Quarantine: Cruise Ship vs. Air Force Base?

DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

So, they thought they were doing the right thing, but actually made it worse.

1 hour ago, Nn2036 said:

The passengers should have been evacuated at the beginning .

Hopefully, the practice of quarantine people on cruise ship is no longer allowed in the future.

That would have been impossible as there was no place set up to handle a 3000 person quarantine.  Nor would testing everyone been possible.  We can’t just alter the capabilities of the area to fit our desires.

With 20-20 hindsight what should have been done.

1. Immediately stop using reusable dishes and culinary and switched to disposable.

2. Almost immediately had all meals be brought onto the ship with crew members just delivering food that is sealed.  (I was calling for this since the beginning)

3. Begin discussions and plans for repatriation with various countries earlier.  (Note this is different than expecting Japan to take everyone)

18 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

So, they thought they were doing the right thing, but actually made it worse.

Sadly, too often the real expertise of 'experts' seems to be unintended consequences.

OTOH, the top priority of a quarantine is to prevent the contagion from escaping the quarantine area.  Preventing spread of the contagion within the quarantine are is important, but decidedly a secondary priority.

8 hours ago, mom says said:

Read this morning that the Canadian govt will be sending a plane to bring back the Canadians aboard the ship. But the poor souls will face another 2 weeks in quarantine on the Air Base.

They won't be at Trenton but according to the CBC they and the current detainees will be moved to the Nav Canada Centre in Cornwall, Ontario. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/diamond-princess-evacuation-quarantine-1.5465921

What I wonder is if a Canadian passenger who is asymptomatic, tests negative and is cleared by the Japanese health authorities could leave the boat on his own, book a flight home and skip the additional two weeks of quarantine.  It's what I would do if possible. 

20 hours ago, K32682 said:

They won't be at Trenton but according to the CBC they and the current detainees will be moved to the Nav Canada Centre in Cornwall, Ontario. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/diamond-princess-evacuation-quarantine-1.5465921

What I wonder is if a Canadian passenger who is asymptomatic, tests negative and is cleared by the Japanese health authorities could leave the boat on his own, book a flight home and skip the additional two weeks of quarantine.  It's what I would do if possible. 

I strongly suspect that if someone tried that and really pushed it, handcuffs would come into play.

30 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I strongly suspect that if someone tried that and really pushed it, handcuffs would come into play.

Handcuffs are not coming into play for Canadian passengers who were on the Westerdam.  They are being encouraged to "self-isolate."  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/westerdam-cruise-canadians-return-home-1.5466131

For a Canadian on the Diamond Princess once the Japanese health officials give you the all-clear you would be free to go.  Cab to the airport, flight home, no mandatory quarantine unlike the people who take the government charter.  A free flight from Tokyo is not worth being banged up in the Nav Canada Centre in Cornwall for two weeks.  

3 hours ago, Nn2036 said:

The health experts now think that most of the infection on the ship was during the quarantine due to this mishandled quarantine, probably spreading by sick crews bringing food.

And still they seem unwilling to address the issue of transmission by air-con units from cabin to cabin.  The article glibly states:

"In a letter to Diamond Princess passengers and crew, the CDC said it had no evidence to indicate that the virus could spread through vents."

Which simply means they aren't interested in doing the most basic of tests.

Just set off a smoke grenade in a balcony cabin whilst at sea, open the balcony door letting high pressure air rush in and watch that smoke appear in neighbouring cabins.  Not really difficult to test is it ?!!

53 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Just set off a smoke grenade in a balcony cabin whilst at sea, open the balcony door letting high pressure air rush in and watch that smoke appear in neighbouring cabins.  Not really difficult to test is it ?!!

No, not a difficult test, but difficult to obtain the results you keep spouting, since it wouldn't happen that way, and the systems are not designed the way you "believe" by your "common sense observations" them to be.  Not only are cabins not under less pressure than the outside, but you do understand the Bernoulli, or venturi, effect?  If the ship is moving, so that air is flowing past the balcony door on the outside, it will create a low pressure in the cabin and suck air out, not in.

And, land based buildings use recirculated air far more than ships do.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

so that air is flowing past the balcony door on the outside, it will create a low pressure in the cabin and suck air out, not in.

Were that the actual case then opening the cabin door whilst the balcony door was open would see the cabin door slam open.  The reality is that you can barely push the cabin door open at all which surely suggests air is rushing IN not out.

33 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Were that the actual case then opening the cabin door whilst the balcony door was open would see the cabin door slam open.  The reality is that you can barely push the cabin door open at all which surely suggests air is rushing IN not out.

Yeah, I guess that hundreds of years of physics are wrong.  And all those CC posters who have stated that they nearly broke their arms when the door from the passageway did in fact slam open.  Most cabin doors that I'm familiar with open inwards into the cabin.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:50 AM, sparks1093 said:

When I was in the Navy we considered Air Force bases to be the equivalent of a cruise ship. I would probably choose that for the same reason as stated- it's closer to home.

An Air Force Base is built in the following order:

The Officer's Club

The Golf Course

The Flight Line

20 minutes ago, txjim09 said:

An Air Force Base is built in the following order:

The Officer's Club

The Golf Course

The Flight Line

That's my understanding, so when they run out of money they go back to Congress they have to pay to get the flight line built.

The air force base due to the fact it might actually end with you going home. Quarantine on a cruise ship seems to only mean you have another quarantine to follow. And the chances of catching the virus on the ship despite the quarantine are too high.