Denied boarding

erllje

23 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The only reason these folks are still on the ship is because the Customs isn't letting them off.  

I highly doubt "customs" has anything to do with it, as "customs" is concerned with goods, not people.  Perhaps you mean immigration.

1 minute ago, ducklite said:

1.  It was the flu per a lab test.  I was prescribed Tamiflu.

2.  Highly doubtful as I got the flu over two months after having the vax.

3 & 4. DING DING DING--ie the vax flat out doesn't work half the time.  Big pharma selling us a bill of goods and reaping in billions in the process.

If it only works half the time, then it prevents half the flu cases.

The flu has resulted in 9.3 million to 49 million illnesses each year in the United States since 2010. Each year, on average, five to 20 percent of the United States population gets the flu. It is estimated that the flu results in 31.4 million outpatient visits and more than 200,000 hospitalizations each year.Nov 19, 2018

https://www.healthline.com/health/influenza/facts-and-statistics#1

Seems like preventing half that would be worthwhile.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Are you positive that this is how things work in other countries?

I've traveled to almost 40 countries, and that's the way it's worked in every one of them.  Do you have a specific country that does it differently?

I'm going to use an example that I'm sure will get picked a part as "not the same." I used to manage a small, local gym. We would have to make decisions on closing due to bad weather. This is a gym that people paid over $100/month to utilize. There was a pretty bad ice storm several years ago. The timing was ALL OVER THE place from the weather people. Timing, amount, severity were all inconsistent. We were left waiting until the last minute to close. However, we (the owner and I) were already there and had decided to wait it out a bit. A few folks (3) showed up not getting the text, e-mail or social media posts stating we would be closed. We offered them a drink (we sold various protein, energy and juice drinks) or a coupon to bring a friend for free for their trouble. Two declined the offer. However, the goodwill of offering something that cost us virtually nothing was appreciated.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I've traveled to almost 40 countries, and that's the way it's worked in every one of them.  Do you have a specific country that does it differently?

No, but I've been in some where it wasn't clear who the agents worked for.  I'm just not into making sweeping statements.

23 minutes ago, ducklite said:

3 & 4. DING DING DING--ie the vax flat out doesn't work half the time. 

How well does the vaccine work if you don't get it?

Ever hear of herd immunity? Do you know that some people can't have the vaccine and rely on the immunity of the majority of their neighbors not to get a nasty case of the flu themselves?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JennyB1977 said:

I'm going to use an example that I'm sure will get picked a part as "not the same." I used to manage a small, local gym. We would have to make decisions on closing due to bad weather. This is a gym that people paid over $100/month to utilize. There was a pretty bad ice storm several years ago. The timing was ALL OVER THE place from the weather people. Timing, amount, severity were all inconsistent. We were left waiting until the last minute to close. However, we (the owner and I) were already there and had decided to wait it out a bit. A few folks (3) showed up not getting the text, e-mail or social media posts stating we would be closed. We offered them a drink (we sold various protein, energy and juice drinks) or a coupon to bring a friend for free for their trouble. Two declined the offer. However, the goodwill of offering something that cost us virtually nothing was appreciated.

So, using your experience as an example, the cruise line should offer them a free drink on their next cruise?

• Like 2

Just now, Underwatr said:

Ever hear of herd immunity? Do you know that some people can't have the vaccine and rely on the immunity of the majority of their neighbors not to get a nasty case of the flu themselves?

I have the Hep A vax, it's over 95% effective.  I'm getting a measles booster at my upcoming physical, that's 97% effective.  The flu is 50% tops.  Until they figure out how to make it at least 75%, I'm not seeing this as an viable solution.

5 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Just like I hope people wash their hands to not spread Noro.  I work from home and rarely go out during flu season if that makes you feel better.  

@RocketMan275 As I stated earlier (e.g #31, 39, 52, 54...), I believe (and rarely am I on the side of the the customer receiving anything free) that in this case (meaning the guests that had already begun their journey through HK before the notice went out) the guests denied boarding should receive some additional FCC as a "hey we know you had no way to fix this". The refunded cruise fare plus an additional $500 FCC would go a long way to keeping the guest happy with X and using them in the future.

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 12:08 PM, erllje said:

What I meant about being booted from our hotel was our flight out was not till 6:30PM we asked for a late check out but didn’t receive. We will get a refund from Celebrity for the cruise but we will not be reimbursed for airfare which was $2498.13. I feel since they waited to the last minute to deny us boarding they should reimburse us for flights.

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

@RocketMan275 As I stated earlier (e.g #31, 39, 52, 54...), I believe (and rarely am I on the side of the the customer receiving anything free) that in this case (meaning the guests that had already begun their journey through HK before the notice went out) the guests denied boarding should receive some additional FCC as a "hey we know you had no way to fix this". The refunded cruise fare plus an additional $500 FCC would go a long way to keeping the guest happy with X and using them in the future.

Looks like they did get a refund.  Once again, OP didn't book the airfare through celebrity.  Hard to give a refund for something they didn't purchase from you.  Somewhat like demanding Hardee's give you a refund for the burger you bought at McDonalds. 

@RocketMan275 I am not suggesting the FCC be considered a refund for airfare. I don't believe they are owed that as I have stated previously. I know they were given a dollar for dollar refund of their cruise fare. However, my point is as a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience of flying halfway around the world for nothing a little FCC would go a long way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

1.  It was the flu per a lab test.  I was prescribed Tamiflu.

2.  Highly doubtful as I got the flu over two months after having the vax.

3 & 4. DING DING DING--ie the vax flat out doesn't work half the time.  Big pharma selling us a bill of goods and reaping in billions in the process.

50% effective still sounds better to me than 0%. I get my flu shot every year. My insurance covers it and they administer them free at work. A teeny tiny sacrifice of a little pain and 5 minutes of my time to have a 50% effective immunity against the flu sounds like a decent deal to me. I think most insurance covers flu shot anymore.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

50% effective still sounds better to me than 0%. I get my flu shot every year. My insurance covers it and they administer them free at work. A teeny tiny sacrifice of a little pain and 5 minutes of my time to have a 50% effective immunity against the flu sounds like a decent deal to me. I think most insurance covers flu shot anymore.

You are able to get it for free on your employers time.  I do not have that luxury.

19 minutes ago, ducklite said:

You are able to get it for free on your employers time.  I do not have that luxury.

True, it is nice. But every pharmacy and most grocery stores where I live offer flu shots. If you can go the fall without stepping into a pharmacy or grocery store then I suppose it would be out of your way. Otherwise it's again a sacrifice of a few minutes while you are going about your day.

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

True, it is nice. But every pharmacy and most grocery stores where I live offer flu shots. If you can go the fall without stepping into a pharmacy or grocery store then I suppose it would be out of your way. Otherwise it's again a sacrifice of a few minutes while you are going about your day.

The wait to get a flu shot at a pharmacy around here is typically 1-3 hours.   I don't spend that much time outside my home in the fall.

Just now, ducklite said:

The wait to get a flu shot at a pharmacy around here is typically 1-3 hours.   I don't spend that much time outside my home in the fall.

Well, this is a decision that is certainly dependent on your health and lifestyle factors. If you don't leave your house much then you probably stand a significantly smaller chance of being expose anyway, making the flu shot superfluous. 

2 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

But these people want money.  And money never costs virtually nothing.  If it clearly is 'not the same' (but really not even in the same county) it is hard to see how this is an example of anything.  Except maybe virtue signalling.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea

27 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

This virus is not an act of god. It is an act of men being careless with their well being and the well being of others. Caused directly by the action or inaction of people.

Another person who does not understand the concept.  A clue:  war is, within the meaning of the term, an act of god.  Which is caused by people.  But still in legal parlance it's an act of god.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Looks like they did get a refund.  Once again, OP didn't book the airfare through celebrity.  Hard to give a refund for something they didn't purchase from you.  Somewhat like demanding Hardee's give you a refund for the burger you bought at McDonalds. 

It can't be that hard. People have posted letters from their cruiselines who have offered to reimburse them for the cost of flights, pre and post accomodations even those not booked through the cruise line due to cancelling cruises because of the Coronavirus. A lot of insurances have exemptions for epidemics and pandemics so a lot of people won't get their money back for those reasons. I guess the intangible asset must have a higher value than the financial loss to those lines.

Edited by ilikeanswers

6 hours ago, ducklite said:

What insurance do you have that doesn't cover a flu shot? ACA requires it be covered, although insurers can dictate where you have to go for it.