare workers from ashore to monitor the situation, c) sick individuals were removed from the quarantine

Despite the modifications, the PRIMARY goal of the quarantine is still to keep the pathogen from getting out of the ship.  The secondary "quarantine," which was never meant to work that well, but more of a way to keep the passengers and families from losing their minds (and I would too, if I were in that situation), not really a real quarantine.  I think everyone, especially those directly affected should accept this unfortunate reality, instead of saying that "quarantine did not work."  It's especially unfortunate that some of the US officials, presumably under political pressure, was told to say that the additional infections among the passengers/crew onboard is due to the quarantine "failing."

As I said “the quarantine failed these passengers” and I would add the crew too...!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I'm rather surprised that they Japanese authorities are apparently still planning to go through with letting people off the ship after the 14 day quarantine. If there was no new transmission of the virus since the quarantine began, and the incubation period really is up to 14 days max, with one day of quarantine left shouldn't we be expecting the number of cases to be trending toward, if not already at, zero?

That's not what we're seeing. Every day there are almost 100 new cases. 88 today.

"The lockdown officially ends tomorrow, but only around 500 passengers are expected to leave the ship on Wednesday. "

Bad idea.

Can anyone involved make a good decision? Are they all imbeciles?

You cannot let anyone off this ship to just roam free wherever they please. 324 have proved positive in the LAST FOUR DAYS. Quarantine has NOT worked.

This is a recipe for disaster in all countries when these people make their way to their respective countries. They must all now go to isolation in a proper quarantined place for a further 14 days without the kind of appalling  interactions they have had on the ship. That was a complete waste of everybody's time on the ship obviously.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Dreadful situation for all on board.

The testing seems to done late but probably hampered by lack of resources, human and material, given the circumstances.

Difficult for the Japanese authorities too to facing this crisis.

Global public health authorities seem to be not on top of this either.

Some countries are either not testing/lack of resources, or extremely lucky to have almost zero cases reported??

Hate to imagine what is happening in china at the centre of this mess.  

2 hours ago, teamflames said:

Ok what is happening? Outside of Wuhan there has been no infection transmission like this? Either global governments are not testing/reporting correctly or this ship is a true Petri dish!

The ship (and other holding ares) are the only environments where people who feel fine take their temperature twice a day and get tested for a slightly elevated fever and recently started testing people without a fever. Elsewhere you need to be seriously sick.  This suggest for every person confirmed to have the virus world wide there is a bunch more that never realize they had it, maybe with absolutely no symptoms or maybe thinking they had a bad cold.  

Bad news for containment. Good news for survival rates.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

As I said “the quarantine failed these passengers” and I would add the crew too...!

I’d argue it failed it’s primary purpose as well. We are on the end of the quarantine and infected patients are already making their way to other countries. Yes, the US for example has put those people into their own quarantine to redo the attempt to prevent it spreading to the population at large. But in the meantime a bunch of people are about to disembark a ship in which new cases are still being added everyday. I find it a bit unbelievably at this point to think there hasn’t been recent exposure and spread. The governments of the world are very much acting (and hinting at) their failure to believe it as well. 
14 days ago if everyone just walked off the ship, how many would have been carriers? How many are now? We will never know for sure but it is quiet possible this quarantine that was meant to keep the virus from spreading off ship has multiplied such that now MORE carriers are about to get off than 14 days ago. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, phil the brit said:

Some "EXPERTS" are going to have to answer some alkward questions when this is all over.

I say experts, I wouldn't trust most of them to run a bath for me.

Answer what questions? This was an unprecedented situation with a new disease, and while lots of people here have spoken confidently about how things should have been done differently, most of those people aren't even in agreement with each other about the specifics. 

And for the spooky 'we'll never know how many are dead in China' stuff, it's 2020, everyone has a cellphone and an online presence, and it's actually quite difficult to hide the fact of hundreds or thousands of dead bodies lying around. 

Edited by AlyssaJames
  • Like 6

Agree.

Especially when some are more concerned about the economic factors of a prolonged crisis than the consequences of public health?

Of course the economic losses are important but should not guide or nudge the public health agenda. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tamsno said:

Kathy49 - Where did you get the information that David and Sally Abel tested positive. 

Apologies for the tabloid source. (Son wants the UK to do a special trip to pick up just his parents, apparently.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8015215/British-tourists-David-Sally-Abel-test-positive-coronavirus.html

Edited by AlyssaJames

5 minutes ago, tamsno said:

Kathy49 - Where did you get the information that David and Sally Abel tested positive. 

David announced it on Facebook. And his Son Steve announced it on BBC this am

Edited by Caymus88
Sp
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Bad news for containment. Good news for survival rates.

Exactly. Assuming that for every person that is confirmed positive there is at least one asymptomatic person who actually has the virus, or who only gets very mild symptoms, the actual death rate would be closer to 1%. If the rate of infected persons with mild (or no) symptoms is even higher, this might point towards a real death rate more in line with the common flu. 

The death rate outside of China also points to this, with only 5/989 cases being fatal so far.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

Answer what questions? This was an unprecedented situation with a new disease, and while lots of people here have spoken confidently about how things should have been done differently, most of those people aren't even in agreement with each other about the specifics. 

And for the spooky 'we'll never know how many are dead in China' stuff, it's 2020, everyone has a cellphone and an online presence, and it's actually quite difficult to hide the fact of hundreds or thousands of dead bodies lying around. 

What questions? Are you serious? Questions about the poor decisions made by "experts" about air pollution, food delivery, contact with staff and other members of the public, screening, I could go on and on.

So many bad decisions. I know, monday morning quarterback is easy etc. David and Sally's room to hallway vent was only taped up THIS MORNING, a bit late don't you think?

• Like 2

Princess Cruises  is my first choice for cruising, I was on the Sapphire in January, will be on the Emerald in April and if it is still sailing the Diamond Princess for Christmas here in Asia,   I'm not happy because this has effect not only guests and crew but  also friends on mine on the ship.   

David Abel is a friend of mine and we have talked up until today, I know he will pull through this with his wife. It is very strange that they are sending him to a place with no internet or outside contract. it really seems like Japan wants David and Sally to stop reporting to the World.  It is also clear the quarantine on the ship was a total failure, in fact the ship seems to have spread this virus. So far less than half the guests have been tested, if the infection rate holds better than 50% of the ship would be infected.  right now it is over 28% of the complete tests are positive.  I hope to get more information if David's phone is working or he gets a Japan prepaid phone to use.   

Thant is the sad bad news...How about some good news? Do people remember the Honeymoon Couple David and Sally talked about.. Alan & Wendy Steele?  Alan who is young just about 59 tested positive a few days into the quarantine on the ship. But had no signs, he was sent to the hospital, and retested many times. His wife Wendy was left alone in the Cabin. Alan was told today a few hours ago (Now 10:30 pm Tuesday in Japan) that he will be released from the Hospital tomorrow and he is free.  

Wendy was just tested about 12 hours ago and it will take a couple of days to know if she is virus free. I do not understand why they (Japan) waited almost two weeks to test her? seems crazy to me.  Hoping her tests is clean and she can go home. Have talked to Alan several times over the last few hours he is very happy and will go to a hotel near the port. His first stop will be McDonald's as he hates the local hospital food he was served.   Several of them around the port so he will be happy. It is good news he is cleared, bad news is he will miss the UK flight home as it should leave before Wendy is cleared.  

So again yes sad that David & sally are positive but I know they will be fine. Happy that Allan and Wendy are one step closer to this being over and done.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Andrisk123 said:

The death rate outside of China also points to this, with only 5/989 cases being fatal so far.

I'd been worrying slightly about the fact that very few of the US cases have switched over to 'resolved', especially that couple in San Benito who had reportedly gotten worse, but apparently the US is just monitoring people very closely for an extended period before they consider them resolved. And protecting their identities, which is probably a good idea in the Age of Hysteria.

The San Francisco Department of Public Health said Friday the couple were discharged from UCSF “in good health,” but did not indicate whether they had been cleared to resume their normal lives.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02/14/two-weeks-later-first-santa-clara-county-coronavirus-victim-still-isolated/

3 hours ago, teamflames said:

Ok what is happening? Outside of Wuhan there has been no infection transmission like this? Either global governments are not testing/reporting correctly or this ship is a true Petri dish!

So much for all the aemchair doctors who were posting earlier 😀.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

Everyone needs to understand that the primary goal of any quarantine is to protect those outside the quarantine from what is inside the quarantine This quarantine was modified in the case of Diamond Princess where a) passengers from each cabin were separated (the best they can) from passengers/crew from other cabins, b) there was routine in/out of healthcare workers from ashore to monitor the situation, c) sick individuals were removed from the quarantine

Despite the modifications, the PRIMARY goal of the quarantine is still to keep the pathogen from getting out of the ship.  The secondary "quarantine," which was never meant to work that well, but more of a way to keep the passengers and families from losing their minds (and I would too, if I were in that situation), not really a real quarantine.  I think everyone, especially those directly affected should accept this unfortunate reality, instead of saying that "quarantine did not work."  It's especially unfortunate that some of the US officials, presumably under political pressure, was told to say that the additional infections among the passengers/crew onboard is due to the quarantine "failing."

Of course we should believe everything we read on the internet and not believe government officials. 😀